: Charging problems

ddickson69
01-28-13, 05:51 PM
I have a 2000 Cadillac Catera that won't keep a charge. I have replace the battery and alteranter. Does anyone know what less it come be. I test the battery and it seems to be drawn power all the time any guess?

Thanks for your help advance

marko69
01-29-13, 12:31 AM
What does the voltage read across the battery when the car is running? should be more then 13.7 volts. when the car is not running? should be more than 12.3 volts.
To measure the battery drain when the car is not running: Grab a multimeter and put it on the 10A scale or highier. Disconnect the negative battery cable, put one led of the mutimeter on the negative terminal of the battery and the other led at the end of the battery cable. Find a way to keep the leds connected for about 10 minutes (c-clamps, ect). With doors closed and all accessories off, you should read around 1 or 2 amps at first, wait about 10 minutes, then the reading should drop to about 15 milliamps, drop the scale of the multimeter to get a better reading. If you read more then say 30 milliamps, then something is draining the battery. Pull the fuses one at a time until the reading drops to around 15 milliamps.