: Yellow Engine Maintenance Light

dsciola
01-28-13, 05:32 PM
Expert Mir Fix its,

My yellow engine maintenance light in my 2005 Escalade has been on for the last cpl weeks. Any thoughts on what the issue mite be?

Doubt its the oil, had that changed <3k miles ago, typically can last me about 5k miles. Dont think engine is getting hot, havent had a warning light come on yet for that, gauge has
been steady thus far, had to replace a water pump yr ago to fix an overheated engine, fyi.

thx!

Dom

wesyder
01-28-13, 05:42 PM
Expert Mir Fix its,

My yellow engine maintenance light in my 2005 Escalade has been on for the last cpl weeks. Any thoughts on what the issue mite be?

Doubt its the oil, had that changed <3k miles ago, typically can last me about 5k miles. Dont think engine is getting hot, havent had a warning light come on yet for that, gauge has
been steady thus far, had to replace a water pump yr ago to fix an overheated engine, fyi.

thx!

Dom

Too many possibilities gonna need to scan for codes

the cadillac man
01-28-13, 05:59 PM
Too many possibilities gonna need to scan for codes

+1 check for codes and post what you find

Airdorn
01-28-13, 07:00 PM
Go to one of those consumer auto parts stores like Autozone and tell them about it. They'll walk outside and plug-in their little scanner and tell you what's causing the light. When they tell you, write the code and description down and then post it back here.

dsciola
01-29-13, 01:55 PM
Go to one of those consumer auto parts stores like Autozone and tell them about it. They'll walk outside and plug-in their little scanner and tell you what's causing the light. When they tell you, write the code and description down and then post it back here.

Sweet, will do, thx!

dsciola
02-01-13, 02:08 PM

Went to O'Reilly auto parts, plugged in the machine and my reading was...

P0455 Generic
Evaporative Emission
System Leak Detected
(Gross leak/no flow)

The guy at O'Reilly said sounds like either...

a - Cannister Vent valve issue
b - gas cap issue, need to tighten or replace

He suggested then tightening my gas cap and seeing if that fixed it. If not, might have to take to an autoshop and have them diagnose problem. Tightened gas cap and so far light is still on.

He did say when I walked in he wasn't sure device would work since it was having trouble earlier, so don't know if the reading came out 100% correct...

Any thoughts? Pic attached of reading also.

Thx!
Dom

the cadillac man
02-01-13, 03:40 PM
Went to O'Reilly auto parts, plugged in the machine and my reading was...

P0455 Generic
Evaporative Emission
System Leak Detected
(Gross leak/no flow)

The guy at O'Reilly said sounds like either...

a - Cannister Vent valve issue
b - gas cap issue, need to tighten or replace

He suggested then tightening my gas cap and seeing if that fixed it. If not, might have to take to an autoshop and have them diagnose problem. Tightened gas cap and so far light is still on.

He did say when I walked in he wasn't sure device would work since it was having trouble earlier, so don't know if the reading came out 100% correct...

Any thoughts? Pic attached of reading also.

Thx!
Dom

Given the code it seems like the gas cap needs replacing I had that happen on my 03 I replaced the gas cap the light went off

dsciola
02-01-13, 05:41 PM
IC. What's best / cheapest option for replacing gas cap?

the cadillac man
02-01-13, 07:28 PM
IC. What's best / cheapest option for replacing gas cap?

Try a parts place

Airdorn
02-03-13, 01:26 AM
Hrm, I have a similar code and have had for a while. By similar, I mean that it has to do with the evaporative system.

I think that unless you are embarrassed by that yellow light, or you are experiencing some kind of performance failure, you can pretty much ignore it; it has to do more with saving the environment than anything else.

I guess my main point is that this is not one of those DIRE problems you need to stop and take care of this minute. In fact, you could probably drive the thing from now on with no problems other than pissing-off some California environmentalist.

five337
02-03-13, 02:39 AM
I don't know about other states, but here in Nevada that code would cause you to not be able to pass your yearly smog and not register your car when it is due.

Hrm, I have a similar code and have had for a while. By similar, I mean that it has to do with the evaporative system.

I think that unless you are embarrassed by that yellow light, or you are experiencing some kind of performance failure, you can pretty much ignore it; it has to do more with saving the environment than anything else.

I guess my main point is that this is not one of those DIRE problems you need to stop and take care of this minute. In fact, you could probably drive the thing from now on with no problems other than pissing-off some California environmentalist.

the cadillac man
02-03-13, 02:56 AM
I don't know about other states, but here in Nevada that code would cause you to not be able to pass your yearly smog and not register your car when it is due.

They are the same way in Kentucky I know as I have seen cars with the state inspection sticker on them.

Airdorn
02-03-13, 10:16 AM
Yeah, the thing won't pass inspection with the light on here, too. I can turn the light off for a couple of days using the code reader but I guess the OP doesn't have one of those.

dsciola
02-04-13, 01:58 PM
Yeah, the thing won't pass inspection with the light on here, too. I can turn the light off for a couple of days using the code reader but I guess the OP doesn't have one of those.

Gotta love the gov't...once again making frivolous laws they arent event capable of enforcing...

My yellow light actually turned off today, so I think im pretty much good. My hunch would be it had something to do with the gas cap as previously mentioned. Can a loose gas cap or bad evaporative system cause LT gas mileage deterioration?

FWIW, in my last fill-up, I got 13mpg, which for my Escalade is AWESOME unless Im going on a SD to seattle road trip!

thx again

Dom

the cadillac man
02-04-13, 02:54 PM
Gotta love the gov't...once again making frivolous laws they arent event capable of enforcing...

My yellow light actually turned off today, so I think im pretty much good. My hunch would be it had something to do with the gas cap as previously mentioned. Can a loose gas cap or bad evaporative system cause LT gas mileage deterioration?

FWIW, in my last fill-up, I got 13mpg, which for my Escalade is AWESOME unless Im going on a SD to seattle road trip!

thx again

Dom

The gas cap cause the service engine light to come on
I agree the gov't sucks with the laws as far as enforcing them