: Thoughts On De-Ving An STS

originalgarage
01-28-13, 01:01 PM
I'm sure this will raise some eyebrows, but in light of my recent accident I am stongly considering a non-V front end on my '08. At the same time I want to stay true to the V heritage, and because of this I am not 100%.

The first thing that grabbed my attention was the non-V fogs, but after looking at a ton of pics I have came to the conclusion that I prefer the non-V bumper as a whole because, IMO, it works better with the lines of the car. My main concern is the additional cooling of the V bumper. I have come up with a potential solution for the brake ducts, but nothing so far regarding the engine cooling.

To keep the V look I would install high end upper and lower mesh grills.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc188/BLACKonBLACK98/STS-V/hr_1868126_zpsa248c98f.jpg

I am also considering the early model non vented fenders and debadging the sides for a clean, mish-mash, sleeper look. I am also going to powdercoat the wheels satin black and the calipers yellow to recreate the "black diamond" theme found on the CTS-V.

I think it will be a clean "OEM+" restyling, but interested to hear other's opinions.

Ludacrisvp
01-28-13, 09:31 PM
I prefer the V rear appearance and non-V front for the STS; however the V style grille would be nice. (if it was CTS then I would say V would be the only way to go.) regarding vented / non-vented fenders I would go with whichever costs less in the end.

originalgarage
01-29-13, 11:39 AM
so i'm not the only one. good. i really like the '08+ non-v bumpers, but the non-v grills are an eyesore. unfortunately i have to buy them regardless to use the trim for the mesh inserts. i want to retain the v look, just clean it up a little. i'm pretty much set on the idea now, so if anyone has any ideas for increasing the engine cooling lmk.

as ffar as the fenders go i'll most likely do the non-vented. i'm not against fender vents, but when i look @ the earlier models with mods similar to what i have in mind they look cleaner. i'm sure i can make a good portion of my money back by selling the undamaged fender and grills.

Ludacrisvp
01-30-13, 09:45 PM
Do you really need the trim parts? Doesn't the aftermarket grille come with what's needed?

originalgarage
01-31-13, 11:01 AM
no, to install the aftermarket grills some pieces of the oem grills are used. i took a look at the install instructions and it's more involved than one would think.

06 STS Rob
01-31-13, 12:15 PM
You HAVE to keep the V hood though! I did a grill install on my Mom's 300 a few years back and yes, it is pretty involved. Easy to do though, just time consuming

originalgarage
01-31-13, 07:05 PM
definitely. i love looking from behing the raised hood.