: newbie to sts

silver02ta
01-27-13, 11:43 PM
Hello everyone!! I have always had trans ams and i just bought an 05 STS V8 RWD....i love the car but was wondering about an engine swap? I know alot of people say just sell and buy a STS V.....buttt i like to be different. Ive did a search on here and couldnt find my answer. From what ive read the STS is based off the sigma platform which is the same as the CTS V......is it possible to swap motor monts and engine brackets to fit in an LS engine?

1BadCadSTS
01-27-13, 11:50 PM
Have fun and deep pocket. I have a 98 SS. Want to go fast ill take that out. You should do the same.

orange57
01-27-13, 11:52 PM
Welcome. I have been toying with the idea of an LS swap, but mostly just in my head, as I know it would be a lot of work. And I can't have the car down for that long. So it would probablly be cheaper and definitely quicker to find a V, whether an STS or CTS.

As is though, the Northstar is quite stout and provides some pretty good pick up. After all, the car is 4000lbs.

scott9001
01-28-13, 08:26 AM
i hate how everyone talks about needing deep pockets for these cars and anything aftermarket just grow a set and hit it balls deep and worry about the price later!

1BadCadSTS
01-28-13, 09:13 AM
I guess it makes complete sense to dump 25k into a v or lsx swap when you can buy a STSv or ctsv. Some people have more money than brains and power to them. A fool and his gold are soon parted...

orange57
01-28-13, 12:12 PM
I don't think it is about having more money than brains. For some, myself included, cars are a hobby. And with most hobby's, you may not be looking for a return on your investment, but rather the enjoyment of the activity.

I have seen many people put an LS into a Miata, with a price tag in the $10-20K range, only to later sell the car for $8k.

Yes, I have thought about an LS swap, in fact i think about it often, but i know how deep my pockets are, and with a kid on the way, the pockets will only get shallower. If i had a second car, a bigger bank account, a larger garage with the space to work, and the time to do it, i would still consider it over purchasing a V. But that is just me, and some people already think i am a little bit out there already.

silver02ta
01-28-13, 12:44 PM
i understand its gonna take money to do it.....my question is what all would it need?? if i swapped the engine mounts/brackets would it fit right in? The computer would obviously need to be replaced or tuned....what about the tranny? Has anyone ever done it? And no i dont want to go buy a V car...i got this car really cheap and just want to know whats intailed. Thanks!!

curtc
01-28-13, 02:18 PM
Hard to say what one would need as I don't know of anyone thats even attempted it.

orange57
01-28-13, 02:35 PM
I don't know of any attempts either. I would think you would need a different trans also. Others may be able to attest to this, but i believe the trans computer and engine computer speak to each other. Therefore if you replace one, the other may not work. Also, the trans wouldn't stand up to the abuse. I believe the Corvette and the V used the 5L80/6L80, which were designed tor the higher torque and hp requirements.

The STS didn't sell in the numbers the CTS did, and with a higher price point most who purchased the car were not much into the modding scene, therefore there isn't a lot of aftermarket support. If you do venture down the path please keep us updated. You may spark some renewed interest in an outdated beast.

1BadCadSTS
01-28-13, 03:49 PM
CTSv parts car and a hell of a lot of time

EChas3
01-28-13, 08:18 PM
The devil is in the details. Nothing is going to communicate with your DIC or gauges (Oops, Cadillac calls them gages).

Have fun!

orange57
01-28-13, 11:30 PM
that would be the biggest obstacle, I think. Getting all the gadgets to work properly.