: KPE and IPF Tuning Performance Upgrades - ATS 2.0T and 3.6L DI

KPE
01-27-13, 08:37 PM
We are excited to announce the release of our IPF Tuning products for the ATS.

The IPF Tuning product has a long history of tuning with the direct injection GM engine line.

For those who may not know us, KPE is a tuner and 'cut our teeth' on the V series line. We manufacture and market a complete line of components for CTS V vehicles. Everything from tuning software to long-tube headers. Our cat-back exhaust systems are very populand unique.

Having said all that, we are excited to introduce our ATS line of products.

KPE is the exclusive distributor of the IPF Tuning Products (for more information, visit www.IPF-Tuning.com).

IPF, through its German partner, has been tuning GM direct injection cars since 2002 when they were introduced in Europe.

We use a very simple module called the Intelligent Power Flasher, which tunes a car in a matter of minutes.

Performance results:

ATS 2.0 Turbo - 72-81 RWHP (climate and altitude dependent)

ATS 3.6L DI - 24-29 RWHP (climate and altitude dependent)

Our software, will increase driveability and throttle response and in most cases increases fuel economy. (Requires minimum 91 octane fuel). Our tunes also can not be detected by a dealer and can easily be put back to stock if so desired.

Prices for the tuning software start at $395 and are available directly from KPE or one of our authorized dealers.

In addition to the software, we will also be releasing our cat and axle back exhaust systems for the 2.0T and 3.6DI motors.

As well, IPF manufactures a supercharger kit for the V6 (3.6L) Camaro, and we are gauging interest in building an supercharger kit for the 3.6DI. Our Camaro kit features a Vortech V3 supercharger, front mount intercooler and available supplemental powertrain warranty.

To kick off our ATS product offering, we are offering a complimentary software upgrade with before and after dyno testing on our 4 wheel Mustang Dynamometer. We will offer this to one ATS 2.0T and one ATS 3.6DI to get your feedback to the forum. Car does need to be at our facility in Tempe, AZ and we would need the car for one full day.

Please PM or email sales@KPE-Products.com if you are interested. This is on a first come first serve basis.

Thank you and we look forward to serving the ATS market!

Jesse Stone - Sales Director
jesse@KPE-Products.com
888-222-4291
www.KPE-Products.com

ewired
01-28-13, 08:06 AM
email sent

unclemoose
01-28-13, 08:41 AM
Wow, nice! Great price, too!

mikesul
01-28-13, 01:51 PM
Any CAI in the pipeline? Loved the KPE I had on my '11 Coupe.

Yplus
01-28-13, 04:32 PM
Is that 72-81 RWHP with a stock exhaust? If so, WOW. Would not mind to see what that feels like.

KPE
01-28-13, 05:12 PM
That is correct! We will have images of our axle and cat-back turbo exhaust this week. Stay tuned...

Atswatcher
01-28-13, 07:21 PM
That is correct! We will have images of our axle and cat-back turbo exhaust this week. Stay tuned...

Please post sound clips when you are ready, thx. Is it for 2.0T?

gfxbt
01-28-13, 09:53 PM
When will the tuning software be available?

The Tony Show
01-29-13, 10:57 AM
"Our tunes can not be detected by the dealer"

So you're saying that the CVNs will match the printout on TIS2WEB even after your calibration?

exesivefire
01-29-13, 11:02 PM
I'm interested, but very skeptical of the above statement....

TX_ATS
01-30-13, 01:41 PM
Interested. Email sent.

ripped
01-31-13, 03:48 PM
I'm not trying to question your credibility or anything but I see a few problems with the gains you are posting. The car in the pictures in the first post is clearly strapped to a Mustang Dyno, but the dyno sheet on your Facebook page says "DYNOJET RESEARCH" on the top. You also posted that these results are for the ATS, Regal GS, and Malibu LTZ. The Regal GS does not come with the same engine that the ATS and Malibu have. Which car are those results from? I searched around on the internet and could not find any feedback from anyone on your tune for any of the listed vehicles. You mention that you need this car for a full day, but in my past experience (I've owned several GM 2.0T cars in the past including a Solstice GXP and a Cobalt SS Turbocharged) dyno tunes only take a couple of hours max. Have you actually tuned one of these before? It almost sounds like you have not, and are looking for someone to leave their car with you to experiment on.

----------

Btw those pics look like they where taken at evoms headquarters
I use to have there software on my gli

bluhaven
01-31-13, 04:18 PM
72 to 81hp is a pretty big jump for just a tune on a stock setup? Do you also tune the tranny?

Kevin

sqkid89
02-01-13, 02:41 PM
good to see some more variety coming to these cars for aftermarket upgrades. looking forward to some photos of the CAI

KPE
02-03-13, 01:34 AM
When will the tuning software be available?

Tuning software is available now. Contact the sales department for either a dealer near you or how to tune personally.

Thanks,

----------

72 to 81hp is a pretty big jump for just a tune on a stock setup? Do you also tune the tranny?

Kevin

We can tune the tranny for those with Autos. Not all models offer TCU upgrades, however. Please check with sales for complete details.

Thanks,

----------

I'm not trying to question your credibility or anything but I see a few problems with the gains you are posting. The car in the pictures in the first post is clearly strapped to a Mustang Dyno, but the dyno sheet on your Facebook page says "DYNOJET RESEARCH" on the top. You also posted that these results are for the ATS, Regal GS, and Malibu LTZ. The Regal GS does not come with the same engine that the ATS and Malibu have. Which car are those results from? I searched around on the internet and could not find any feedback from anyone on your tune for any of the listed vehicles. You mention that you need this car for a full day, but in my past experience (I've owned several GM 2.0T cars in the past including a Solstice GXP and a Cobalt SS Turbocharged) dyno tunes only take a couple of hours max. Have you actually tuned one of these before? It almost sounds like you have not, and are looking for someone to leave their car with you to experiment on.

----------

Btw those pics look like they where taken at evoms headquarters
I use to have there software on my gli

Sorry, you are correct, the dyno sheet you refer to is for the Regal GS only. It was a typo on the photo. We ask for the car to be dropped off for the day due to scheduling with the dyno. Thank you for clarifying. Obviously we have tuned one, if we are posting photos of it on our dyno. We are offering a complimentary tune to a forum member to provide feedback to the group.

Yes, EVO MS is also our office too. They are a great partner!

ripped
02-03-13, 07:30 AM
Thanks for clarifying

Siren05
03-15-13, 07:39 PM
Hey.

What was your baseline dyno? On the 2.0T. and what was the rwhp and rwtq after your tune?

turbo2.0
04-07-13, 09:46 PM
Keep hearing stories about parts being released, sure would be nice to see some product.

Stevo Supremo
04-07-13, 10:43 PM
I'd like to see a Dyno Video with obvious camera panning to before and after screens, not calling you guys liars, but a 80Hp jump in power from a tune with no supporting mods is a "gotta see it to believe it" thing

I think whats on most peoples mind though is warranty, is this actually undetectable? I know they can figure out the last time you took a crap at a dealership if they have to.

is it a select able tune through "mode" ?

if I have an aftermarket intake, can it be calibrated to deal with that to? will it work on a manual just the same?

Finally, to tune it, is that $395+ $100 or so for a cable? is it a simple plug in, load the software and you're good to go?

mikesul
04-08-13, 08:01 AM
80 HP without bolt-ons doesn't sound feasible.

Hoosier Daddy
04-08-13, 09:15 AM
It's possible. But I won't believe it without independent proof.

I think 80 may be remotely "possible" because GM must severely reduce the potential boost the turbo could make. It makes max torque at a very low RPM and apparently, then cuts boost to cap that torque peak at higher RPMs. If you just removed the cap, 80 extra HP seems reasonable. Of course there is a reason GM limited the torque output and we don't know what part fails first if torque and/or RPMs are raised enough to translate into 80 extra HP. I think 80 HP falls within the "survive one or two dyno runs without blowing up" range. So even if the tune does make an extra 80 on a dyno, I'll wait to see how long customer motors last.

Siren05
04-08-13, 11:10 PM
It won't blow the engine.. Tune is everything on a boosted engine. But I see realistically 80whp added
With a downpipe and intake + tune. Pistons are weak point on the LTG IMO. FORGED RODS AND
CRANKSHAFT definitely are not. Add fuel and boost,timing. more air in and less blockage with high flow or
Catless downpipe. I'm pretty sure we can safely see 300 rwhp and 320 rwtq. Not sure how big injectors
are or fuel pump but my guess is 300 rwhp and 320rwtq will push tem too there safe limits.

----------

It won't blow the engine.. Tune is everything on a boosted engine. But I see realistically 80whp added
With a downpipe and intake + tune. Pistons are weak point on the LTG IMO. FORGED RODS AND
CRANKSHAFT definitely are not. Add fuel and boost,timing. more air in and less blockage with high flow or
Catless downpipe. I'm pretty sure we can safely see 300 rwhp and 320 rwtq. Not sure how big injectors
are or fuel pump but my guess is 300 rwhp and 320rwtq will push tem too there safe limits.

But never say never when mechanical parts are involved. Safe tune will prevent detonation.

Kael
06-06-13, 03:10 PM
I have seen gains like that from turbo cars before, it is not out of the realm of possibility.
This is also 80 hp at the crank, not the wheels. Also this would be a peak horsepower improvement.
the standard power graph for this engine looks like a table, all the power coming on at a low rpm and keeping it to the higher rpm band. this tune probably adds a peak in the late middle of the graph.
What would be most telling would be a 1/4 mile run of a tuned car vs a non tuned car. Or a before and after. Or heck the before and after dyno sheets wold be nice, I could work a "this makes it faster or slower" from that.

breakaway87
06-22-13, 09:35 AM
KPE seems to have disappeared from this thread yet their product is live on their website without gains listed or dyno charts, etc. I have called KPE and emailed them and yet I get nothing.

Hoosier Daddy
06-22-13, 10:49 AM
KPE seems to have disappeared from this thread yet their product is live on their website without gains listed or dyno charts, etc. I have called KPE and emailed them and yet I get nothing.
I think KPE is in Phoenix. Anyone have an address? I'll swing by and see what's up.

breakaway87
06-22-13, 11:23 AM
I think KPE is in Phoenix. Anyone have an address? I'll swing by and see what's up.

their website lists
Korkar Performance Engineering
1625 E Weber Dr.
Tempe, AZ 85281

YoshiFD3S
06-25-13, 03:38 PM
Dyno's don't give "to the flywheel" numbers, and for any company to advertise "to the flywheel" horsepower is retarded. That would mean the tune is only producing upwards of 30-40hp to the wheels, which although perhaps more realistic...it's obviously misleading and disappointing.

I have a custom tune on my 2011 Sonata 2.0T that took it from 231hp/231tq to 293hp/256tq.

Direct-injected 2.0T motors have A LOT of potential, so from experience I would agree that 70+HP is definitely possible, but my immediate concern would be things like the stock intercooler having terrible heatsoak.

Basically, for anyone buying these tunes..I would highly recommend you at least do follow-on BPU's to help compensate for the increased Intake Air Temps, increased exhaust flow requirements, etc.

What I want to know is, would this be a straight "CAN" tune that you buy and run and that's it? Is there any product support after that? Like for people like me who would run full BPU's in addition to the tune?

And what about user-level tuning?

Whether it's the Sonata/Optima community or here, I'm recognizing a consistent lack of user-level tuning options. I guess it's these company's ways of keeping you as returning customers, which is fine...I just hate it.

I personally would rather have a Cobb Accessport or AEM EMS style piggyback that allows user-level tuning. :/

mikesul
06-25-13, 10:22 PM

What I meant was that the base run showed unrealistically low numbers. That' s what let the improvement look so good. I still think this tune gives around +30 hp..

YoshiFD3S
06-26-13, 12:32 AM
Again, 50-60+ HP from a tune from stock HP is totally realistic.

Here's my Sonata dyno as reference, as I previously mentioned:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/YoshiFD3S/SonataDyno-PowerAxelTune.jpg

So again, I believe that a 70+HP gain from stock IS possible on a direct-injected 2.0T engine, but until I see a stock VS. tune dyno or the typical dyno video...I'm not "buying it".

HighElevation
07-14-13, 03:33 AM
Wow! The other thread had just way too much drama between people. Can someone explain the dyno graph to me? I'm counting the largest difference between the lines and if I understand this correctly, if I get the KPE tune, I'll gain 22 Eng Power and 45 Eng Torque? From 199 to 221 Eng Power and from about 235 to about 280 Eng Torque? Is that 22 HP then? At the tires? Thats pretty good right? And how would this affect my warranty exactly? How would the dealership or GM know that I have added a tune to my car? And is that the entire warranty?

Hoosier Daddy
07-14-13, 08:49 AM
No, that is not what you should take from the chart. Refer to the dyno disclaimers in the original post. You won't get a fixed HP or torque increase from a tune because air temperature, etc.. have a huge effect. 100+ temps in Phoenix sap a huge amount of power from my ATS and Syclone. Yes, I got 46 extra lb/ft but if they did the exact same pulls in February, the increase could have been 60+ (for example). Secondly different dynos and different types of dynos read drastically differently. But The gains were consistently 20% until the high end where some other factor than temps kicked in. The best theories so far is that's all the turbo, and/or exhaust can do (percentage wise) at high RPMs.

So I think the best we can extrapolate for other conditions is a 20% increase for the meat of the powerband. In other words, if you take the factory 272 rating (at the crank) after this tune, my engine runs like a 32x HP engine would, at least in the RPMs that were seeing 20% increases from the tune.

HighElevation
07-14-13, 12:46 PM
No, that is not what you should take from the chart. Refer to the dyno disclaimers in the original post. You won't get a fixed HP or torque increase from a tune because air temperature, etc.. have a huge effect. 100+ temps in Phoenix sap a huge amount of power from my ATS and Syclone. Yes, I got 46 extra lb/ft but if they did the exact same pulls in February, the increase could have been 60+ (for example). Secondly different dynos and different types of dynos read drastically differently. But The gains were consistently 20% until the high end where some other factor than temps kicked in. The best theories so far is that's all the turbo, and/or exhaust can do (percentage wise) at high RPMs.

So I think the best we can extrapolate for other conditions is a 20% increase for the meat of the powerband. In other words, if you take the factory 272 rating (at the crank) after this tune, my engine runs like a 32x HP engine would, at least in the RPMs that were seeing 20% increases from the tune.

Hi! Thanks for the explanation, do you mean this dyno graph?

http://i42.tinypic.com/14t5ue8.jpg

Thats even better, I was going to say that 22 Eng Power and 45 Eng Torque is okay for me already, my last car when tuned did not feel like it was any faster. It was not a turbo car though.

I am in albuquerque, new mexico, and we too have 100F days, the last few days were a relief from the heat thanks to the rain. So the heat we've got as well. I don't know about more power in february because there might still be snow in places around here in jan/feb.

What is the gas like in arizona? The gas in new mexico is pretty crappy, and I don't know if I can always find premium to fill up on. What would happen with this tune if regular grade was used? Will I have engine damage?

And if I add this tune to my car, will different ethanol in the gas cause engine damage as well?

I've emailed KPE and still don't have anything back from them, do you have a phone number that I can reach KPE at? Or maybe a different email address of someone in sales?

mikesul
07-14-13, 03:37 PM
With lower rated gas most likely timing will be pulled as knock is sensed. End result less hp.

SC2150
07-14-13, 04:17 PM

Performance results:

ATS 2.0 Turbo - 72-81 RWHP (climate and altitude dependent)

22 HP IS EXACTLY what the dyno graph says.

Its like 100+ Fahrenheit ambient temp easily in florida, and plenty of other places. Sure it might pick up another HP or two if its not 100+, but for a LOT of people, 22 HP is it.

"Extrapolate"? Please do not "extrapolate" 50 HP from what the graph reads, which is 22 HP gained.

What this graph should be explained as is THIS:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3913/lwot.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/lwot.jpg/)

At the "meat of the powerband" or where you're most likely going to be at for daily or routine driving, as in do you regularly spin your motor to redline? NO. Most people are going to be at around the idle to 2500 RPM range for fuel economy and just driving around.

Before 2400 RPM, at FULL THROTTLE you gain 20 ft/lbs of torque, and at part throttle it might not even be noticeable.

So to summarize the findings, this tune gains 22 HP. Which is okay for some people. You can "extrapolate" all you want, but the truth IS the truth.

Thanks for listening.

Hoosier Daddy
07-14-13, 05:34 PM
Hi! Thanks for the explanation, do you mean this dyno graph?

Thats even better, I was going to say that 22 Eng Power and 45 Eng Torque is okay for me already, my last car when tuned did not feel like it was any faster. It was not a turbo car though.

I am in albuquerque, new mexico, and we too have 100F days, the last few days were a relief from the heat thanks to the rain. So the heat we've got as well. I don't know about more power in february because there might still be snow in places around here in jan/feb.

What is the gas like in arizona? The gas in new mexico is pretty crappy, and I don't know if I can always find premium to fill up on. What would happen with this tune if regular grade was used? Will I have engine damage?

And if I add this tune to my car, will different ethanol in the gas cause engine damage as well?

I've emailed KPE and still don't have anything back from them, do you have a phone number that I can reach KPE at? Or maybe a different email address of someone in sales?
I only buy tier 1 gas so I don't know how other gas around here is. 91 Octane is the highest you see at the pump. By law, gas here for road cars has alcohol in it. I think that's normally for smog control so that might not be a factor where you live. So no pure gas here although I understand they might have straight gas at marinas and I've seen race gas at one station for $10/gal.

I was told this tune is for 91 octane only. I asked what happens if you end up with lower octane and they said if bad enough it will ping and if you ignore it and push hard you can have detonation. They specifically said that the knock sensors are not disabled or ignored so it sounds like the knock sensors can't pull enough timing to prevent detonation within this tune with low octane but also that you would have to conciously decide to ignore the pinging prior to it.

KPE would have to tell you the impact of more or less ethanol would have on their tune. Ethanol has a higher octane than the gas it's mixed with but of course they make the effective octane match what ever the fuel is sold as. But Ethanol also absorbs more heat as it vaporizes than gasoline does so the more ethanol, the cooler the engine will run. The reason tuners like BNR publish results using E85 tunes when almost no customers will use it is for the higher octane (which allows more timing and more boost) and more cooling which makes their results look better than they would get with gas.

I'll PM you Andy's phone number. But they aren't open on weekends.

----------

Sorry High, for some reason there is no option to PM you. I'm reluctant to post person specific phone numbers where bots can scrape them. When I was there last Wednesday, the office doors were still locked at 10 AM so maybe try calling the numbers on the web site after 10 AM MST (AZ doesn't do DST) tomorrow.

KPE
07-18-13, 06:30 PM
Sorry we haven't responded to this thread earlier, but we have been busy dealing with plenty of satisfied customers! The PEAK hp and tq gain we saw on Hoosier Daddy's car was 33whp and 47lb-ft.

------

In terms of the "meat of the powerband" comments, the largest gains are seen from about 3000rpm to 4600rpm. We would definitely consider this the "meat of the powerband" because this is where you are going to be when accelerating from a stop or merging into traffic on the freeway. Also people that are going to be purchasing our PowerTune are not exactly concerned with driving at or around idle to watch their fuel consumption. We have an EcoTune for those that are looking strictly MPG gains.

------

In regards to our initial whp and tq claims, those were achieved on a European model engine and when applied to the Cadillac ATS, we were not able to achieve those number and still keep the engine in a safe operating parameters

------

If anyone ever has any questions or comments please feel free to email either myself, Ben, or my manger, Andy, and we will be glad to answer them for you. My email is ben@kpe-products.com and Andy's email is andy@kpe-products.com .

KPE
07-19-13, 01:55 PM
I'd love to chat with you HighElevation. Tried sending you a PM but I guess you can't receive them yet. Shoot me an email at ben@kpe-products.com and I'll answer any question you have!

bluhaven
07-19-13, 02:07 PM
What was the AFR on this tune/pass?

Kevin

KPE
07-29-13, 06:51 PM
I will try and get the owner to open up this saved dyno file and get me the AFR info for you guys!

KPE
08-27-13, 05:43 PM
Hey guys, we found some ways to squeeze a few more WHPs out of the 2.0T tune. Here is the new dyno graph!

KPE
08-27-13, 05:52 PM
And here is a dyno graph for the ATS 3.6L

KPE
08-27-13, 05:53 PM
And if anyone will tell me why I cannot post them as pictures instead of attachments that would be great! I would like to make them bigger so you guys can really see them!

-Ben

mikesul
08-27-13, 10:18 PM
Well it's obvious that the 2.0T is the way to go vs. the 3.6DI. The 3.6 will never (without turbos) get to the potential level that the smaller engine can produce. Sure glad I opted for the 2.0T. :)

Atsco
08-28-13, 12:28 AM
Yeah, can't really see the results. Gets too blurry when trying to enlarge. Can you post what the dyno shows?

KPE
08-28-13, 02:23 PM
Atsco - I would love to post up a larger image but for some reason why I try to link a picture it wont let me upload one and hence the reason I had to add it as an attachment. Any ideas for me?! I initially thought it was because it was a bmp file so I converted it to a jpeg but alas, still a no go!

-Ben

bluhaven
08-28-13, 03:13 PM
Upload it to photobucket, then post it on here.

KPE
08-28-13, 05:52 PM
Ok that works! I will give that a go.

-Ben