: 2005 Cadilla CTS-V with 90k DEALER IS ASKING 15k

mzg
01-27-13, 03:44 PM
First of all I would like to say that I am new to the Cadillac WORLD! I want to become a proud owner of a Cadillac CTS-V I would like to know all the small things that all true CTSv lovers know, I have never owned american made cars before usually its been Nissan, Lexus, Toyota. It's time for me to change all that and feel the real American power :) with that being said I am looking at a 2005 Cts-v with 90k that is located in Texas, I have read on some forums that these years have some issues such as noise when turning and sunroof issues? not exactly sure what they were talking about, but one post said as long as you stay away from sunroof models v's then you will be good, now my question is what do I check on that car, I mean as far as a lexus goes I can tell you all the small things to look for when buying one and what makes what noise, I would like for someone to tell me what to look for in detail when I go to purchase that V. Do I listen and buy one without the sunroof or with? Thanks guys and again looking forward to becoming a Cts-v Owner. :)

rand49er
01-27-13, 03:57 PM
Listen and look for all the normal stuff that you'd listen and look for for any car, domestic or otherwise. The few things that are particular to an '05 CTS-V would be differential whine (most noticeable at 45 MPH in 6th gear while accelerating slightly), bad motor mounts (a shuddering at motor shutdown), and wear on the NAV buttons. Nearly everything else is stuff you'd look for on any used vehicle.

BTW, at 90k miles, these cars have at least 50% life left in them as long as they've been maintained reasonably well, again, just like any car.

Maybe a fellow Texan here will hook up with you and help you out. Good luck!

carlson_mn
01-27-13, 04:10 PM
almost every V has a sunroof. I've only heard of one or two people complain about them.

mzg
01-27-13, 04:28 PM
Ah okay, well good to know I will pay extra attention to the noise coming from the diff and motor mounts, is the diff a difficult fix or expensive if the noise does come from it?

carlson_mn
01-27-13, 04:35 PM
search the forum gets asked weekly

rand49er
01-27-13, 04:49 PM
Ah okay, well good to know I will pay extra attention to the noise coming from the diff and motor mounts, is the diff a difficult fix or expensive if the noise does come from it?Good chance the diff has been upgraded. You need to look at the car's history if you can and check. If it whines a little bit, that's pretty much normal ... mine does, but it's fine. New diff installed will run about $2k, just FYI. Could be a negotiating point to get price down a bit. If motor mounts are bad, have the dealer fix 'em. I have no problem with mine but plenty of others have had issues.

search the forum gets asked weeklyCarlson is right. Get a cup of coffee and do a search for plenty of further reading.

mzg
01-27-13, 04:52 PM
okay, thanks I will start the search. Thanks for the help. I will most definitely use the diff as a negotiation point to get the price down. :)

mstrjon32
01-27-13, 05:08 PM
My sunroof is "broken," in that it won't shut completely unless I hold down the track as it closes. I could fix it, but it's not really a big deal to just hold it down. It broke because I was going 140 and the air caught sunroof and pulled the tracks out of alignment. So, if you don't drive 140 with the roof open, you'll be fine.

mzg
01-27-13, 05:19 PM
lol, well I'm sure I will be taking it over the top and trying to max it out sooner or later but I will make sure my roof is closed when I do that :)

EnV
01-27-13, 05:31 PM
My sunroof is "broken," in that it won't shut completely unless I hold down the track as it closes. I could fix it, but it's not really a big deal to just hold it down. It broke because I was going 140 and the air caught sunroof and pulled the tracks out of alignment. So, if you don't drive 140 with the roof open, you'll be fine.

Hold down what track? Lol my sunroof doesn't close sometimes unless I turn the dial all the way to prop the sunroof up and then close it.

Mn800r
01-27-13, 06:28 PM
With a look you might be able to see if you have the updated rear, here's a snap shot I saved a few months ago browsing this forum. Thanks ctsv 510

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg181/ddfunhouse/CTS-V/b81d2ab7f10a079c7e51d03b5805a5a4.jpg

----------

This is a shot of mine last July, have paper on it from dlr change out under warranty but no part # on the RO. Looks like the updated diff.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg181/ddfunhouse/CTS-V/52a64191.jpg

mberisha
01-27-13, 07:16 PM

Hahaha....I remember that....

jbrumsey
01-27-13, 08:27 PM
What's different about the new diff? I can't spot any change.

Mn800r
01-27-13, 08:41 PM
Tuff isn't it!... I'm a newbie but from what I can see is the right side of housing...old style(lower in pic) is rounded.

2007ThunderV
01-27-13, 08:41 PM
The grilles are different on the diff

mstrjon32
01-28-13, 01:15 AM
Hold down what track? Lol my sunroof doesn't close sometimes unless I turn the dial all the way to prop the sunroof up and then close it.

It's difficult to describe, but I need to slide some piece of plastic inside one of the tracks the roof slides in backwards, and then start closing the roof, and then hold down that air deflector thing at the front until the roof is about 2" from closed. Maybe I will take a better look at it this spring and see if I can sort things out...

Pillow
01-28-13, 10:56 AM
I just purchased a '05 CTS-V on Saturday for 15K with similar 9XK miles, so how timely!

Since you are at a dealer, have them pull the RPO codes, Service history from the dealer and GM global, also a Carfax is mandatory. You can learn A LOT from these documents!!!

Normally I would have gone with a lower mileage car, but the car had everything I wanted and had been maintained very well. New motor mounts, upgraded (under warranty) rear diff, Corsa cat-back exhaust, and NO sunroof. Brand new tires and brakes for sale. Florida car, clean underneath. Plus in Red Line color :)

the proof is in the pudding though! It drove very smooth slowly and at road speed. The clutch engagement was nice and no perceivable slippage.

On the bad, the shifter sucks! This is just part of the stock design from what I have read (can be upgraded but who knows how much better it will get). Also the dual mass flywheel creates a shudder at shut down (some call it dieseling), but eventually I plan to yank it for the C7 setup. Again these are CTS-V items everyone seems to deal with.

... I drove a couple other CTS-Vs FS in the area and they were clearly beat on! They drove terribly, vibrations all over the place. One smelled like a chimney which does not work for me either - smoker.

As long as you get a clean example that is not ragged on you should be fine.

rand49er
01-28-13, 12:35 PM
... Also the dual mass flywheel creates a shudder at shut down (some call it dieseling) ...Better check those "new motor mounts."

FoD
01-28-13, 12:51 PM
Better check those "new motor mounts."

Agreed. The flywheel isn't what causes the "dieseling."

Pillow
01-28-13, 01:00 PM
LOL oh crap! I'll take a closer look then. Probably a good excuse for upgraded mounts... Granted I wanted to wait a while until warm weather showed up :)

Pillow
01-31-13, 10:42 AM
I just wanted to add an update.

For some reason the "dieseling" has stopped and also the transmission is getting easier to shift... I suspect the V had been sitting unused for too long. I think about 2 months.

I'm not sure that helps the OP at all, but thought I would follow up.

crypto_coyle79
02-05-13, 05:00 PM
I had one of these I bought new, I maintained it at a very high level and got my service rep to replace most of the big stuff. I sold it to a coworker who liked the idea of a 45k car on the cheap but quickly got overwhelmed by the maintenance costs. Even beside the normal stuff like expensive frequent tires and what not the car became an absolute money pit for him as stuff started to go at just about 90k miles which is one of the reasons they are so cheap on the secondary market. Beware if you are thinking this is going to be like one of your old Japanese cars as a "Drive and forget" affair. These take constant love, attention and investment to get the most out of them.