: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orlando

Mmaturo
01-27-13, 10:43 AM
Area recommendations. I just impulse bought a very pretty 60 Eldorado convertible but it immediately needs help I think. Need a run through of electrical I think and a transmission seal. Anybody know of a place that works on these things in the Orlando area.

Bro-Ham
01-27-13, 06:52 PM
Welcome! Congratulations on the 60 Eldo, please post some pictures! Good luck with getting it into ship shape.

Mmaturo
01-27-13, 08:16 PM
Thanks! Pictures soon as I'm traveling and away from my computer. No idea how anything works but will be interesting to learn. First time I have bought a car without researching the heck out of it so unfortunately see $$ in my future.

Stupid question number one. I tried to put gas in it and tank only had maybe 8 gallons in it (owner said) and I put 4.5 in and it backed up the pipe and overflowed on me. It cannot possibly be full. Is there a trick to getting gas into an old pipe/tank in terms of the flow? How big is the tank? Not sure my gas gauge works either so who knows.

cadillac kevin
01-27-13, 08:59 PM
Thanks! Pictures soon as I'm traveling and away from my computer. No idea how anything works but will be interesting to learn. First time I have bought a car without researching the heck out of it so unfortunately see $$ in my future.

Stupid question number one. I tried to put gas in it and tank only had maybe 8 gallons in it (owner said) and I put 4.5 in and it backed up the pipe and overflowed on me. It cannot possibly be full. Is there a trick to getting gas into an old pipe/tank in terms of the flow? How big is the tank? Not sure my gas gauge works either so who knows.

I'd say bad gas gauge. No other reason I can think of where the tank would only hold 12 gallons

Mmaturo
01-27-13, 09:26 PM
I'd say bad gas gauge. No other reason I can think of where the tank would only hold 12 gallons

I am 100 percent sure the gauges are probably done. Do you think anything or possibilty about the speed of the gas going in would cause a back up or anything if it was not really full? I wouldnt think so in my 26 years of owning cars but oldest was a 75 buick not a 60 caddy. On this thing there seems to be no way to get the nozzle tight in under the trunk edge so the nozzle is not all the way in the tube like on normal modern cars so it seems the normal back pressure when a normal tank is full does not cut off the flow here as easily.

Good news is that the engine runs well tranny seems good and body, chrome, and top are good. The rest... Not so much. It's a driver but would be nice to know engine temp and amount of gas.

Bro-Ham
01-27-13, 09:58 PM
Did you try easing the gas in slowly? Just guessing, I have never owned a car that old before. Good luck and have fun with it! Can't wait to hear more of your experiences with what must be an incredible car!

Mmaturo
01-28-13, 12:04 AM
Yeah I did but overflowed again immediately. So if nothing like a big air bubble would stop flow I guess maybe it really is full but just seems odd. Gauge did go up so not sure what's up. But gas spewing over... Yikes. No idea of the gas mileage on this thing but at least I know some is in it for my likely shorter drives till I find someone to go over it.

creeker
01-28-13, 12:47 AM
I googled fuel capaciy of 60 cad. eldo. and it shows 24.95 gal. capacity.

Mmaturo
01-28-13, 01:41 AM
I googled fuel capaciy of 60 cad. eldo. and it shows 24.95 gal. capacity.

Thanks, can't wait to get home next week and start the download of info.

CADforce69
01-28-13, 10:16 AM
Welcome to this forum, Mmaturo, congrats for the purchase of such an exclusive cadillac. Donīt worry; soon you will have your carīs problems solved and you will have one of the greatest cars ever built.

My caddy and my '73 dodge use to back up the pipe when there are less than 1 gallon in the tank. What I do to solve the problem is turning the nozzle until it stops happening. When tank is full sometimes it overflows.

mileage for this model was:
_________extra-urban / city / highway / average combined:
mpg (imp.): 11-14...... / 6-8.. / 10-12.. / 10

So, if I was sure tank is full, I would fill the tank every 200-225 miles. During this first contact with your caddy, you may take a can of gas in the trunk to test confidently how is the tank and the fuel sender though itīs better avoiding to stretch gas in the tank as dirt deposited through years may get into the circuit so your carb might suffer the consequences.

Waiting for those pics :bouncy:

Mmaturo
01-28-13, 11:49 AM
Welcome to this forum, Mmaturo, congrats for the purchase of such an exclusive cadillac. Donīt worry; soon you will have your carīs problems solved and you will have one of the greatest cars ever built.

My caddy and my '73 dodge use to back up the pipe when there are less than 1 gallon in the tank. What I do to solve the problem is turning the nozzle until it stops happening. When tank is full sometimes it overflows.

mileage for this model was:
_________extra-urban / city / highway / average combined:
mpg (imp.): 11-14...... / 6-8.. / 10-12.. / 10

So, if I was sure tank is full, I would fill the tank every 200-225 miles. During this first contact with your caddy, you may take a can of gas in the trunk to test confidently how is the tank and the fuel sender though itīs better avoiding to stretch gas in the tank as dirt deposited through years may get into the circuit so your carb might suffer the consequences.

Waiting for those pics :bouncy:

Thank you! Very helpful. This will be an adventure. Good news is the 210/225 miles per tank is easy to remember as its as far as my other cars go (i have two other high hp Audis with small tanks and 13mpg if im lucky around town. I will try to get a few pics downloaded tonight.

FoxRodder
01-28-13, 05:50 PM
Looks like another Orlando sucker, errr I mean car enthusiast with a classic caddy impulse purchase. I just got my 68 Coupe Deville few weeks back from a Buddy. I'm getting to learn old stuff too. Its similar stuff to yours. It runs and drives but needs some this and that. Mostly needs body work.

Mmaturo
01-29-13, 02:00 AM
Looks like another Orlando sucker, errr I mean car enthusiast with a classic caddy impulse purchase. I just got my 68 Coupe Deville few weeks back from a Buddy. I'm getting to learn old stuff too. Its similar stuff to yours. It runs and drives but needs some this and that. Mostly needs body work.

Lol hopefully we both find a place. Driving around randomly today I think I may have found a guy for mechanical issues near downtown. Hole in the wall shop I passed going to an appointment and u turned in my rental car (not living in Orlando permanently yet) when I saw a 57 t bird and a 65 mustang in the place. My comments on what was wrong with my car he nodded and smiled and said common. Sold there alone but said he had a regular 62 caddy owner. In my case body and paint excellent. Anything requiring power...screwed. I did a Mechum purchase. Restored was a liberal term on my car.

FoxRodder
01-30-13, 04:49 PM
I know of a few places around town for certain things so if you end up needing any specific kind of service I might know a place. I try to do as much of my own work as I can so I don't have a regular mechanic I would reccomend. I do reccomend you check out the local car cruise-ins. The most well known is friday and saturday evenings at old town in kissimmee. I am a regular with my 87 Mustang on fridays with some friends with various cars. There are also several saturday shows that are once a month. Each saturday there is one in a different down town including, winter garden, sanford, and lake mary. There are other ones as well. Check out midfloridacruisers in your search engine. They list most of the central florida car shows and cruise ins.