: Thinking of buying an 06

Livyx
01-27-13, 03:19 AM
Hello everyone. I've been looking at gen 1 CTS-Vs and keeping an eye out for the occasional STS-V I might find.
Since these cars aren't common I have been doing nationwide searches, which is scary... The idea of buying a car sight-unseen doesn't sit well with me.
Anyway, I found an STS-V in Miami that looks good from the pictures but has 76k miles. This might be a stupid question, but is there a service where you can hire someone to check out a car? Where a person goes and looks it over for you and tells you if it is a good car, maybe lets you know any concern areas?
They are asking a really good price for the car and I need to know if it is too good to be true.
Thanks!

carter's_sts
01-27-13, 04:39 AM
I just found that one on Cars.com. That is a pretty amazing price.

I bought mine site unseen and had it shipped. It was scary. I did it because of a few reasons. Mainly the car was still under a CPO at the time. Also the dealer has a very good reputation and they had high res photos. And I was on the phone with the salesman while he did a walk around and got inside. He was really honest about some minor cosmetic things (really minor - the car was in fantastic shape). And it had really low miles.

Still I was nervous about it, and it has had to have some things done to it, but I didn't have to pay because of the CPO.

I would think you could get someone to check it out for you for a fee. Maybe a broker who also works with a mechanic.

Good luck.

PS The STS is way better than the CTS IMHO.

STS LC3
01-27-13, 10:00 AM
There are inspection services that can evaluate the car for you. Just Google “car inspection service Miami Florida”. I’d take a look at it for you but I’m across the State (west coast) and crazy busy right now. Like Carter, I bought mine sight unseen but I have a friend down here who has been selling cars all his life and fortunately his son worked at a dealership up north, only about 40 miles away from the selling dealer and he checked it out. My car is a CPO and had a good maintenance history and no accidents on CarFax so I wasn’t too concerned about mechanical issues. Being a picky guy I assumed putting $1,000 into body work when I was negotiating with the dealer. Shipping from up north was $675. When I got it, I had to have the rockers (both sides) and front fascia repaired and it was missing the fascia deflector. $1,200 and I was done and the rest of the car is near perfect (minor stone chips, black is a bitch, shows everything). The car you’re looking at looks like a great deal, is a lifelong Florida car and good mileage for its age. I would have it inspected. If it’s right for you, I wouldn’t hesitate. It probably will be gone quick.

Livyx
01-27-13, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I will need to move quick on it. Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can find anyone who will check it out for me.

----------

Also, do you guys think I should worry much about the mileage being over 75k? I hear some people saying on this site that you can start getting into issues with the Northstar engines.

carter's_sts
01-27-13, 12:50 PM
Most people on here claim that the 4.4 is pretty bullet proof. Mine had an oil leak with only 28K miles, which was kind of disappointing.

I've read on here that many have had loose intake manifold bolts, but that's a minor repair. Not too many really major things that people talk about.

But, with that many miles, it's even more important to have it checked out.