: code P1870 and 1700

inna-catera
01-26-13, 11:53 PM
Hey guys, I need some help from all you smart caddi owners =]. So I have these 2 codes coming up and the check engine light is on. Sometimes when I drive, the sport mode (s) light starts flashing and the car BARELY accelerates. I pull over, turn off the car, turn it back on, and its fine. This has been going on for about a year now and it used to happen bout once a month but recently it happened 4 times in one day! :( I talked to a worker at autozone who checked the codes for me and he said that I need to replace my transmission. But I really don't think that I need to since this is not a "constant" problem but comes up once in a while.
Have any of you guys had this problem and successfully fixed it?

BTW... I recently had my TC and ABS light on and after getting my EBTCM rebuilt and reinstalled the lights went away... IDK if this has anything to do with it. I recently changed my motor oil...
And one more question - Can someone tell me where is the thing to check my transmission oil? My dad and I have looked for it and just cant find it... I can't afford to take my car to the dealership so am fixing everything myself. The car has 73K on it.

Here are the codes, and explanations I got from http://engine-codes.com
P1870 Description

Transmission is in 4th gear with Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) engaged and the Engine Control Moduel (ECM) has detected excessive slippage when comparing the input shaft speed to the output shaft speed

P1700 CADILLAC - Transmission MIL Request

JohnJJO
01-27-13, 11:02 AM
To cheak your transmission oil level, u need to raise vihicle on th both side! To level whole car. But before that u need to warm transmission to normal workings temperature. u can not just start the engine and lit it seat, u need to drive for at lease 15 miles. Then raise, on passanger side on main transmission oil pan, on the side of it u will find drain/check plug, remove it while engine is running!!!!!!!! yes Running. Before all that u need to get u one quarter of Dextron 3 transmission fluid , Not dextron 6 !!!!!!!! And hand fluid pump, cuz u may need to add some fluids , u never know ...... So its better to prepare

inna-catera
01-28-13, 01:36 AM
I also need to change 2 of my O2 sensors but I can't figure out which one is which... I've spent at least an hour googling it and have not found any answers...
Bank 2 Sensor 2
Bank 1 Sensor 2

Where are these two sensors located?

MoistCabbage
01-28-13, 11:53 AM
Before all that u need to get u one quarter of Dextron 3 transmission fluid , Not dextron 6 !!!!!!!! Dexron III is obsolete. Dexron Vi is superior, and completely compatible with III, it's it's replacement.

That said, unless the fluid level is low, changing the fluid isn't going to fix the problem.

gvjv3
01-28-13, 11:59 AM
Senors 1 is before the Cat. and just after the engine and senors 2 is after the cat.(or post) furthest away from the engine, since both are senors 2, then both very rear senors are out, also there is no way to check the level on transmission, it a seal tranny, you have to rise the car up, remove the fill plug , and add fluid if needed, a more easier way to change your tran. fluid is to buy a gasket at any parts store, drop the tran pan and fill it back up,

JohnJJO
01-28-13, 12:29 PM
Didn't my massage was about how to check the fluid level ????.... Not about how to replace the fluid... Ha???..... That why I said "get u one quarter of dextron 3" just in case it will be low that he can add little bit yo....

gvjv3
01-28-13, 01:16 PM
all am saying is, if you going to all the trouble of raising the car, making sure it's level and pulling the plug out, you might as well buy a gasket (under$5) and just drop the pan, clean it and put it back on, and fill it up till it starts coming out and put the plug back on, that's all:helpless:

JohnJJO
01-28-13, 04:54 PM
No cents to do it with out changing oil filter and draining small pan that hold almost 1 quart.... And if u remove filter u will get enother half out..... So do maths $50 for oil u need to get 6 quarts of dextron 6 this time not dextron 3 cuz u going to change fluid not add yo. Plus filter gasket enother $20. If u have extra money. Do it !

inna-catera
01-28-13, 05:12 PM
Dexron III is obsolete. Dexron Vi is superior, and completely compatible with III, it's it's replacement.

That said, unless the fluid level is low, changing the fluid isn't going to fix the problem.

So are you saying that it would be better if I used the VI instead of the III??

----------

No cents to do it with out changing oil filter and draining small pan that hold almost 1 quart.... And if u remove filter u will get enother half out..... So do maths $50 for oil u need to get 6 quarts of dextron 6 this time not dextron 3 cuz u going to change fluid not add yo. Plus filter gasket enother $20. If u have extra money. Do it !

----------

Where would you recommend buying the filter?
I use these places for almost everything: rockauto.com and autopartswarehouse.com
can you recommend anything that might be better?

...I don't really have extra money... I'm a full time student... but If it will save my car then I will most definately do it. Do you think this will help with the "transmission slipping in 4th gear?"

----------

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Cadillac/Catera/Febi/Automatic_Transmission_Filter/2000/Base/6_Cyl_3-dot-0L/W0133-1631910.html

is this the filter that I would need to change?

----------

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rockauto.co m%2Finfo%2FATP%2FJX-150.jpg&imagekey=64527-0&width=450

or something more like this?

retho78
01-28-13, 09:43 PM
autozone has the trans filter and gasket.

MoistCabbage
01-29-13, 01:20 AM
So are you saying that it would be better if I used the VI instead of the III??If you were doing a fluid change, yes, absolutely. Also, more and more places just aren't selling III anymore. If you just need to add some, use either, but III is a bit cheaper.

But before you start thinking about which fluid to use...

...I don't really have extra money... I'm a full time student... but If it will save my car then I will most definately do it. Do you think this will help with the "transmission slipping in 4th gear?"As I posted before, a fluid chance will do exactly nothing for a slipping transmission. Neither will a new filter. With no other codes, and the fluid at the proper level, a slipping transmission means rebuild or replacement time.