: 3 Weeks Later...

originalgarage
01-26-13, 09:30 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150646_460605603987836_1393109974_n.jpg

Picked up my '08 V 3 weeks ago. This afternoon someone pulled out in front of me. Luckily for him I was able to brake hard/veer off and avoid seriously injuring him. Unluckily for me, he was not very appreciative and drove off as I pulled into a gas station to exchange info.

I'm most likely going to fix it out of pocket. I am thinking of switching to the early non-vented fenders, or possibly a D3 aero kit depending on what they say. I'll most likely take advantage of the down time and go ahead and switch the wheels out for flat black Team Dynamics/Bridgestone run flates, yellow powdercoated Brembos w/ stainless lines for a "black diamond" theme, and new rotors/pads. I also plan on installing some D3 drop springs.

The OEM parts for this car are suprisingly affordable, and from what I can tell the damage is cosmetic. If anyone has any new/excellent condition parts they want to get rid of LMK.

Martyn
01-26-13, 10:07 PM
"new parts are affordable" is not even close.

I rear ended someone at 3mph, literally bumper tapped a SUV, and did 8k in damage to the car. I also manged to damage a hose that GM had ZERO stock of, and had to open up a SPAC case to go back to the manufacture to make me one. Been a headache and I work at the bodyshop thats doing all the work.

That bumper alone is what most deductibles are. It sucks to take the hit, but Ive never filed an insurance claim so Im hoping it doesnt screw things up to much in the long run. I took advantage of the car being down and ordered a bunch of go fast goodies.

TimmyC
01-26-13, 11:32 PM
Bummer. I think the fender is just an STS fender with that vent thing stuck on it. Fenders are pretty cheap but the bumper cover is more expensive and hard to find. Headlights are around $200 used on ebay.

originalgarage
01-27-13, 02:21 PM
"new parts are affordable" is not even close.

I rear ended someone at 3mph, literally bumper tapped a SUV, and did 8k in damage to the car. I also manged to damage a hose that GM had ZERO stock of, and had to open up a SPAC case to go back to the manufacture to make me one. Been a headache and I work at the bodyshop thats doing all the work.

i guess affordable is subjective. most cars i work on are lexus/infiniti, and new wholesale oem parts for even the 20+ year old ones are considerably higher than retail on the v. i was pleasantly surprised. i haven't got behind the damage yet, so hopefully i don't run into a situation like you did.

I think the fender is just an STS fender with that vent thing stuck on it. Fenders are pretty cheap but the bumper cover is more expensive and hard to find. Headlights are around $200 used on ebay.

the 08+ fenders actually have a cutout for the vent. the bumper covers sells new oem online for ~$600, which is what i have budgeted for, but i'm gonna look around and see what i can find. i looked at the lights on ebay, and i may go that route, but i'd really like something new/like new. i can fix broken tabs, etc. if i have to, but i'd rather not.

torched10
01-27-13, 04:31 PM
just had to replace my rear bumper---$1000 for the part, then paint et al--all in 1500 bucks

TimmyC
01-27-13, 07:47 PM
i guess affordable is subjective. most cars i work on are lexus/infiniti, and new wholesale oem parts for even the 20+ year old ones are considerably higher than retail on the v. i was pleasantly surprised. i haven't got behind the damage yet, so hopefully i don't run into a situation like you did.

the 08+ fenders actually have a cutout for the vent. the bumper covers sells new oem online for ~$600, which is what i have budgeted for, but i'm gonna look around and see what i can find. i looked at the lights on ebay, and i may go that route, but i'd really like something new/like new. i can fix broken tabs, etc. if i have to, but i'd rather not.

I saw that after I posted, oops.

beyerch
01-28-13, 02:26 AM
Sorry to see your car get banged up and I feel your pain for literally just buying it ... :(

On a separate note, if you do buy new rims, I'm looking for a spare set of stockers. :) I'm also looking for a stock cat back if you replace your exhaust. :)

Charles

originalgarage
01-28-13, 12:23 PM
charles,

i will be purchasing new wheels, however my stocks have a crumby refinish on them. if you need them for something where cosmetics aren't crucial they may work for you. i will eventually do the exhaust as well, but will be going with an axleback.

beyerch
01-28-13, 01:38 PM
I need a set of rims for snow tires, so they don't need to be perfect. Preferably not horrible, but don't need to win any car show awards. When you get around to it to getting new rims, drop me a line.

Thanks!

Martyn
01-28-13, 11:04 PM
Ive got a set a wheels laying around as well

scott9001
02-08-13, 03:42 PM
thats why you never avoid the crash should of just smoked the guy!

1madstsv
02-09-13, 08:35 AM
If any one has A stock rear wheel they want to get rid of let me know. I have one now really just need one more but for the right price would take 2 rears. I need them for drag tires so finish is not a consern as long as they are not bent. Thanks Ryan

originalgarage
03-04-13, 01:39 PM
a month later and still no v. :mad:

we took a few days to decide what we were going to do, then the insurance company took almost 2 weeks to go out and look at the car. the shop knocked out the work quick (they did get the wrong bumper the first time) but i had ordered a used light off ebay which arrived damaged. i bought another new one but it is holding up the process.

i decided to stick with the v front end. i bought a new set of oem wheels and hankook ventus v12 evos all around. after the paint is done i am going to it to drop it off for pdr to have dent removed. then to detail to have the new paint wet sanded/buffed and have the old paint shined up as well. last thing to do will be new pads/rotors all around and i'll be back on the road mid-next week hopefully.

bigburban
03-04-13, 11:17 PM
a month later and still no v. :mad:

we took a few days to decide what we were going to do, then the insurance company took almost 2 weeks to go out and look at the car. the shop knocked out the work quick (they did get the wrong bumper the first time) but i had ordered a used light off ebay which arrived damaged. i bought another new one but it is holding up the process.

i decided to stick with the v front end. i bought a new set of oem wheels and hankook ventus v12 evos all around. after the paint is done i am going to it to drop it off for pdr to have dent removed. then to detail to have the new paint wet sanded/buffed and have the old paint shined up as well. last thing to do will be new pads/rotors all around and i'll be back on the road mid-next week hopefully.

I know when I had just got my V and then hit a deer it really sucked not getting to drive it. The body shop had it for a month. 2 weeks of that was for paint work as they were not happy with their work and the first bumper that they got had to be replaced. The first bumper was from a wreck that the insurance company found. Had damage and just wouldn't work. Ended up with a new oem bumper. When all was said and done i was happy with the job and to get the car back.