: 2007 Northstar STS-4 weird noise???

STS-4000
01-26-13, 01:27 PM
hey guys i'm hearing some weird clicking & clacking noise underneath the my car whenever i drive it, and it's like the faster i drive the faster the noise becomes. just the other day i was driving and i put the car in neutral while moving at 30mph and the noise went away but came back once i put it back into drive. what do you guys think it could be? a friend of mine thinks it could be a driveshaft or transfer case issue. btw the car has 76000 miles on it.

RippyPartsDept
01-26-13, 01:42 PM
have you checked the oil level?
dipstick

STS-4000
01-26-13, 02:05 PM
the only diptstick i can find under the hood is the engine oil dipstick and i'm fine on engine oil, i can't seem to find the transmission dipstick anywhere though.

curtc
01-26-13, 02:27 PM
the only diptstick i can find under the hood is the engine oil dipstick and i'm fine on engine oil, i can't seem to find the transmission dipstick anywhere though.

That's because there isn't a transmission dipstick...

STS-4000
01-26-13, 03:13 PM
hmmm that's odd, well how are we suppose to check our tranny fluid? and i suppose no one knows what might that noise be coming from underneath my baby :-(

Ludacrisvp
01-26-13, 04:25 PM
Dealer. That's how. Even the V doesn't have one. My money is leaning towards transfer case related.

orange57
01-26-13, 04:37 PM
Checking the trans fluid is a fairly involved process on or cars. You basically need to be under the car, and with it running, and remove a plug on the side of the trans. Which is conveniently blocked by the exhaust pipe. And the level should be right below the fill hole.

What about the transfer case though? Does this feed off the same fluid as the trans?

dkozloski
01-27-13, 07:22 PM
Transfer case is made by Borg-Warner and has its own oil sump. There have been several reports of wear in the Morse chain.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-29-13, 11:56 AM
STS-4000, I'm sorry that you're experiencing these noise concerns! As a Customer Service representative, I unfortunately cannot provide much in the way of DIY advice; however, I do hope you've been finding the community replies helpful so far. If you would like any assistance contacting your dealer for you (scheduling an appointment, etc.), please let me know. I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

STS-4000
02-01-13, 04:58 PM
Took my car to certified transmission and it turns out that the u-joints on the drive shaft are worn out.

dkozloski
02-01-13, 05:28 PM
Change the trans and differential mounts. When these sag it tears up the flexible couplings on the drive shaft.

RippyPartsDept
02-01-13, 05:39 PM
oh that's good ... i've been talking to a lot of people about the infamous drive shaft guibos/couplers lately and that makes a lot of sense