: Toshiba Satellite Problems!

Ralph
12-30-04, 12:38 AM
My parents got a new labtop for the first time ever. They've never had the net or any computer before. To make this short, DO NOT get the Satellite with the Celeron processor! The first two they got were junk! After I spent 2.5 hours downloading upgrades, security settings, installing programs and general set-up, I noticed the first one had keys that didn't match what you typed!!! If you tried to type a question mark, it showed a capital "E" with a slash over it. No, it was NOT the language setup as it was "english Canada" and I even tried putting it to U.S. "dvork" or whatever.

The second Toshiba Satellite celeron developed a system freeze while downloading Microsoft updates. Needless to say, back it went too! Ralph was frustrated, especially after spending 45 minutes with a lady from India I could barely understand to help me get the wireless "Netgear" router active! Those help-line volumes on their side MUST be turned up somehow! Very stressful for the caller.

Finally, they got a good one yesterday because they paid a bit more for one with a Pentium 4 processor. It works like a dream. Seamless performance.

I've heard bad things in the past about Celeron processors but I won't knock them until I know if other people have had bad luck with them as well. I guess if you get a good one, they're good for life, if not you find out about it right away. There could have even been a bad batch of them? Who knows.

My advice, pay a little more and get a labtop with the Pentium!! :halo:

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=3150

majax
12-30-04, 12:45 AM
The satelites are my favorite laptops and I wish Toshiba made Desktops still. That really stinks the Celeron wasn't good but heck its working now and they got a Pentium 4. I had a Satelite '95 and it ran for 7 years and was still going when we threw it away. My mom also has one in her office and thats pretty spiffy. Good to get your folks with the technology I think it keeps people alive.

Elvis
12-30-04, 11:41 AM
I agree with you about Celerons, Ralph.

My problem with the last Toshiba I had was heat-related. I have one with a fried motherboard.

I love the unit as far as size and functionality go, but it only lasted about 19 months. I'm still waiting on the cost of those replacement motherboards to go down, then I'm going to buy one and fix it myself.

Andrew60SP
12-30-04, 05:19 PM
Hey Ralph, did you ever get the Netgear wireless router to work?
I gave up and returned mine yesterday after it would work at my friend's house, but not mine. :mad:

Ralph
12-30-04, 05:44 PM
Hey Ralph, did you ever get the Netgear wireless router to work?
I gave up and returned mine yesterday after it would work at my friend's house, but not mine. :mad:

Yup, got it working.

The trick is when you are in the "wireless network connection" under Control Panal, RIGHT CLICK wireless network connection. Then some boxes pop up and you have to make sure it says "NetGear" in the top box. It's a bit tricky and there are some other things to set up as well. Make sure wireless switch is turned "ON" on the side of the labtop. On Satellites it's on the right side-top, and it lights up also.

Software came with the Netgear but in most cases it isn't necessary to install in the harddrive. I didn't have to. The Wizzard makes that connection, more or less.

They can talk you through it with their 1-800 help line but like I said, it's India your calling and a bit difficult to understand and their speak volume is too low, so there cannot be ANY sounds in your room when you call. :banghead:

Andrew60SP
12-30-04, 06:22 PM
My problem was I couldn't even get through updating the settings. Eventually, it would just take me to a blank page. Oh well, maybe another brand will work for me.

That's quite a leap your parents took. It took me a while to teach my dad to even double-click, but now he knows how to use the net for online banking. Not bad for a senior who knows little english. :D

Ralph
12-30-04, 06:32 PM
My problem was I couldn't even get through updating the settings. Eventually, it would just take me to a blank page. Oh well, maybe another brand will work for me.

That's quite a leap your parents took. It took me a while to teach my dad to even double-click, but now he knows how to use the net for online banking. Not bad for a senior who knows little english. :D

Netgear is supposedly one of the "better" brands.

That's why I was back home for quite some time. The double clicking had to be explained why it's only on the desktop, and why and where you would right or left click!! Time consuming and I hope they don't get stressed over it too much. I put a bunch of stuff on the favorites they'll like, etc. I didn't have time to go over the new HP All-in one but I tested it and installed the software. I made sure they got Alpha-Shield, that external firewall that keeps you invisable on the net for hackers, viruses, spyware, etc. There is a bad storm hitting so I had to come back yesterday.

The major problem they had was the mouse cursor. Holding it still and clicking was no problem with the built-in pad, but I had them get a wireless mouse (included software as you probably know) because I thought it would make it easier for them, especially highliting for printing, etc. but they find it worse.

Also having to explain why you go to the "Start" button to SHUT DOWN properly, LOL!

evilrussian
12-30-04, 06:38 PM
Don't use a wireless mouse, just get a ball-less instead (like a red laser or something) My parents are pretty old and that what they like to use the most. I gave up teaching them how to use touchpad :helpless:

Ralph
12-30-04, 07:51 PM
Don't use a wireless mouse, just get a ball-less instead (like a red laser or something) My parents are pretty old and that what they like to use the most. I gave up teaching them how to use touchpad :helpless:

The old ball ones are terrible! Once or twice a week I would have to disassemble it and clean all three little wheels in there that the ball makes contact with.

I have a "Logitech" optical (lazer) corded mouse like you recommend.

Their wireless optical is a bit of a pain because you have to connect the little transmitter to a usb port everytime you want to use it, and then remove it or the batteries in the mouse will go deal.

Playdrv4me
12-31-04, 02:51 AM
I have a Toshiba 1005-S157 Celeron 1.13GHz proc unit. Frankly the ONLY problem ive ever had with it (and it gets beat to shit, theres probably ants living in it now since i eat around it), is that the touchpad moust freezes for a split second every once in a while. Other than that, what happens to all laptops when their dropped happened to mine, no nothing important broke, but of course the power cord input in the back got ripped clean off the board since it fell off the bed onto its back and was plugged in at the time. I tore it apart and pseudo-resaudered it, but it still has to be just making the right contact to stay put, oh and their batteries are shit, this one is like 2 years old and it has never held a good charge.

I do agree the classic Satellites (the white ones) were some of the best laptops ever.

Ralph
12-31-04, 02:58 AM
I have a Toshiba 1005-S157 Celeron 1.13GHz proc unit. Frankly the ONLY problem ive ever had with it (and it gets beat to shit, theres probably ants living in it now since i eat around it), is that the touchpad moust freezes for a split second every once in a while. Other than that, what happens to all laptops when their dropped happened to mine, no nothing important broke, but of course the power cord input in the back got ripped clean off the board since it fell off the bed onto its back and was plugged in at the time. I tore it apart and pseudo-resaudered it, but it still has to be just making the right contact to stay put, oh and their batteries are shit, this one is like 2 years old and it has never held a good charge.

I do agree the classic Satellites (the white ones) were some of the best laptops ever.

White would be nice.

Dad bought the extended warrenty because supposedly the batteries are 250 bucks!

The mouse pad froze on the second one they got and I rebooted 3 times and it wouldn't reset. I don't tolerate that.

The battery lasted about an hour on the celeron laps, a little longer for some reason on the pentium 4.

majax
12-31-04, 03:06 AM
Oh.. I had one of the white ones :bouncy:

all our internet stuff is netgear but we had an IT guy set it up.

evilrussian
12-31-04, 10:52 AM
Celerons are garbage, just like some people mentioned already. They tend to run hotter than P's, not a good idea in a laptop since everything is so close together already, and all the extra heat would explain quicker power drain, energy is wasted on temperture and not on processing power.

It's also sad that alot of people get suckered in by gimmicks like high GHZ rating, whether it's a celeron, pentium or AMD, which isn't neccesarily translated into computer speed or performance. There are many different factors that make a computer usable for the tasks needed.

Ralph
01-01-05, 01:41 AM
whether it's a celeron, pentium or AMD

Now I see in fliers that some Toshiba Laptops have a "Centrino" 725 processor. This must be something new as I've never heard of it. I wonder how it will stack up against the others for reliability/bugs, etc.

Playdrv4me
01-01-05, 03:25 AM
Celerons are garbage, just like some people mentioned already. They tend to run hotter than P's, not a good idea in a laptop since everything is so close together already, and all the extra heat would explain quicker power drain, energy is wasted on temperture and not on processing power.

It's also sad that alot of people get suckered in by gimmicks like high GHZ rating, whether it's a celeron, pentium or AMD, which isn't neccesarily translated into computer speed or performance. There are many different factors that make a computer usable for the tasks needed.

RAM!!

Playdrv4me
01-01-05, 03:27 AM
Now I see in fliers that some Toshiba Laptops have a "Centrino" 725 processor. This must be something new as I've never heard of it. I wonder how it will stack up against the others for reliability/bugs, etc.

Centrino is Intel's new mobile processor methodology, taken a step further than the Pentium "M" thats been around for a couple of years. It was hyped waaay up when it was in the works, but once finally in production, Centrino was really a processor designed to run in portables, that delivers a much higher level of performance from lower processor speed (echoing what Evilrussian said), including wireless capabilities, and with VASTLY extended battery life.

An analogy that I like to use is that its like the days of Carrying around a big boombox to listen to CDs. The centrino is akin to carrying around a Discman instead of the boombox.

Ralph
01-01-05, 03:33 AM
Centrino is Intel's new mobile processor methodology, taken a step further than the Pentium "M" thats been around for a couple of years. It was hyped waaay up when it was in the works, but once finally in production, Centrino was really a processor designed to run in portables, that delivers a much higher level of performance from lower processor speed (echoing what Evilrussian said), including wireless capabilities, and with VASTLY extended battery life.

An analogy that I like to use is that its like the days of Carrying around a big boombox to listen to CDs. The centrino is akin to carrying around a Discman instead of the boombox.

Interesting. Where was my AMD processor made? What processors does silicone valley produce? I guess I'm curious if I have an American made processor, as my buddy thinks they are made there.

I hope this means my computer won't break down! :D

evilrussian
01-01-05, 10:20 AM
RAM!!
L1, L2 cache, frontside bus... as well

1toycad
01-01-05, 12:11 PM
Ralph, sorry that your parents are having problems with their computer. I bought my parents a computer (desktop) a few years ago and I had to shop for the simplest, most bullteproof computer around (my parents are the ultimate Luddites). So I feel your pain buddy.

Like most people have already stated, the Celeron CPU is not a good choice for a laptop computer. Neither is the AMD Athlon for that matter. The P4 CPU is a good choice if your parents are going to use the laptop as a desktop replacement. It has great computing horsepower, but lousy battery life.

I recently purchased a Toshiba laptop with the Centrino CPU and an 80 Gb hard drive. After rebates, it came out to $1100.00 It is a great laptop and it is loaded with features. I checked with Consumer Reports and they list the Toshiba brand as having the fewest problems, right after Apple and Sony. Also, Consumer Reports and one of the computer magazines (I can't recall which one) lists the Toshiba as a very reliable brand with great consumer support.

I had a quick issue with my laptop. I called Customer Support and in less than two minutes I was speaking with a man who claimed to be in Canada. He spoke with a very slight Asian accent. Given the information he gave me, I do believe he was in Canada, so I guess that's not too far away, I mean, Canada is almost like a state, except for the high taxes and left-wing politics, right Ralph :rolleyes: (no I wasn't referring to California).

Anyway, the service call was quick, the fellow's English was as close to the Queen's English as I have ever heard and the problem was taken care in less than five minutes.

Overall I am happy with the Toshiba Satellite (Model S329). :)

Oh yes...HAPPY NEW YEAR :drinker

Ralph
01-01-05, 03:34 PM
Ralph, sorry that your parents are having problems with their computer. I bought my parents a computer (desktop) a few years ago and I had to shop for the simplest, most bullteproof computer around (my parents are the ultimate Luddites). So I feel your pain buddy.

Like most people have already stated, the Celeron CPU is not a good choice for a laptop computer. Neither is the AMD Athlon for that matter. The P4 CPU is a good choice if your parents are going to use the laptop as a desktop replacement. It has great computing horsepower, but lousy battery life.

I recently purchased a Toshiba laptop with the Centrino CPU and an 80 Gb hard drive. After rebates, it came out to $1100.00 It is a great laptop and it is loaded with features. I checked with Consumer Reports and they list the Toshiba brand as having the fewest problems, right after Apple and Sony. Also, Consumer Reports and one of the computer magazines (I can't recall which one) lists the Toshiba as a very reliable brand with great consumer support.

I had a quick issue with my laptop. I called Customer Support and in less than two minutes I was speaking with a man who claimed to be in Canada. He spoke with a very slight Asian accent. Given the information he gave me, I do believe he was in Canada, so I guess that's not too far away, I mean, Canada is almost like a state, except for the high taxes and left-wing politics, right Ralph :rolleyes: (no I wasn't referring to California).

Anyway, the service call was quick, the fellow's English was as close to the Queen's English as I have ever heard and the problem was taken care in less than five minutes.

Overall I am happy with the Toshiba Satellite (Model S329). :)

Oh yes...HAPPY NEW YEAR :drinker

Happy New Year to you!! Good to hear from ya.

That's good to know about the reliability ratings because I didn't check them before recommending a particular brand. "epinions.com" is another really interesting site where consumers give their opinions of ANY product they've had from computers to cars, etc. Worth a look.

One thing I noticed about Centrino models is that the adds don't list the speed of the processor, ie. 2.8 ghz.

I was also told by a computer salesmen that Sony is very overrated and no better than others and they cost a lot more.

Remember, the West is right wing. ;)

Ralph
01-02-05, 12:56 AM
Another thing. I was amazed at how many radio channels they were able to get through Windows Media Player on the Labtop! 10 times more than me and my computer is only 2 months old!

Is there a way to update the radio channels or something??!!

I want MORE!

Playdrv4me
01-02-05, 03:39 AM
Happy New Year to you!! Good to hear from ya.

That's good to know about the reliability ratings because I didn't check them before recommending a particular brand. "epinions.com" is another really interesting site where consumers give their opinions of ANY product they've had from computers to cars, etc. Worth a look.

One thing I noticed about Centrino models is that the adds don't list the speed of the processor, ie. 2.8 ghz.

I was also told by a computer salesmen that Sony is very overrated and no better than others and they cost a lot more.

Remember, the West is right wing. ;)

Intel is moving away (bout' time) from sticking so much to Processor speed as a measure of performance. The reason you dont typically see Centrino speeds listed is A. they would seem rediculously slow on paper compared to your typical processor (currently anywhere between 1.13 and 1.7Ghz I think) and B. because the speed doesnt really matter in relation to the overall performance garnered by the entire package.

Sony for the most part is over-rated, unless you want one of their specialty laptops, like the tiny ones they build so well (i.e. Picturebook series). By the way, as I predicted, the whole "tablet-pc" thing seems to have gone out like a bad Steven Segal flick. I see less and less of them around, cheaper and cheaper, I considered getting one, until I realized I had no real use for it other than the cool factor.

1toycad
01-02-05, 12:35 PM
I like Sony computers. I bought Sony desktops for two of my kids and Sony laptops for the other two. I am very happpy because the Sony computers, especially the laptops, are bullet proof--heavy, solid and reliable. Also, for the longest time the Sony laptops were the only ones with built-in firewire access. So I considered getting a VAIO laptop for myself.

But I have a really nice desktop that I built myself and so I couldn't justify spending the extra bucks for another Sony laptop. So I got the Toshiba and I must say I am very impressed. If my Toshiba laptop had been available when I bought my kids' laptops I'd probably have bought them Toshibas. Still, the Sony laptops have proved to be very reliable, especially in the hands of teenagers who are less than gentle with computer equipment.

My Toshiba's Centrino CPU is rated at 1.6 Gh. But it has a large cache and so it works a lot faster than the number would seem to indicate. As Playdr4me indicated, CPU speed is not like horsepower, a higher CPU speed does not necessarily mean higher computing speeds. I too was going to buy a tablet, for the cool factor. I am glad I did not!