: Headlights

mbflg8r
01-25-13, 10:15 PM
Is anyone else as surprised as I am how dim the headlights are? I also drive a 2007 Infinti G35 that has Xenon headlights standard. I find it hard to believe a 2013 ATS has the old basic headlights and Xenon headlights were optional on the 2013 ATS.

bdwalters
01-25-13, 11:51 PM
Yes, the base headlights do suck pretty bad. (The 3 series has equally crappy base headlights as well.) The car manufacturers are trying to keep the base prices low, so they put low-grade features in (interior, stereo, lights) and give you the opportunity to upgrade them by paying more. In this case it really sucks, as I want the good lights, but I don't want to pay $7000 more for the performance package to get them. (The aftermarket is also an option, or will be soon.) I hope Cadillac will eventually have more of an a-la-carte option sheet that lets buyers get certain key features without having to option all of the way up. In my case, I would love to be able to buy a standard model with CUE, a sunroof, adaptive lights, and an adaptive suspension. All of the other upgrades are of little interest to me, so I hate the idea of paying more for them and then having more things that can break and depreciate. This is one of the reasons that I haven't bought the car yet. Cadillac, I hope you are listening!

marktanner
01-26-13, 01:11 AM
I agree that the base headlights suck, especially the high beams. I am also surprised that HIDs are not available on the Luxury, much less the base model, as the Luxury seems to be the most popular. If one equips both the Luxury and Performance 2.0s with Nav and Driver Awareness, the difference is only $1155. For that money, one gets the HIDs, LED front and door handle lighting, sport seats with adjustable bolsters, paddle shifters, and sport pedals, while losing the polished finish on the wheels and the split folding seatbacks. The point is that the HIDs are probably costing about $500, and would probably be a popular stand-alone option at that price, or could easily be included in the Luxury package without raising the price too much for most people. IMO, the Luxury should also include the higher level sound system instead of requiring Nav to get it. These changes would probably enhance that model's popularity and sales, especially since the dealers aren't stocking many Performance and Premium cars, from my experience. In fact, I had to order a Premium, because no Performance or Premium manuals were available within 100 miles, and I really wanted the better headlights.

mbflg8r
01-26-13, 03:46 PM
I agree with both of the responses. I thinks it's ironic that I have a car with amazing technology with the driver awareness package that is constantly telling about what happening around me but I have the worst headlights money can buy.

mikesul
01-27-13, 08:24 AM
I didn't want to spend the extra to get a Premium, but sure wanted the Mag shocks. Settled for the Performance 2.0T with manual trans. Delivery Tues 12/29!! Thunder Gray with Morello red inside.

rustybear3
02-01-13, 07:43 AM
I agree that the base headlights suck, especially the high beams. I am also surprised that HIDs are not available on the Luxury, much less the base model, as the Luxury seems to be the most popular. If one equips both the Luxury and Performance 2.0s with Nav and Driver Awareness, the difference is only $1155. For that money, one gets the HIDs, LED front and door handle lighting, sport seats with adjustable bolsters, paddle shifters, and sport pedals, while losing the polished finish on the wheels and the split folding seatbacks. The point is that the HIDs are probably costing about $500, and would probably be a popular stand-alone option at that price, or could easily be included in the Luxury package without raising the price too much for most people. IMO, the Luxury should also include the higher level sound system instead of requiring Nav to get it. These changes would probably enhance that model's popularity and sales, especially since the dealers aren't stocking many Performance and Premium cars, from my experience. In fact, I had to order a Premium, because no Performance or Premium manuals were available within 100 miles, and I really wanted the better headlights.

You can't get the HID on a CTS unless you upgrade to Performance or Premium either......at almost $5000 between models...same was true on the STS cars as well......been that way for years. All car manufacturers package their options to maximize profits and get you to upgrade models; otherwise, what's the incentive?....To me a $1150 is a bargain for what you get.

marktanner
02-01-13, 08:36 AM
On the base CTS, at least the non HID headlights weren't terrible. The base lights on the ATS are pretty bad, IMO.

Rozay619
02-01-13, 10:38 AM
I haven't noticed dimness issue with my headlights, seem decently bright. I am pissed that i didn't pay close enought attention when i bought the car, the salesman told me the lights on the base 2.0t are HID, and come to find out they are not! I can't blame anyone but myself at this point.... :(

katz
02-01-13, 03:15 PM
These headlights are the only thing that I found truly disappointing with this car. Absolutely amazed they put these on there, I misunderstood that the Luxury trim had HID - Nope! Thought those awesome HIDs with the LED fog were signature Cadillac, don't think I've seen a picture without them. I would have at least considered the extra cost had I known. Now I have a brand new Cadillac and I have to go online to buy an HID conversion kit which requires me to Remove the Bumper to get at the lights! - ridiculous. My last 2 SAAB 9-3 Aeros had the Bi-Xenon with adaptive lighting - now everything just looks so dim in comparison.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-01-13, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone! I wanted to jump on this thread to quickly let you know I'm documenting your headlight reactions where the proper GM teams can view them. I'm so sorry some of you have been disappointed, so please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to document any additional comments regarding the ATS lights.

Best

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

p1nball
02-01-13, 06:00 PM
Just got my ATS and sad to have traded the CTS . My drive is on country roads and the low beams are fair but the high beams are very poor. All the light goes up in the trees!! My Traded CTS with non HIDs worked great. Has anyone tried to access the headlights from the wheelwells for a HID conversion? Also is there a thread on HVAC problems? Have issues with unit not staying in syn and changing temps from pass side to drver side or going cold to hot by itself.
p1nball

AtlantaGuy00
02-01-13, 09:15 PM
yes, there is a thread on the HVAC system. It's titled "tapping noice HVAC system". We're documenting all of our HVAC issues there, primarily the noise the heat makes.

blue_skies
02-02-13, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone! I wanted to jump on this thread to quickly let you know I'm documenting your headlight reactions where the proper GM teams can view them. I'm so sorry some of you have been disappointed, so please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to document any additional comments regarding the ATS lights.

Best

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Katie, thanks for noticing this. This has been a recurring topic, and many have complained in similar tone. There is also a thread about suggested changes, which particular points to HID and MRC being user selectable options, like CUE, and not packaged options.

Fwiw, HID should be included in all variants of a luxury car, imo.

Hoosier Daddy
02-05-13, 08:51 PM
You can't get the HID on a CTS unless you upgrade to Performance or Premium either......at almost $5000 between models...same was true on the STS cars as well......been that way for years. All car manufacturers package their options to maximize profits and get you to upgrade models; otherwise, what's the incentive?
Yes, car manufacturers do that. And I don't mind that at all. I'm encouraged that Cadillac keep people on the payroll who actually volunteer that the packages contain things people wouldn't pay for unless they had to. :yup:

But Cadillac definitely got it wrong this time. Ford did the same things with HIDs but figured out it was a mistake over a year ago. HIDs became standard on even base Mustangs the previous model year. I'm assuming its not because Ford customers are more discerning than Cadillac buyers. Interestingly, the price for a base car didn't go up a dime.

bdwalters
02-09-13, 05:07 PM
I agree that HIDs should be standard in the luxury trim, if not a seperate option for all trims. I plan on getting a standard right now, but I would upgrade to luxury for the better lights.

thebigjimsho
02-11-13, 10:47 AM
Katie, thanks for noticing this. This has been a recurring topic, and many have complained in similar tone. There is also a thread about suggested changes, which particular points to HID and MRC being user selectable options, like CUE, and not packaged options.

Fwiw, HID should be included in all variants of a luxury car, imo.

No luxury car maker has HIDs on all models, all the time...

blue_skies
02-11-13, 12:42 PM
No luxury car maker has HIDs on all models, all the time...

That's why there is a 'no-thrills' 'base' model.

If you call an uplevel model "Luxury" it should have it.

Or be at least optional ...

katz
02-11-13, 04:13 PM
I agree, buying a Luxury Trim Level implies not paying for crappy headlights, these are really bad, even my kids notice the difference from the Xenons we had previously.

AtlantaGuy00
02-11-13, 09:47 PM
I'm pretty disappointed with the power of my headlights too. Seams like the old fashioned sealed beam halogens were better. I find myself hitting the brights on city streets when able to see where I'm going. The thing is, there is so much to love about the car for cadillac to miss some of these details.

Hoosier Daddy
02-13-13, 12:37 AM
I believe the non-HID lights are projector type which in theory may mean its practical to swap out the bulbs for aftermarket HID components. Its dangerous and irresponsible to do that with conventional reflector halogen lights but sometimes can with projectors. If these don't fall into that category don't jump on me. I haven't even got my car yet and haven't researched it. ;) I realize it would still technically be illegal but may not cause any of the problems those laws were passed to prevent.

ral1960
02-13-13, 01:50 AM
I'm just glad so many of you aren't blinding me at night with your HIDs and your fog lights on when it's perfectly clear and the street lights are on. At least with the ATS, the lights look very cool when they're not in your eyes, unlike 99% of the other bozos with their fogs on.

Hoosier Daddy
02-13-13, 07:17 AM
I'm just glad so many of you aren't blinding me at night with your HIDs and your fog lights on when it's perfectly clear and the street lights are on. At least with the ATS, the lights look very cool when they're not in your eyes, unlike 99% of the other bozos with their fogs on.
You do realize that since there are more than 100 bozos in the world, NONE of them will think you are talking about them. ;)

rocco11189
02-14-13, 07:42 PM
Has anyone tried to install fog lights on their ATS?

danscrim
02-18-13, 09:19 AM
Has anyone tried to install fog lights on their ATS?

I think blue_skies did HID & fog light installation. See this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/274124-hid-led-headlights.html).

Its an ATS
02-18-13, 12:51 PM
I think blue_skies did HID & fog light installation. See this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/274124-hid-led-headlights.html).

I think he is talking a traditional fog light. LEDs don't really function like a fog light...

blue_skies
02-18-13, 07:58 PM
I think he is talking a traditional fog light. LEDs don't really function like a fog light...

That is correct. Once you put in the HID, you won't need any fog lights, they are that bright.

The LEDs are just there to have a DRL option without turning on the HID.

rocco11189
02-18-13, 08:52 PM
Is there a wiring harness there for the stock fog lights to be put in if we wanted? Blue_Skies how did you connect your current LED fogs? I PM'd you awhile ago but the inbox was full so I was never able to receive the message.