: Early build part availability problem...

ddalder
01-25-13, 07:05 PM
I ordered a new forward lamp harness for my car. Unfortunately, the part number for my VIN is not the same harness as the one installed in the car. It is missing the connector for the air quality sensor. Everything else seems to be the same though. My car doesn't show K14 on the Service Parts Identification label, but the module is clearly installed and connected to the factory harness. I looked at the harness and took the part number right off the tag. It still comes up as a valid number, but there is no stock anywhere in North America. The parts department tells me that in all likelihood that GM will cancel the order if they do place it on order.

2008 was of course a year of change for the STS and mine was a very early build. In fact, I have RPO WD0 - Platform Containment Vehicle. In speaking with GM, I'm told this RPO means it was one of the first production cars and was sent off for quality evaluation. My best guess is that some of the records for these very early cars did not carry over properly and a harness P/N was crossed over to my car that is not actually compatible.

Not quite sure what to do in order to obtain this part...

EChas3
01-25-13, 08:06 PM
Good luck DD. I have confidence you will overcome that challenge.

Ludacrisvp
01-25-13, 09:12 PM
Interesting.... I too have faith that of anyone here you will likely be able to get it done. Is this for your headlight mod?

ddalder
01-25-13, 10:04 PM
This is indeed for my headlamp mod. It's not the end of the world that the connector isn't there. What I did was purchase a brand new forward lamp harness for an export STS, and another brand new harness for my STS (or so I thought). The intent was to "merge" the two new harnesses into one (which is still what I'm going to do). I wanted to start with one that was as close as possible to the end product and then move across only the connectors and wiring necessary to create the final product. Since the export harness has the connector and wiring, it just means moving this across as well.

At first, based on GM technical data, I thought I'd be able to purchase the export harness and with minimal changes, create what I require. Well, I found out that the export harness for 2008 is nothing like what the service manual shows. It is basically for a 2007 model year which is a very different beast. Oh well, I've updated entire body harnesses which were many times the work involved here. I've got harness wrap tape on the way as well that's suitable for use in the engine compartment. Once this arrives next week I'll get started on the surgery.

carter's_sts
01-26-13, 01:49 AM
What are you doing to your headlamps?

ddalder
01-26-13, 02:04 AM
The intent is to install the export (European) auto-leveling headlamps. These ones are controlled by a headlamp leveling module that receives data either from the suspension control module (for vehicles equipped with F55) or signals from discrete sensors on the LF and LR suspension.

KRSTS
01-26-13, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=ddalder;3203942]
2008 was of course a year of change for the STS and mine was a very early build. In fact, I have RPO WD0 - Platform Containment Vehicle. In speaking with GM, I'm told this RPO means it was one of the first production cars and was sent off for quality evaluation. My best guess is that some of the records for these very early cars did not carry over properly and a harness P/N was crossed over to my car that is not actually compatible.

[/QUOTE

I also have an early build 2008 with the RPO WDO. It took me quite a while to track down what WDO meant. Mine was only 8 months old and only had 5000 miles on it when I purchased it as a CPO. It was origonally titled to GM Detroit, so essentially I was the first owner. Don't know what GM used it for but I have had very few issues. I have not discovered any anomolies in nearly five years of ownership.

carter's_sts
01-26-13, 09:59 AM
That will be cool.

The intent is to install the export (European) auto-leveling headlamps. These ones are controlled by a headlamp leveling module that receives data either from the suspension control module (for vehicles equipped with F55) or signals from discrete sensors on the LF and LR suspension.