: running without air pump?

cadillac_81
01-25-13, 02:40 PM
I got a 368 carbuerated motor and i was wondering what would happen if you run it without an air pump, cause mines locking up

drmenard
01-25-13, 09:29 PM
Taking off the air pump and the rest of the parts on the system won't hurt a thing... Most guys want to get rid of that stuff... But to take off that stuff you will need some non air pump pulleys... They made your pulley system so if you take off the air pump fan belt the alt. will not turn... So what you can do is get a crank pulley and waterpump pulley off a non air pump car . They were on some 76 cars with a 500 and most 77-79 cars with the 425 motor... Find a donor car and get the two pulleys and if you want to neaten it up get the alt brackets off the donor car.. the ones you have will work but the bracket that was made for no air pump looks better...

cadillac_81
01-25-13, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info, i took off the air pump and bought a belt that drives the water pump crank and alternator, the power steering has its own belt and when .i got it, it didnt have a AC compressor. I just install the belt and thats it!!! It runs way better without pulleys. My car is an 81 but the engine and tranny is from a 80, this is the diesel model i have but the engine was swapped and tranny years ago