: Who's got Doom 3?

DopeStar 156
12-29-04, 10:47 PM
Anyone here got Doom 3 on their computer? I just got it and I'm having video trouble with choppyness. Anyone else?

majax
12-29-04, 10:57 PM
Anyone here got Doom 3 on their computer? I just got it and I'm having video trouble with choppyness. Anyone else?

My computer was doing that with DVDs for a bit. Try either re-loading the game and make sure other programs are not going while it is. Is it a fun game?

evilrussian
12-29-04, 10:59 PM
Try reducing resolution in game settings. What hardware do you have?

illumina
12-29-04, 11:05 PM
doom 3 requires quite a bit of ram (near 400 mb), and im sure the you need at least 128 mb of video too.

i have the game, but have not yet installed it on my system. im not too worried though, i have more than enough ram and a decent video card to run it.

now a friend of mine has the new "medal of honor" game, and it requires more ram than his system even has...i think he needs a new system anyways.

JDelorean_srx
12-31-04, 11:07 AM
That vid "Choppy-ness" might be the excuse you need to upgrade your vid card.

As the prev. posts mentioned - ram & vid ram have high min. limits.

I got the ati radeon 9800 pro and it works Saweeeaatt!

Note: I was kind of dissapointed with the game though - too dark, but some mods are out now to help - like a flash-light that will work with the gun, etc..

..playing in a darkened room did give a few jumps though!! :eek:

DopeStar 156
12-31-04, 12:14 PM
Well I've taken the following steps. I upgraded my memory from 248 MB to 760 MB. I also upgraded my virtual memory from 300 something to 1,100 something. I'm still experiencing choppyness. I walked downstairs this morning and apparently I discovered a video card on my kitchen table, my dad must've picked it up, so I'll upgrade my vid card next and see if that helps. As for Doom 3 itself, we played it on my dad's laptop and it runs great there. It's mad scary, 20 minutes into the game I was cornered and destroyed by zombies armed with pipe wrenches. It's awesome.

ben72227
12-31-04, 03:59 PM
I've played the demo and its great, a bit too dark though. Anyways, I think I'm going to get as soon as I'm over with the game i got for Christmas; Half-Life 2 :lildevil:

Ralph
12-31-04, 04:01 PM
Does anyone know if it will be made available for PS2?

I'll get "Call of Duty" first though.

illumina
12-31-04, 04:06 PM
I upgraded my memory from 248 MB to 760 MB.

it sounds like you have about 8 mb of memory allocated to you video through the bios. now that you have a decent video card, you can go into your bios and free that 8 mb up by setting the allocation to 0..if your bios will allow it, which it should. it may not seem like a lot, but every little bit (8mb) helps.

danbuc
12-31-04, 04:11 PM
What kind of graphics card do you have. I've got an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb card in my computer. I've also got a gig of ram in my computer along with a 3Ghz Pentuim 4. The highest resolution I can play the game in is 1024x768. That game doesn't really like high resolutions. I had to download a driver update from ATI in order for it to run properly. Before I did that, it would freeze. It was aliitle dark, but that flashlight mod did help a little. The only problem is that it doesn't work with the larger weapons (gattling gun, soul cube,...ect) The best mods I've found were unlimited ammo, and all weapons. The end of that game is rediculous. :thumbsup: