: Remote start!!!

jzamo
01-24-13, 01:21 PM
Hello everyone i'm new to the forum. Recently my check engine light came on and now my car won't remote start.

Are this two issues some how related? Also i notice that the car need it two quarts of oil will that make the light come on??

I own a 07 sts this is my first cadilliac and i love it can anyone help?

1BadCadSTS
01-24-13, 01:51 PM
Per the manual with the cel on remote start is disabled.

Try reading it. A lot of usefull stuff in there!

curtc
01-24-13, 01:54 PM
:welcome:

You will need to have your OBDII codes scanned to figure out what triggered the SES light. Bring it to any of the large chain parts store, ie. Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly's and they will scan it for free.

You'll need to get that taken care of before the remote start will work again.

EChas3
01-24-13, 10:47 PM
Such free scans are no substute for proper service. They may be accurate but often won't tell the whole story.

You can do a system reset yourself to restore the remote start but the next SES light will disable it until the root cause is corrected. The system reset is to pull the battery cables, touch them together & reinstall. If you're not familiar with battery service, disconnect the negetive first and reconnect it last. It's safer.

jzamo
01-25-13, 12:37 PM
Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try the system reset first and if it happens again I'm definitely getting the codes. But do you all think this all happen
because the car needed two quarts of oil??? i haven't added the oil because I'm doing an oil change tomorrow. My engine oil life is at 30% Did I wait too long??
i really don't know and I sure don't want to mistreat my car...

curtc
01-25-13, 12:55 PM
Oil life is NOT oil level.

Check your oil frequently, especially if you have the V6 as they are notorious for drinking it.

Also, if you have the V6, change every 5k, don't even use the OLM. I never did in my CTS.

jzamo
01-25-13, 01:04 PM
Thank you. I've only had the car for a month and I'm still trying to figure out all the bells and whistles.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-25-13, 03:34 PM
Jzamo, I'm very happy to see the community helped you! If you would ever like me to investigate vehicle questions further for you or call your dealer on your behalf, please contact me anytime via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

EChas3
01-25-13, 07:32 PM
Never run with oil low. VVT runs on oil pressure. V6's catastrophic oil loss leads to other damage.

curtc
01-25-13, 08:19 PM
Never run with oil low. VVT runs on oil pressure. V6's catastrophic oil loss leads to other damage.

:yeah: like snapped timing chains and bent valves...basically a new engine.

Ludacrisvp
01-25-13, 09:13 PM
Great way to get a new engine :)

EChas3
01-25-13, 09:38 PM
Great way to get a new engine :)

...if under warranty.

1BadCadSTS
01-26-13, 07:57 AM
^ sad the same chains are used but only 07 qualifies for extended coverage.

KRSTS
01-26-13, 09:44 AM
^ sad the same chains are used but only 07 qualifies for extended coverage.

Not true! I have an 08 and I have the special extended warranty on the timing chains.

1BadCadSTS
01-26-13, 10:15 AM
Not true! I have an 08 and I have the special extended warranty on the timing chains.

Still doesn't help the 04-06s

KRSTS
01-26-13, 11:37 AM
Still doesn't help the 04-06s

Don't believe they made the 04 STS (Seville) with a six cylinder engine.

curtc
01-26-13, 12:37 PM
Don't believe they made the 04 STS (Seville) with a six cylinder engine.

They made CTS's with the 3.6 though. 2004 was the 1st year of the LY7 engine.

1BadCadSTS
01-26-13, 04:45 PM
Correct. I'm fully aware of the Seville engine and demise. I had a 97 and 03.

orange57
01-27-13, 07:02 PM
And didnt the SRX come with the V6 in 04 too?

curtc
01-27-13, 08:02 PM
And didnt the SRX come with the V6 in 04 too?

I believe so.

jzamo
01-27-13, 08:06 PM
Well I'm happy to post, with your help of course, i did the system reset remote start is working again. Did the oil change Mobil 1 and did the Turtle Wax
Black Box detail. Now my car runs like a dream and looks like dream... really happy!!!

curtc
01-27-13, 08:16 PM
For how long though? That is the question...Did you ever get the codes scanned to find out the cause of the check engine light?

siccs502
02-11-13, 11:58 PM
For how long though? That is the question...Did you ever get the codes scanned to find out the cause of the check engine light?

I have a 05 sts v6 with nav. My remote start hasnt ever worked in the 2 yrs I've owned it. I have a TPMS light on, would that cause it to not work? I also only have 1 key and it sometimes it remembers my key and sometimes it doesnt? Also when I try the remote start the cars lights flash like they are supposed to but no start? Thank you

1BadCadSTS
02-12-13, 09:29 AM
How do you start it if the fob "does not work"

B1n2fra
02-12-13, 10:21 AM
Do you do it properly? You have to press lock first then the start button.

siccs502
02-12-13, 11:16 AM
How do you start it if the fob "does not work"the fob work but sometime its just doesnt remember driver 1 or driver 2 but it always starts.

----------

Do you do it properly? You have to press lock first then the start button.Yes I followed the directions to a T! it does all the step right after the lights flash its supposed to start but nothing! I just noticed thT THEY WERE SAYING THAT IF YOU HAVE A SES (NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS ) BUT IT COULD STOP IT FROM WORKING. i HAVE A TPMS light on wondering if that would do it?

ambitionist
02-12-13, 11:19 AM
Have your previous history codes cleared, press lock twice until you hear the car beep and then hold the remote start button, good luck

Ludacrisvp
02-12-13, 01:53 PM
The remote vehicle start (RVS) System WILL NOT operate if any of the following conditions are present:
^ A current vehicle DTC that illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is set - obtain vehicle DTCs.
^ Keyless Entry Transmitter is not Operational.
^ The vehicle is in Valet Mode.
^ RVS is Disabled through Vehicle Personalization.
^ More than 2 Remote Starts have been attempted.
^ The HAZARD switch is in the ON position.
^ A current HAZARD switch DTC is set.
^ A current HOOD AJAR DTC is set.
^ Rear compartment lid is ajar.
^ Any Door is not locked.
^ The Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) system detects an alarm trigger.
^ Engine RPM greater than 0 Detected.
^ Excessive Coolant TEMP is registered.
^ Accelerator pedal position greater than 0 percent.
^ Vehicle is not in PARK.
^ A current Vehicle Theft Deterrent Malfunction DTC.
^ A current Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control System DTC is set.
^ A vehicle speed sensor signal is detected by the ECM.
^ Vehicle power mode is incorrect.

B1n2fra
02-12-13, 04:43 PM
Do you have navigation? If so check in the vehicle settings to see if remote starting is enabled.

EChas3
02-12-13, 08:58 PM
Your fob(s) are probably not matched as #1 or #2 and the Remote Start Option turned on for that driver.

Rematch the fobs and I predict it starts just fine from 250 feet away.

B1n2fra
02-13-13, 11:34 AM
Your fob(s) are probably not matched as #1 or #2 and the Remote Start Option turned on for that driver.

Rematch the fobs and I predict it starts just fine from 250 feet away.

Yes drivers 3 and 4 as I recall doesn't remote start the car.