: so im thinking of leaving the dts to go sts northstar and awd

big greg
01-24-13, 11:34 AM
is an exhaust and lowering springs readily available? I really like the awd but I might settle for the v any thoughts and opinions

orange57
01-24-13, 11:49 AM
Exhaust is available, but i don't know it gains you much other than sound. There is another thread going on lowering springs right now. Scroll down a little, it is very recent.

big greg
01-24-13, 12:01 PM
I'm also thinking between the extra 100+ ponies and just rwd the v might be a bit more fun

curtc
01-24-13, 12:16 PM
I'm also thinking between the extra 100+ ponies and just rwd the v might be a bit more fun

Definitely more fun, more aftermarket options...but more expensive obviously...

big greg
01-24-13, 12:22 PM
yes you can find a low mile northstar for 15k. the v is around 20-23 and insurance I'd imagine will be more

curtc
01-24-13, 12:45 PM
yes you can find a low mile northstar for 15k. the v is around 20-23 and insurance I'd imagine will be more

More than likely...I bought my 06 STS with 71k on her for $15,999 last May....V's were well over 20g's when I was still looking around, way out of my price range...

1BadCadSTS
01-24-13, 01:15 PM
V is not a winter car. Have a beater or avoid it.

big greg
01-24-13, 01:39 PM
that's what I thought about the awd nice for the winter

----------

is there a significant difference in performance between the northstar rwd and awd

1BadCadSTS
01-24-13, 01:49 PM
About .5 secs in the 1/4. Advantage is a better launch. I also have my tcm tuned to eliminate torque management so I can 2 pedal off the line. Major sacrifice is going to be mpg. The 3.23 gears and awd kill it especially an 05-06 with the 5 speed tranny vs the 07+ 6 speed.

big greg
01-24-13, 02:07 PM
I would be after an 07+ if I didn't pick my dts up at half blue book I would have shot for a. sts as I had an 01 Seville and loved it

----------

and also you can get sideways with the rwd ;)

curtc
01-24-13, 02:21 PM
and also you can get sideways with the rwd ;)

Only with the stability system turned off, very hard to do with it on....It says "No fun for you!" :)

Ludacrisvp
01-24-13, 03:17 PM
It can be done with the AWD too. Just get a lil snow

1BadCadSTS
01-24-13, 04:58 PM
^correct.

But my 98 SS does them a lot easier.

big greg
01-24-13, 09:33 PM
right but on dry pavement its so.much.more fun :)

Ludacrisvp
01-24-13, 09:50 PM
I'd only do RWD if it was the V and I didn't deal with snow or had kept my DTS for winter. And honestly I would have done the V if it would have been AWD for all seasons / weather. There is a black 07 V near me for 22k that I'd like to enjoy but some things will never happen.

curtc
01-24-13, 10:00 PM
right but on dry pavement its so.much.more fun :)

But so much worse for your tires...damn things aren't cheap!

I'd only do RWD if it was the V and I didn't deal with snow or had kept my DTS for winter. And honestly I would have done the V if it would have been AWD for all seasons / weather. There is a black 07 V near me for 22k that I'd like to enjoy but some things will never happen.

I made it through last winter in my CTS just fine, granted we hardly got any snow at all here in MN.

And so far I haven't had any problems in the STS this year. Almost lost her once on 494 after the Wakota bridge going over the Mississippi towards WI but I was able to straighten her out with a little help from the stability system....MNDOT has done a TERRIBLE job de-icing that stretch of 494 this season, cars in the ditch all over yesterday morning.

You just have to adjust to RWD in the winter, honestly, my STS gets around almost as good as my FWD Seville did, and it's MUCH more predictable. Plus, I can have fun in the STS if I want to...the Seville never allowed that.

Ludacrisvp
01-24-13, 10:13 PM
MNDOT.... What a joke. They were quite terrible everywhere on 94/494/694/394/169 well let's just say every major highway. But oh well we live in MN and will deal with it. AWD is not perfect either as she got a little squirrelly one day on 94 on my way into work.
The nannies in the Seville/Deville line would never let us have any FWD fun ever! At least we can turn them off now. :)

big greg
01-24-13, 10:27 PM
I wonder why they never made a v in awd? maybe the front end wouldn't hold up? kinda sucks

----------

and no.my Seville was boring in the snow wouldn't slide if I coaxed it

curtc
01-24-13, 10:30 PM
I wonder why they never made a v in awd? maybe the front end wouldn't hold up? kinda sucks

Cause the V is a BALLS OUT performance machine :) AWD isn't welcome there...

Ludacrisvp
01-24-13, 10:38 PM
Lol there is a thread on the CTS V section where AWD was talked about quite a bit. And for what it's worth there are a lot of supercars that are AWD. It would have been a nice OPTION to see also having the ability to control the power split manually from the driver seat too if equipped would have been the bee's knees. Go from 50/50 even split for launch then drop to 10/90 or 0/100 if desired for that RWD feel.

big greg
01-24-13, 11:51 PM
that would be awesome but $$$$$$$