: 13 srx subwoofer

Orange 5814
01-23-13, 11:43 PM
So I am really enjoying the new SRX. This is my first Cadillac. I have a quick question for all of you audiophiles out there. I have noticed that the sub seems to sound distorted even at low volumes. I have the audio pilot set to on. I have the base and midrange tone controls at the default setting. The treble is up a few notches. When I listen to the stereo at moderate, not loud, volumes the sub appears to "bottom out" or distort. It doesn't get worse when you turn up the volume, it just sounds disconcerting. The car is only three weeks old, and used by my wife. I am 100% confident that she did not blow the sub. Everything else sounds great, it just the mid-bass frequencies that seem to give the system problems. Again, this is with pop, top 40, adult contemporary type music; not rap or techno. I am an audio geek myself and have a very high end home system, so I know that I may be a more critical listener than most, however something doesn't seem quite right. As an audio geek, I am not generally a fan Bose. Am I just being pick? Any help is appreciated.

phunter1
01-24-13, 12:50 PM
Since no one has responded I will. I certainly do not consider myself an audiophile, but I have not noticed the distortion you are describing. I like a lot of bass and have it adjusted full on. I do get some distortion on songs with a lot of bass at high volume, but nothing like you are experiencing. I suspect that there is something wrong with your sub-woofer, or possibly, the amp. I'd suggest you have the dealer look at it. While there, you might take a listen to another SRX with the same setup to see if it also distorts.

You didn't say which stereo system you have. The Standard and Luxury models come with an 8 speaker system, the Performance and Premium come with a 10 speaker 5.1 surround sound system. This system is optional in the Luxury. It is the system I have in my Luxury model. Don't know much about the 8 speaker system. Not even sure if it has a sub-woofer or not. When I purchased my SRX, I listened to both systems and the 10 speaker 5.1 one sound better to me, so I opted for a vehicle wit the upgraded sound system with Nav. Personally, I'm quite happy with it.

Hope you find this helpful.

Phil

Orange 5814
01-24-13, 06:35 PM
Phil. Thank you. I am going to take your advice and listen to another SRX. I have a lux with Nav, so I have the 10 speaker system. I do appreciate your response and I will let you know how things turn out.

Thank you again,

Scott.

Denny41
01-29-13, 11:11 AM
I have to agree with Phil. I have the 10 speaker system with Nav. and have not experienced the problem you are having. I do not consider myself a true audiophile but have considerable knowledge in the field and for many years have had near hi-end equipment for my entertainment systems in the home. The Bose system is not the greatest available for automotive applications, but at least in my SRX, it produces a clean and undistorted sound at various sound levels.

NJRonbo
01-30-13, 12:25 PM
The Bose system is not the greatest available for automotive applications, but at least in my SRX, it produces a clean and undistorted sound at various sound levels.

Wish Cadillac would move away from Bose. There are really better audio systems out there used by other car manufacturers.

The popularity of Bose purely rests on its name and the amount of money the company spends to promote that name. Their speakers and other products (including headphones) are grossly overpriced.

People see the name Bose and they think, "Wow, I am getting a premium audio system from a well-known company." Anyone that is an audiophile and really knows speakers will tell you that Bose is probably one of the worst choices you can make in every case.

I remember owning an Acura RX back in 2007. They had a Panasonic audio system in that vehicle that blew the doors off anything Bose has put in Cadillac.

As far as the subwoofer is concerned, it's actually a little better in the 2013 than it was in the 2010. However, I had a $150-$200 enclosed subwoofer that I bought for my 2010 vehicle that I am using in my 2013 vehicle. The standard SRX subwoofers still don't have enough "oomph" for those that like their bass. The only problem with an enclosed subwoofer, of course, is that it takes up valuable cargo space in the rear.

Oh...btw...never demo the quality of your vehicle's sound by listening to satellite radio. Satellite radio may be distortion-free, but the bitrate is so low that music generally will always sound distorted at high levels. You certainly don't get anything close to CD quality audio with SiriusXM.

Huey Driver
01-30-13, 02:28 PM
Actually, with XM, it matters which channel you are listening to. True, many of them are substandard to CD quality, but they have (or had) a proprietary CODEC that got very close. Sirius, because of their model, had less bandwidth because they went for quantity (of channels) over quality.
I havent dug into it in many years, but know there is very much a difference between the two.

NJRonbo
01-30-13, 02:39 PM
Huey,

The only channels I understand have better codec are the classical channels (and perhaps) Pop Stations (20on20 and Hits1)

Are you aware of any others?

Huey Driver
01-30-13, 03:23 PM
Nope, you hit them there. I took a tour of the XM building ten years ago or so, they mentioned that stuff, but I cant recall much of the conversation now... :-)
I just knew that they had the capability to allocate bandwidth, on the fly, to various channels. They put most of the quality into classical, etc... And mega-compression on talk, etc. I could be completely wrong, but I thought I remembered hearing (way back when) that Sirius chose to allocate evenly.
I also believe, tho, that the receiver, decoder, amplifier etc can affect audio quality as much as anything.
I know I still have a study that was done of XM at home, I'll see if it has enough interesting to todays tech.
Quite literally, tho, the only similarity between sirius and XM was they use satellites. From the orbits (geo-stationary for XM, inclined geo-synchronous for sirius) right down to business model, they couldnt be any different....

jeffpaletz
02-03-13, 11:33 PM
I am a fan of great sound and don't have the distortion problem that you have in your SRX and I like a lot of bass. I've got the bass almost all the way up, midrange right in the middle and treble up 2 notches. I've never heard any distortion. I like music from the 70s. My guess is that there is something wrong with your sound system.

I rarely use XM because the sound quality is so bad. I do use CDs and an SD card for my music and I'm happy with the quality of sound from those sources.

I had XM years ago before they added so many channels. In those days it was CD quality sound. I still remember went they when to low bit rate and complained but they didn't care. Most people don't care about sound quality or XM wouldn't be as successful as they are.

NJRonbo
02-04-13, 07:13 AM
Jeff,

You have a great memory.

I was with XM from day one. Indeed, back then, the audio was CD quality.

There are many things I don't like about satellite radio from the lousy bitrate quality to the countless promotions (which are really commercials) and DJs talking all over the music. If it were just a high-quality music service with no DJs it would be perfect. As it is, SiriusXM is paid FM radio.

I also had the chance to tour the building many years ago. Their room filled with servers is quite impressive.

phunter1
02-04-13, 01:16 PM
If you think Bose is bad, try Alpine. My other car has an Alpine "Premium system" and it is vastly inferior to the Bose system in the SRX. I have upgraded some of the speakers in it and added a new sub-woofer. Alpine is a mere shadow of what it once was.

Phil

NJRonbo
02-04-13, 01:18 PM
Alpine is a mere shadow of what it once was.

Very disturbing to hear. Growing up in the 70's and 80's Alpine was considered the best car speakers you could buy.

Shame that name no longer means anything close to what it did.

doug goldberg
02-04-13, 01:58 PM
I wish that CUE would allow the playback of FLAC on other high quality CODEC's. Does anyone know if what the max bitrate / bit depth that wav files are supported?

jeffpaletz
02-05-13, 10:30 PM
I have used wav files created from CDs and they work and sound fine. Album artwork will display from Wav files if present.

excelon72
09-07-13, 01:25 AM
From my 15 years in the auto business to over 20 as a die hard audiophile I assure you tht the Bose and alpine systems are not even close to being either. They are designed at a manufacturer specified price point using materials substandard to actual Bose and alpine . I have a set if 900.00 alpine car speakers , that cost more than my nav and Bose upgrade. And sound like it too. I find the Bose 10 speaker system to be surprisingly good for a factory system . I am however ripping it out in favor of an all JL Audio add on to the CUE system which I love. My 2013 srx has impressed me in many ways but the Bose speaker system while better than most is no match for even an entry level aftermarket system.

hdrolling
09-18-13, 10:59 AM
Our Bose system sounds okay but I didn't know they had a sub? We have the rear headrest Blu-ray screens that pop up in the rear and NAV so I would assume we have the upgraded sound system. I have adjusted everything to try to get a little more bass but just sounds like normal speaker small bass. Our last car (Acura MDX) defiantly had a small sub and sounded great, My GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW has a little to much bass but that's because the factory sub is in the center console between the driver and passenger. I'll have to go back and see if I can locate the sub, anyone have an idea where it is located in the rear ie what side?

phunter1
09-18-13, 01:03 PM
Here a link to a thread on speaker location. The 8" sub is in floor just behind the back seat.

Phil

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/269742-where-speakers.html

dmurphy
09-18-13, 01:30 PM
Related (but not quite the same) question .... Above the front doors, there appears to be a speaker grill behind the "oh sh!t" handle.

Any idea what that is? Is it part of the active noise cancellation system? I have a '13 Lux non-Nav (so only the 8-speaker system.)

hdrolling
09-18-13, 07:03 PM
Related (but not quite the same) question .... Above the front doors, there appears to be a speaker grill behind the "oh sh!t" handle.

Any idea what that is? Is it part of the active noise cancellation system? I have a '13 Lux non-Nav (so only the 8-speaker system.)

I believe that is the thermometer for the auto air/heat?

----------

Here a link to a thread on speaker location. The 8" sub is in floor just behind the back seat.

Phil

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/269742-where-speakers.html

Okay, just went to verify that we have it and its there. Just not very loud compared to the rest of the speakers, not that we need a bass machine but is doesn't sound like its more than a 6" sub if that. Might have to test the connections, maybe they have the polarity wrong?
Thanks for the link!

phunter1
09-18-13, 09:52 PM
Have you got the bass turned up on the equalizer in your head unit? I turned the bass all the way up in my equalizer and it made a huge difference. Actually sounds pretty good for a stock factory set up. Of course mine is a 2012, not a 2013 ,so I don't have the CUE system.

Phil

rpottsl
09-24-13, 09:49 PM
ok, I know nothing technical about electronics. I'm assuming since I have an AWD premium mine has the 10 speaker 5.1 but it sucks! There's no distortion, but it definitely isn't going to make me go deaf or give me a back massage with pounding base. Is there something wrong with it, would i get an error code if there were? I've never thought to address it at the dealership or listened to one in another of the same model...

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-24-13, 10:43 PM
ok, I know nothing technical about electronics. I'm assuming since I have an AWD premium mine has the 10 speaker 5.1 but it sucks! There's no distortion, but it definitely isn't going to make me go deaf or give me a back massage with pounding base. Is there something wrong with it, would i get an error code if there were? I've never thought to address it at the dealership or listened to one in another of the same model...
Hello rpottsl,

I am sorry that you are unsatisfied with the sound coming from your speakers. I would be more than happy to set up an appointment for you with a dealership to see if they are operating correctly. Please private message me if you would like to further discuss your concern. I can also check to see if you have the 10 speaker 5.1 if you were to provide me with your VIN. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

NJRonbo
09-25-13, 06:54 AM
I can't say whether there is something wrong with the speakers in your vehicle.

I am guessing there isn't.

I just don't think, bass wise, the stereo system in the Cadillac is any good. Hence, the reason why I went out and bought a larger subwoofer.

pissedoffwookiee
11-05-13, 06:17 AM
as an audio enthusiast (not quite audiophile....I don't have the golden ears that can hear the difference between lamp cord and thousand dollar speaker wire) I concur the sub in the SRX 10 speaker surround is a bit lacking, since this is my wife's car it'll do but my ATS surround system is much better. Bose is a favorite whipping boy of a lot of people, they've been an incredible force in audio and deserve their status as a premium brand. that said they do deserve a lot of the criticism they receive because they have leveraged their name to push overpriced and overly limited products on unsuspecting buyers, and they certainly could do better in cars, I'd rate them a B-. that grade is a little frustrating considering they have the best mini Bluetooth speaker (better than jam box) fantastic noise canceling headphones, and having owned a pair of 901's great classic speakers. I suspect cadillac is locked into bose because of the noise canceling they're putting into the cars..

as an FYI I base my view of the audio of these systems from my home system 60" panny plasma (calibrated), ps3 (reference quality cd, DVD, blue-ray, USB playback) Sony ES av receiver (calibrated) and Martin Logan speakers and sub...... and in comparison the ATS and SRX Bose systems exhibit a weakness in the midbass the ATS is just a little weak, but the SRX bottoms out on the midbass and distorts slightly, what's weird is they then wake up again as the notes get lower into true bass. this leads me to believe the handoff from mids to lows is the problem maybe the way they are crossed over.

dmurphy
11-05-13, 11:29 AM
I don't blame the Bose system, necessarily, but the particular setup in the SRX is a bit underwhelming.

My wife's '08 GMC Acadia also has a Bose sound system, and it is SIGNIFICANTLY better. Very rich, full sound. I enjoy it much more. Granted, the Acadia also has a bunch more cabin room to create some better acoustics. :)

'12CTSman
11-05-13, 12:21 PM
The '13 10 speaker is not 5.1. It is Centerpoint Surround, which takes 2.0 stereo and coverts to faux 5.1. Don't blame the Bose speakers, it's the amp that is sub-par, along with the Bose software. The Bose 5.1 in my '12 CTS premium was much better. However, the Acura ELS systems are superior to Bose.

pissedoffwookiee
11-05-13, 05:56 PM
The '13 10 speaker is not 5.1. It is Centerpoint Surround, which takes 2.0 stereo and coverts to faux 5.1. Don't blame the Bose speakers, it's the amp that is sub-par, along with the Bose software. The Bose 5.1 in my '12 CTS premium was much better. However, the Acura ELS systems are superior to Bose.

i don't know what '13 SRX you have but my '13 SRX has a 5th(5.X) channel on the dash and subwoofer (X.1) which qualifies it as a 5.1 system in my book. you are correct when you say the Bose processor can simulate surround, but if given a surround source (rear entertainment dvd, dvd-a in pre-CUE SRX) you have true surround sound.

'12CTSman
11-05-13, 06:47 PM
i don't know what '13 SRX you have but my '13 SRX has a 5th(5.X) channel on the dash and subwoofer (X.1) which qualifies it as a 5.1 system in my book. you are correct when you say the Bose processor can simulate surround, but if given a surround source (rear entertainment dvd, dvd-a in pre-CUE SRX) you have true surround sound.

I think I know what you are saying, but having a center speaker does not mean it's a 5.1 system. The Monsoon systems in my Pontiacs had a center speaker, but they were all stereo only. No RES for me in my SRX, so I can't speak if they process discrete 5.1 or not. All I know my system will not play DVD-A discs, or DTS, but will play Surround Sound CDs, albeit faux 5.1. I have demo discs for all three formats. The system will play Surround Sound CDs and will reproduce left, right and center, but will not process the surround sound from the rear speakers. The DVD-A and DTS discs simply try to read and then the system ejects the discs.

pissedoffwookiee
11-05-13, 07:24 PM
Native CD audio is stereo only, you can get around this by not using the native lossless cd codec and switching to AC3 or DTS. But now you need a player that can decode those codecs and peel off the discreet channels that were crammed into 2 I don't have that info but if you have surround cd's that is not SACD or DVD-A then they're most likely using an alternate codec and it sounds like CUE is not able to decide it properly it is possible that the Bose processor saw something and created the front separation

hdrolling
11-07-13, 01:56 PM
I think I know what you are saying, but having a center speaker does not mean it's a 5.1 system. The Monsoon systems in my Pontiacs had a center speaker, but they were all stereo only. No RES for me in my SRX, so I can't speak if they process discrete 5.1 or not. All I know my system will not play DVD-A discs, or DTS, but will play Surround Sound CDs, albeit faux 5.1. I have demo discs for all three formats. The system will play Surround Sound CDs and will reproduce left, right and center, but will not process the surround sound from the rear speakers. The DVD-A and DTS discs simply try to read and then the system ejects the discs. So when my kids watch movies in the rear blue-ray players built into the seats and I hear the surround coming over the speakers that's not 5.1 surround? If not it sounds pretty good to me, except the weak sub woofer.

pissedoffwookiee
11-07-13, 03:15 PM
So when my kids watch movies in the rear blue-ray players built into the seats and I hear the surround coming over the speakers that's not 5.1 surround? If not it sounds pretty good to me, except the weak sub woofer.

that's what i was saying, the stereo can do both, depending on the source, movies on disc really do have surround and the car does this just fine, most music on the other hand is stereo and the radio has the ability to turn it into a simulated surround using Bose's centerpoint digital signal processing

'12CTSman
11-08-13, 10:57 PM
I think I know what you are saying, but having a center speaker does not mean it's a 5.1 system. The Monsoon systems in my Pontiacs had a center speaker, but they were all stereo only. No RES for me in my SRX, so I can't speak if they process discrete 5.1 or not. All I know my system will not play DVD-A discs, or DTS, but will play Surround Sound CDs, albeit faux 5.1. I have demo discs for all three formats. The system will play Surround Sound CDs and will reproduce left, right and center, but will not process the surround sound from the rear speakers. The DVD-A and DTS discs simply try to read and then the system ejects the discs. So when my kids watch movies in the rear blue-ray players built into the seats and I hear the surround coming over the speakers that's not 5.1 surround? If not it sounds pretty good to me, except the weak sub woofer.

The RES (Rear Entertainment System) may well be true surround, but since I don't have the system I can't comment.