: It happened again!!

PGA2B
01-23-13, 11:39 PM
Driving home tonight and POOF!! P0420 now remember I got the car back 1 week ago Monday from replacing the other one for P0430........ What a PITA!! Gonna call Kachina tomorrow morning and see if I am going to have to take it in for them to read the code. I sure hope not cause its an hour there and and hour back. What really sucks is that I was going to have my emissions check done Friday.

leija_01
01-23-13, 11:58 PM
Your car is just as unpredictable as your hometown, huh? full of surprises... :) Hope its a quick, easy fix jamie!

PGA2B
01-24-13, 12:06 AM
Your so funny....... At least its under the Emissions Warranty.

torched10
01-24-13, 11:16 AM
i have onstar and they can read a codde for you--also AAMCO does it for free if thheyre nearby

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-24-13, 01:04 PM
PGA2B, don't hesitate to send me a private message if you would like me to contact your dealer on your behalf at any point. I'm always happy to follow up with them regarding your concerns!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

carter's_sts
01-24-13, 04:24 PM
My scan tool was only 50 bucks from eBay.

i have onstar and they can read a codde for you--also AAMCO does it for free if thheyre nearby

PGA2B
01-24-13, 08:17 PM
PGA2B, don't hesitate to send me a private message if you would like me to contact your dealer on your behalf at any point. I'm always happy to follow up with them regarding your concerns!

Best,

Katie

Thanks Katie but I have a very good relationship with Dan Boardman at Kachina. So no issues there.

----------

I have HP Tuners Pro so I pull my own codes. They just need to document the code for Emissions Warranty purposes to get paid by GM for the work.

kbf250
01-25-13, 05:38 PM
Yea, I,m still waiting for mine. Had same P0420 and when I went in the Tech made an issue
about my Spectre Intake. My service advisor said no problem. I have been waiting a week now, maybe they will
get new manifold next week. PGA2B, have you ever considered poly-urethane differential bushing? Found a place that sells
them and might change mine out.

Kirk

PGA2B
01-25-13, 06:41 PM
Mine got replaced under warranty back last July. If I have the car next time it needs to be replaced I will go that route. There is also a company making Upper and Lower front control arm bushings and Upper and Lower rears for ours and should be ready in late March or early April. Mine are squeeking like a hoopty.

My manifold is on order and will be here 1-2 weeks. Has to come direct from GM but it is in stock.

Carlosg
01-26-13, 10:07 AM
How do you know if you need the bushings.

PGA2B
01-26-13, 11:44 AM
If your diff bushing is bad you will feel vibration in the driveshaft that will cause you to feel it in your seat. As for Control arms you will hear it squeek going over bumps and when you stop.

Carlosg
01-26-13, 12:48 PM
I have the squeak over the bump,let's me know when they are ready. I will buy them. Thank.

kbf250
02-15-13, 10:05 PM
PGA2B, Just curious if you got your manifold yet.
I have been waiting one month now. The dealer
said they had to order direct from the manufacturer.
I think 4 weeks is a little bit long to wait on a part that
is under federal emissions warranty.

PGA2B
02-15-13, 11:50 PM
I haven't yet. But to be honest I haven't checked on it either.

Martyn
02-16-13, 12:13 AM
I had to wait 2 weeks for hood rods and almost a month for a damn coolant hose!

AriGold.
02-17-13, 12:51 AM
My car is still at the dealer from the 10th of January. They "Think" the catalytic converter will be in by the end of March.

carter's_sts
02-17-13, 01:45 AM
Damn. Can't be driven in the mean time? Maybe you should try to locate one for them.

torched10
02-17-13, 04:38 PM
thought you were selling the car

AriGold.
02-18-13, 07:27 PM
I had planned to sell it and buy a new V but I think I may end up keeping it. As for driving it no. Its failed that bad.

kbf250
02-18-13, 08:50 PM
Arigold,
what do you mean its failed that bad.
I drive mine with a bad cat and find no problems with it.

YoungBlood_STSV
02-19-13, 01:24 PM
Agreed. I had a cat fail and once the dealership diagnosed it and ordered the part they told me to come pick up the car. Why wait 6 weeks (which is absurd, I got the part in 11 days) with your car sitting in a parking lot when nothing is mechanically wrong with it. To hell with mother nature, she can suck on your extra NOx gases until the part is delivered.

Ludacrisvp
02-24-13, 03:39 PM
if its bad enough to cause misfiring I wouldn't drive it. (assuming 'clogged' cat)

After looking up the DTCs it states:
Important: A new converter with less than 100 miles on it may set DTC P0420 or P0430 due to out-gassing of the internal matting.
Operating the vehicle at highway speeds for approximately 1 hour may correct the condition.

It also mentions this:

Repair Verification

1. Clear all DTCs.
2. Allow the engine coolant temperature to reach 70C (156F).
- Place the gear selector in Park, Neutral for manual.
- Set the parking brake.
3. Press and hold the service brake.
4. Run the engine for 6 minutes at 2,500 RPM.
5. Allow engine speed to return to idle speed, then place gear selector into Drive, or apply clutch pedal for manual.
6. After 2 minutes, verify that DTC P0420 or P0430 have passed or failed this ignition cycle.
If not passed or failed this ignition cycle, the test aborted resulting in an inconclusive test result. The above test may need to be repeated up to 5 more times during this drive cycle.
The first test should be run after the initial warm up period of 6 minutes. Between subsequent tests, maintain 2,500 RPM for 2 minutes.
7. If 6 tests have been attempted and the DTC has not run or passed during this key cycle, turn the key to OFF for 30 seconds, then run the procedure a second time.

PGA2B
03-15-13, 05:57 PM
Just got back from Kachina with a new Passenger side Cat and Manifold. So those of you waiting for one should get it soon!

Now I have to adjust the MAF table AGAIN............ The bad cat was causing a false lean condition. Good thing it was actually rich....

AriGold.
03-17-13, 05:49 AM
Just got back from Kachina with a new Passenger side Cat and Manifold. So those of you waiting for one should get it soon!

Now I have to adjust the MAF table AGAIN............ The bad cat was causing a false lean condition. Good thing it was actually rich....

As did I.. My car feels like something iv never driven. Now I'm just waiting on them to finish the body work they messed up on.

kbf250
03-17-13, 05:47 PM
Got my drivers side done. It took dealer 2 days to change it.

AriGold.
03-17-13, 07:00 PM
Got my drivers side done. It took dealer 2 days to change it.

My part came in on the truck that morning with the "overnight" shipment. They had it on in less then 6 hours. Good work but they didnt need to rush. lol

TimmyC
03-17-13, 10:42 PM
Sounds like you guys need some headers.

kbf250
03-17-13, 10:51 PM
Yea, that is what I told the dealer. Can high efficiency cats be adapted
to your headers. I live in a lifetime smog state unfortunately. Let me know.

TimmyC
03-17-13, 11:02 PM
You can have them added to the exhaust right after the headers.

AriGold.
03-18-13, 12:07 AM
Sounds like you guys need some headers.

Pmd you

TimmyC
03-18-13, 01:33 AM
Pmd you

I don't see anything in my PMs. Try email. t_coel@yahoo.com

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-18-13, 03:29 PM
AriGold, thanks for keeping us updated on your progress! If you would like me to investigate any lingering concerns further, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie

PSRmark
03-18-13, 08:16 PM
ah ha! PGA2B aka Jaime, I thought I recognized your screen name. Im glad we were able to get both cats done for you. hopefully all is well with the car now.

As far as headers w/ cats, we made a few runs with cats intergrated into the headers when I was at D3...might want to see if they are still doing them. If i remember correctly, they are a direct fit replacement.

PGA2B
03-18-13, 11:32 PM
Yep you got me! Its running great! Had a little tuning to do and shes running like a top now and my idle issue is gone. I figured it was related to the cats and now I am sure of it.