: Cue and deleting XM

Mike Grasso
01-23-13, 09:39 PM
I'm sure some of you enjoy XM rafio, I'm not a fan.

In a month my XM is up.

Is there a way to remove it from the list so I don't cycle through it or see it anymore?

Mike

codeman71
01-24-13, 09:55 AM
No there isn't...you need to be able to get to XM channel 0 if you ever wanted to reactivate your XM subscription since that's where your radio ID is displayed. But if you use favorites for your favorite AM or FM radio stations, you shouldn't ever have to use the Radio button on the screen to have to toggle over XM.

bungee91
01-24-13, 02:37 PM
If you're putting the option to disable/enable sources under the media options, why couldn't this also be implemented for the radio button also?
I foresee a LOT of people that won't pay for XM after the subscription expires, I plan on doing the same.
In that way if a user didn't want XM, he/she then disables it, and even in the future if they wanted it back they would merely re-enable that radio choice?

codeman71
01-24-13, 02:56 PM
We're not adding an option to enable or disable audio sources, but just rather in the future we will skip sources that aren't connected. I can see what you're saying, though...

bungee91
01-24-13, 03:14 PM
We're not adding an option to enable or disable audio sources, but just rather in the future we will skip sources that aren't connected. I can see what you're saying, though...
However in this case it'd never skip XM because channel 0 will still appear.

------------------------------------------------

How about a middle ground then with a "press and hold" and then that pops up a list of options to choose from?
Toggling to get to the 4th source when 4 things are connected (example: SD Card, USB, CD, and Bluetooth streaming) is a giant distraction while driving.
To press and hold the button and then select SD card, or USB, would be much more intuitive IMHO... Thoughts?
I shouldn't have to make favorites to get direct access to what I'm trying to access.

codeman71
01-24-13, 03:25 PM
Right, I was only talking about the Media button. The Radio one would remain the same - AM/FM/XM.

I was just trying to say that typically, once you get your favorites set up for radio stations, having your favorite AM and FM stations saved there, you really don't even need to use the Radio button to switch bands as that happens automatically when you select the Favorite you want to listen to.

But for media devices, yes it can get to be a few presses if you've got a lot connected like you're saying. One of our earlier designs did have a list that you could choose from, but we decided to go for the single button approach due to not having to move or refocus your attention between steps (pressing a single button multiple times vs having to reposition and select a new target). There are definitely plusses and minuses to both approaches.

bungee91
01-25-13, 08:50 AM
One of our earlier designs did have a list that you could choose from, but we decided to go for the single button approach due to not having to move or refocus your attention between steps (pressing a single button multiple times vs having to reposition and select a new target). There are definitely plusses and minuses to both approaches.

So then instead of 1 way to access sources how about 2?.. It seems to me that Cue tries to be designed in a way that forces the user to deal with it's design instead of being flexible and therefore appeal to many different peoples preferences.
Is there no hope for an optional press and hold for media sources, therefore I could select which one I want?

If I were to seriously map everything that I'd like direct access to onto the favorite buttons I'd have over 5 at least, and at that point I'd need to display 3 rows of favorites (cause remember I can't display only 2), and therefore there'd be so little room on the screen for other things it'd then be pointless.
I know I sound like I'm overly criticizing Cue, but seriously I believe the team just doesn't understand or care what people have to say on a design perspective. You do remember that we're the ones buying your product, right?

By having alternate options (like a press and hold for media sources) you appeal to the people who want more choices and yet still can press the button multiple times for people who'd prefer it that way... Get it, it's called options, and also would be faster to choose a source, which would then be safer (less time focusing on touching a button (possibly) 4 times.

codeman71
01-25-13, 09:11 AM
Hi Bungee,

I'm sorry if I have made you upset, that's not my goal. If I didn't care about your opinion, I wouldn't be on this forum trying to gather feedback from our customers. We also performed lots of customer research before we even started designing CUE as well as performed testing with real customers during its development. We are always looking at ways to improve, and I appreciate your suggestion. When we revisit source changing (which we do periodically) I will bring up your suggestion because I do think it is a nice alternative.

Again, sorry if I gave the impression that I don't care. I was only trying to give you a little bit of background on why we chose the direction we did.

-Cody

Mike Grasso
01-25-13, 07:59 PM
Cody,

I for one like many, even Bungee91, appreciate the work you did and continue to do to make driving this car fantastic.
There will always be suggestions and "better" ideas, I do like that fact that you're willing to bring them up.
I'm looking forward to this update and future ones.

Mike

bungee91
01-28-13, 12:57 PM
I do appreciate the feedback, and also any help that Cody brings to the forum.
I look forward to updates, but at the same time I grow tired of a less than stellar experience of a released product.