: Need help with TPMS Sensors!

tomm
01-23-13, 03:23 PM
My 3yr old was helping me put air in one of my tires when he pushed down too hard on an angle and snapped the value on the TPMS sensor. Pin popped out and instant flat tire. Went online and purchased a replacement sensor (Redi-Sensor SE10001) for $30 shipped. Shows its compatible on the manufactures website and its a 315/314.9 MHz sensor which matches what is needed for the STS.

Took the wheel and sensor to local tire shop to replace the sensor. They installed new sensor in the wheel and I went back home to program and this damn thing will not program. Go into program mode and start with LF tire and get the horn honk, Go to the RF tire (The tire with new sensor) and I can bring it down to flat and no honk.

On the manufacture site it says that some tires might need scan tool to program. I really dread going to the dealer and getting raped trying to get them to reprogram this sensor. Is there anything else I can do?

BaTu
01-23-13, 04:33 PM
Did you read this thread -> http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/278442-tpms-part.html

Also, shouldn't the tire shop you used be able to help you? Don't they have that equipment? (you supplied the sensor so, sure, they're gonna charge you but, can't be as bad as the dealer ;) )

tomm
01-23-13, 04:43 PM
Did you read this thread -> http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/278442-tpms-part.html

Also, shouldn't the tire shop you used be able to help you? Don't they have that equipment? (you supplied the sensor so, sure, they're gonna charge you but, can't be as bad as the dealer ;) )

I am sure they would have looked into it if I had the vehicle with me. Only brought them the tire and the sensor to install.

EChas3
01-23-13, 10:48 PM
There is that part about driving the car for a while before attempting to sync the sensors. Did you try that?

Good luck!

curtc
01-23-13, 11:09 PM
There is that part about driving the car for a while before attempting to sync the sensors. Did you try that?

Good luck!

Yeah, it has to sense that it's there....or not there in my case. My winters don't have TPMS installed, sometimes it thinks it's reading a low tire or two and sets the low pressure light...15 minutes later, the false reading and idiot light are gone.

dkozloski
01-24-13, 07:18 PM
I bought my own Kent-Moore J46079 TPMS test set. It was about $250 on Ebay. In old backwoods Fairbanks, Alaska even the dirt floor "Cooter's Garage" tire shops can reset your TPMS sensors for you.

----------

It's amazing the number of people who think they made a killing on a used Cadillac only to find out that they are now paying for parts and service on a problematic $60,000 car. Used car prices on old Caddies are in the tank for a reason. The parts prices and service are still up there as if it were new. Get to know your local junkyards very well. If you own an older high milage Caddy you better be either an ace mechanic, have an extended warranty or have boatloads of cash.

EChas3
01-24-13, 10:50 PM
^^^ They can still be a good value. Enjoy!

dkozloski
01-24-13, 11:24 PM
If you're not in a position to walk away from your hoopty it's not for you.

EChas3
01-24-13, 11:53 PM
I've had a few in the past, but hopefully, hoopty days are behind me. May yours be, too!

tomm
01-25-13, 12:32 PM
I bought my own Kent-Moore J46079 TPMS test set. It was about $250 on Ebay. In old backwoods Fairbanks, Alaska even the dirt floor "Cooter's Garage" tire shops can reset your TPMS sensors for you.

----------

It's amazing the number of people who think they made a killing on a used Cadillac only to find out that they are now paying for parts and service on a problematic $60,000 car. Used car prices on old Caddies are in the tank for a reason. The parts prices and service are still up there as if it were new. Get to know your local junkyards very well. If you own an older high milage Caddy you better be either an ace mechanic, have an extended warranty or have boatloads of cash.

Just bought one of these (https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=5677) and will wait a week for it to come and hopefully it will work so I don't have to waste time going to the dealer.

Greg00coupe
01-26-13, 08:58 PM
I've replaced one at NTW tires. They said we do this all the time and it's a crap shoot especially on some foreign cars. They got some aftermarket brand which lasted maybe 4 months. Took it back under warranty and they tried 2 other brands and could not get them to program. They went to the cadi dealer and got an OEM and all is well.

tomm
01-29-13, 03:48 PM
Just bought one of these (https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=5677) and will wait a week for it to come and hopefully it will work so I don't have to waste time going to the dealer.

FYI - Used the Activator I purchased for $67 and all worked perfect and all are programmed again. Worth every penny to not sit there and inflate and deflate all the time when rotating or replacing sensors.

EChas3
01-29-13, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the report. I oughta pick one up as well.

I hope all is well for you and yours. Last time, it sounded like you were still bailing (figuratively speaking)! I'm glad your schedule allows some time to 'reconnect'.