: DAY TIME Running light issue HELP!!!

Zzapp
01-23-13, 11:14 AM
One of the little bulls eye daytime running lights in the lower inside corner of the head light assembly has burned out. I have a repair manual however the light is not referenced. It appears I may have to remove the headlight cluster just to get to it.

Has anybody replaced this light? Is it a special light? I don't wanna take my car apart to fine out the light is special order. Any help? part number? anything???? :hmm:

06 STS Rob
01-23-13, 11:42 AM
You can get to the light assembly from the back... Turn the wheel all the way to one side and remove the lower skirting (plastic covers) from under the front end. You may need to remove a few clips on from the inner fender as well in order to open it up enough to access the light housing. Pull the bulb from the back of the housing and replace it. I did this to replace my driving lights on my 06 standard STS.
Sorry I can't help with part numbers...I'm sure they're just regular bulbs though...

CMNTMXR57
01-23-13, 12:26 PM
Just to clarify, what you're referring to is the little bullet style light in the bottom corner of our headlights, correct?

This is called a Nacele light by GM if I recall. It's sorta like a parking light/marker light, not the true DRL (as that's the amber turn signal below that stays on in DRL mode). I believe it's just a 194 bulb.

06 STS Rob
01-23-13, 01:23 PM
Oh Crap... Your right ^^^ I read daytime running light and thought "day time running light"... Yep. that one you have to remove the headlight assembly, and to do that you have to remove the front facia...
O.P. you may try taping on the light assembly before you go through with replacing it, my 06 lights would not come on about 50% of the time until I gave them a good tap with the palm of my had. This is a common problem from what I've read on the forum.

1madstsv
01-23-13, 03:47 PM
I fixed mine it took 1hr to do so I just unplugged the other one never need to do that again. They look bad any way.

CMNTMXR57
01-23-13, 04:27 PM
I kinda like them. I wish they were LED though (to keep up with the Jonses in the luxury car world).

But, yea, a PITA to replace. The front fascia/bumper cover has to come off (or at least loosened enough to allow removal of the headlight assembly). It will require loosening of the plastic shroud in the wheel well housing, and then be careful as you pull the fascia/bumper cover off as your headlight washer nozzles and plumbing are also still attached.

It might be worth waiting until you have a couple other bulbs to replace. :D I went through all this fun when I did some 6,000k bulbs.

Zzapp
01-23-13, 08:07 PM
Wow thanks for the input... I really don't wanna take off all that stuff to replace one light. CMNTMXR57 you used a 6,000k bulb? so its a bulb I can get and any auto parts store? And yes its the little bullet light in side the head light cluster... lower inner corner...

PNBLWZD
01-23-13, 10:27 PM
Do a search for "Peanut Light", that's what I've seen it called quite often.

Zzapp
01-24-13, 02:21 PM
Looking at other STS's I'v noticed that light seems to be on the STS-v Only... and not on the standard STS... I'm kinda anal about lights and want them all to work I just didn't realize changing a light bulb could be such a big project...

1BadCadSTS
01-24-13, 04:56 PM
Wrong. Same headlamps. We have them too and i put less in mine.

Ludacrisvp
01-24-13, 05:14 PM
Yeah, we all have them. Go LED and be done with them for good.

Zzapp
01-25-13, 01:54 PM
LED? got a special design LED? I have used several LEDs on other Vehicles and I've noted several shape, size, and design differences. Because of the differences there are fitment issues with some size/designs. Do you have a part number? I wanna have the part first, before I continue.