: 1975 deVille Climate Control problem

shwhitley
01-22-13, 07:37 PM
After driving my deVille a few days, I turned it to economy the other day, started hearing a crackle then smelled what sounded like wire burning so I shut the unit off. Now everytime I turn the system on, nothing...no blower, nada. I'm hoping it's a short...or a fuse...any suggestion of what I should look for first?

77CDV
01-22-13, 10:31 PM
Fried blower relay. On the same accessory relay block with the illuminated entry relay next to the main fuse block up under the IP over the driver's foot well. Check your owners manual for exact placement in the array.

shwhitley
01-23-13, 10:12 AM
Thank you so much! I will check that out!

shwhitley
08-29-13, 11:10 AM
Finally got it all fixed. Needed new blower motor control head and relay. Now it's working the way it's supposed to. Very glad!

shwhitley
09-12-13, 11:52 AM
I spoke too soon...just had to purchase a programmer to go with the new climate control system so the fan would work. Just ordered it from Lord of Cadi...hope it works...

on that subject, I have a used control head and will soon have a used programmer...anyone know who might restore these who would want to take them off my hands? I hate to let them go to waste (plus I could use the money lol!)

77CDV
09-12-13, 11:27 PM
Restorers are listed in Hemmings. Don't know if they buy cores to keep, but you can always ask.

shwhitley
09-21-13, 07:31 PM
Actually I need to find someone who can restore it so I can use it. When I put the programmer on it blew a wire (so my mechanic said) and now the controller isn't working. What should I be looking for to fix this bad boy once and for all?

77CDV
09-21-13, 10:15 PM
You mean the new replacement programmer shorted out? Sounds like an overvoltage problem. Those are a bitch to trace down.

shwhitley
09-22-13, 07:10 PM
yeah, the replacement shorted out...don't know where to go next :(

77CDV
09-25-13, 03:27 PM
I'd find myself an AC shop that works on older cars and has experience with the Cadillac Climate Control system.

70eldo
09-26-13, 11:26 AM
Cadillactim.com restores stuff like that

shwhitley
10-16-13, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info everyone...it's still an ongoing issue with the AC system. Sometimes it blows, sometimes not, now sometimes the cold air will blow from the floor vents instead of the dash. Even with the new programmer. I'm just about to the point where I'm going to take it to somewhere that does this sort of thing and say fix it!! I will check out the place you suggested to have what I have already purchased restored. Luckily, though, the weather turned cooler today so the immediacy of AC has diminished a bit! lol I will keep you posted!

----------

You mean the new replacement programmer shorted out? Sounds like an overvoltage problem. Those are a bitch to trace down. yeah the mechanic working on it thinks he's found the short, but while he was finding the short, it must have messed up the "new" parts I bought. Anyone know of a good AC mechanic in the Dallas/East TExas area?