: Brake upgrade

rleblanc
01-21-13, 10:21 PM
I'm looking to upgrade/replace my brakes but not sure which brand. It does not appear that Brembo makes anything that fits my 05 STS (V6). That being said, EBC? Hawk? I recently drove a 2013 CTS-V with Brembos....incredible. Any suggestions to make my STS stop like that? Thanks!! Ray

orange57
01-21-13, 10:30 PM
You probably won't find anything that will make the STS stop like a CTS-V. As you said, that had brembos. And I bet it weighs quite a bit less. As far as upgrades, do you track your car? Or just street driving. OEM will more than likely be adequate for any road driving. I would be it's probably descent for light track, but I don't think the STS is much of a track car due to size and weight. I would check out Rock Auto, they have good prices on pads and rotors. On another note, on my wifes Saturn Vue, I replaced the front brakes right after we got it with Autozone Duralast Gold Max pads and rotors. Pads lasted about 65k on the car, and had a lifetime warranty, so with machining the rotors or replacing them I got new pads for free.

I may go that route when I need to do the brakes on the STS just for the ease of returns. And I plan on keeping the car for quite a while.

Ludacrisvp
01-21-13, 10:39 PM
You could do the upgrade of your brakes to either the JE5 or the J56? package ... JE5 is common on the 4.6 1SG package and provides better braking performance than what your V6 likely has. the other one is the brake kit from the STS-V (also uses Brembo brakes, granted they are still smaller than the CTS-V brembos and will require you to change out some parts to make it work like going to 6 lug wheels ...

EChas3
01-21-13, 10:50 PM
Many members report satisfaction with Hawks. Some like ceramics for reduced brake dust but personally, I perfer the OEM-style semi-metallic pads. Do you have JE5 (17" Performance) or JL9 (Standard)?

rleblanc
01-21-13, 11:02 PM
Je5.

kschwed
01-22-13, 11:06 AM
I went with the dimple drilled and slotted rotors and standard semi-metallic brakes from brakeperformance.com. Installed without a hitched. They have the strongest stopping power I've ever experienced in a car. I checked them this weekend, after having them on for about 6 months / 7000 miles, and the pads still look almost new.

Did I mention they were made in America?

ajmasala
01-22-13, 11:52 AM
I replaced my original brakes with "slotted and dimpled rotors" + "semi-metallic pads" from brakeperformance, after reading about them on this forum and others. They definitely feel better in terms of stopping power and pedal feel, but that could just be all in my head :) No squeals or "grabbing".

r1concepts
01-22-13, 01:25 PM
Feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to help you out with new brakes!

scott9001
01-22-13, 03:26 PM
iv been doing some reaserch on a brembo setup for the sts just havent got the funds to buy stuff to try it out currently, being in school is hard on the pocket book

EChas3
01-22-13, 07:44 PM
With JE5, I don't think it's worth upgrading. My wife's JL9's are a bit wimpy. For a road car, rotors with slots & dimples, etc. are more for show than any real improvement in stopping power.

But opinions vary. It's your car. Enjoy!

----------

If all you need is pads right now, I'd be real tempted to slap on a set of semi-metallic Hawks and revisit the topic next Summer.

rleblanc
01-22-13, 11:40 PM
I don't need anything right now....just researching so I can see my options and save up whatever $$$ I need. I've looked at a couple other forums and been on the web...I'm thinking EBC Sport rotors paired with Hawk HPS pads at this point. In the interest of saving money, though, I'll probably just do the Hawk pads before the rotors need replacing and see how that goes for now. Thanks for all the input...I"ll keep looking.

----------

I did notice, though, that although the CTS-V had the nice Brembos, the rotors were solid and not slotted or drilled. And it STILL stopped like I tossed out an anchor, so I tend to agree that the slots and holes are for show. The Hawks are about $60/pr....the rotors will add me another $700 for front and rear. Steep price for an 8 year old car that only sees "spirited driving" and no track time. Maybe I'll put the extra $$$ I save in my CTS-V fund....haha!!! Thanks, again.

kschwed
01-24-13, 12:14 AM
With JE5, I don't think it's worth upgrading. My wife's JL9's are a bit wimpy. For a road car, rotors with slots & dimples, etc. are more for show than any real improvement in stopping power.

But opinions vary. It's your car. Enjoy!

----------

If all you need is pads right now, I'd be real tempted to slap on a set of semi-metallic Hawks and revisit the topic next Summer.

Slots are for keeping brake dust away from the rims. Dimples/holes are to help cool the rotors down (which is supposed to help prevent fade when doing many stops quickly). So in response to your response, you're partially correct as there is probably no real noticeable difference.

----------

I don't need anything right now....just researching so I can see my options and save up whatever $$$ I need. I've looked at a couple other forums and been on the web...I'm thinking EBC Sport rotors paired with Hawk HPS pads at this point. In the interest of saving money, though, I'll probably just do the Hawk pads before the rotors need replacing and see how that goes for now. Thanks for all the input...I"ll keep looking.

I did notice, though, that although the CTS-V had the nice Brembos, the rotors were solid and not slotted or drilled. And it STILL stopped like I tossed out an anchor, so I tend to agree that the slots and holes are for show. The Hawks are about $60/pr....the rotors will add me another $700 for front and rear. Steep price for an 8 year old car that only sees "spirited driving" and no track time. Maybe I'll put the extra $$$ I save in my CTS-V fund....haha!!! Thanks, again.

Don't put new rotors on with worn pads. If you put new pads on now, you'll have to replace them again when you get new rotors.

eatyoursandwich
01-24-13, 08:49 PM
I know there is the thread somewhere, but of course, I cannot find it.

Can someone please post the part numbers required to upgrade from JL9 to JE5?

IIRC, you need the caliper bracket in addition to a new caliper, rotor, etc. I'm just not sure if I have the right part# for the bracket and if I might be missing something.

TIA

scott9001
01-24-13, 09:52 PM
I went with the dimple drilled and slotted rotors and standard semi-metallic brakes from brakeperformance.com. Installed without a hitched. They have the strongest stopping power I've ever experienced in a car. I checked them this weekend, after having them on for about 6 months / 7000 miles, and the pads still look almost new.

Did I mention they were made in America?

so were you 100% convinced with brake performance no noises or anything.

Ludacrisvp
01-24-13, 10:07 PM
I know there is the thread somewhere, but of course, I cannot find it.

Can someone please post the part numbers required to upgrade from JL9 to JE5?

IIRC, you need the caliper bracket in addition to a new caliper, rotor, etc. I'm just not sure if I have the right part# for the bracket and if I might be missing something.

TIA

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271713

Itsquik did it back in October and listed what he changed to get the upgrade done.

ITSQUIK
01-24-13, 10:50 PM
Go to the dealer for the caliper brackets & save yourself some headache. Just ask for the JE5 caliper brackets. The calipers I bought at AutoZone. There listing asks JE5 or JL9 for the calipers & I used EBC SG2 Dimpled/Slotted Rotors with EBC Green pads. Ironically, today on the highway was the first ever panic situation since I did the conversion. They performed flawlessly. If I wasn't expecting it, I would've ate the steering wheel!!! Lol, stopped on a dime & picked up 9 cents change!!

----------

Go to the dealer for the caliper brackets & save yourself some headache. Just ask for the JE5 caliper brackets. The calipers I bought at AutoZone. There listing asks JE5 or JL9 for the calipers & I used EBC SG2 Dimpled/Slotted Rotors with EBC Green pads. Ironically, today on the highway was the first ever panic situation since I did the conversion. They performed flawlessly. If I wasn't expecting it, I would've ate the steering wheel!!! Lol, stopped on a dime & picked up 9 cents change!!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc129/02DSGHD/BCDC295A-4FD3-45C5-A494-C4D3A6B7D302-7235-00000BA7BEF18A54.jpg

Ludacrisvp
01-24-13, 11:13 PM
...Your ears must have been burning... I mention your name and the thread where you upgraded your brakes and moments later you're here. Lol.
So after the panic stop; was it worth it?
How different are the 2 calipers from each other? Is there a lot more brake pad surface area?

kschwed
01-24-13, 11:50 PM
so were you 100% convinced with brake performance no noises or anything.
I'm 100% convinced. They're quiet when I stop, no squeaks. However, they "click" when I drive. I've been told that drilled and slotted rotors do this as it is the sound of the pad going over the rotors. It's not that loud and I can only hear it when the window is down. They stop on a dime too (I have JE5).

I've already recommended them to another friend of mine and will probably be helping him with his install in the next couple weeks. I love to complain, but cannot find anything to complain about here.

ITSQUIK
01-25-13, 08:52 AM
Your ears must have been burning... I mention your name and the thread where you upgraded your brakes and moments later you're here. Lol.
So after the panic stop; was it worth it?
How different are the 2 calipers from each other? Is there a lot more brake pad surface area?

IMO, I would Definately say its worth it to do, it made a drastic improvement in my STS. The pad surface is not that much greater as it would be if I put V brakes on, but I already have my wheels & I wasn't about to have my wheels Filled & Re-Drilled for 6 lug. Lol, the main difference is the Rotor Diameter which of course helps with cooling.

Ludacrisvp
01-25-13, 04:24 PM
Well mine came with the middle of the 3 brake setups ... I would like to one day move to the V brakes, but until there is a method to keep my 5 lug setup that won't be something I will be doing. (most likely)

EChas3
01-25-13, 07:44 PM
I contend JL9 (base) to JE5 (Performance) upgrade makes a lot of sense. It's not hard to overdrive the JL9's. Many of the matching 17" Michelin's are inadequate as well. The next level requires the 6-lug rotors & wheels; not making sense to me for a road car.

But, opinions vary. A car should reflect the owners preference!