: AWD and Lowering

TrimThis
01-21-13, 06:02 PM
There have been posts that AWD guys are having trouble finding springs for their cars. This might help. Our cars have part #'s taped to the springs. Get the front and rear codes from the springs and Google Eaton Detroit Spring for their phone number. Tell them how low you want to go and have a set custom made. I have never dealt with them [running Eibachs on my RWD] or know what they might charge, but it looks like these guys could be your only hope at this time. Good Luck

bronik90
01-22-13, 11:23 AM
There have been posts that AWD guys are having trouble finding springs for their cars. This might help. Our cars have part #'s taped to the springs. Get the front and rear codes from the springs and Google Eaton Detroit Spring for their phone number. Tell them how low you want to go and have a set custom made. I have never dealt with them [running Eibachs on my RWD] or know what they might charge, but it looks like these guys could be your only hope at this time. Good Luck

Thanks! I'll definitely give these guys a try sometime this week.

It has been impossible to find AWD coupe springs, so every bit of information is greatly appreciated.

MD_Coupe
10-14-13, 01:36 PM
Has anyone tried this yet? I called Eibach and it seems they have scrapped the prototype and do not expect to release any kits for the AWD coupes :(.

JusJZ
10-14-13, 11:18 PM
Anyone found a good AWD exhaust? 2011 coupe?

mcneill8328
10-15-13, 09:20 AM
Anyone found a good AWD exhaust? 2011 coupe?

Why would you ask this question on a thread about lowering springs? There are tons a threads about exhaust systems. The search button is your friend.

C "T" ess
10-15-13, 10:52 AM
I would think the suspension geometry on the AWD model presents a different set of problems than on the RWD models. If it were me, I think I would be leery of trying to lower the AWD.

conedoctor
10-15-13, 11:56 AM
Is the suspension even different between the two?

The rear should be the same and the front they added hubs more or less, I am oversimplifying it of course.

MD_Coupe
10-15-13, 03:42 PM
Apparently yes, it is. I've been texting with the driveline engineer of the car and he states that there is indeed a difference b/n the front suspension of the AWD and RWD.

conedoctor
10-15-13, 05:01 PM
Apparently yes, it is. I've been texting with the driveline engineer of the car and he states that there is indeed a difference b/n the front suspension of the AWD and RWD.

I am sure there is a difference yes but I don't see why the AWD should play into the lowering issue, know what I mean?

Cougar281
10-22-13, 10:50 PM
Lower a CTS? Are you TRYING to bottom out on EVERYTHING? That are already super low to begin with...

conedoctor
10-23-13, 06:02 PM
Define everything?

MD_Coupe
10-23-13, 08:51 PM
Please post pics or links if these stock CTS you speak of that are so low. I know walking to my car in the garage from work every night I wonder to myself if GM had thought about off roading the CTS with how much clearance the car has.

Cougar281
10-25-13, 09:03 AM
The lowest point on my CTS4 is about 2.5" off the ground (the front air dam). I'm actually somewhat concerned that a few speed bumps back in NY where I'm from might actually contact the air dam. It DEFINITELY will hit virtually any curb or concrete stop. Along the side it goes from about 6.5" in the front to 7.5" in the back - not exactly a lifted rock crawler. My Cougar, by comparison, is a tad over 8" front to back. That COULD use about a 1.5" drop.

MD_Coupe
10-26-13, 01:47 PM
If by air damn you mean the rubber piece under the front bumper I wouldn't be too worried about contact as it is pliable. If your car is stock height I wouldn't worry about concrete stops either unless you are the type that really like to get up on top of them. The rubber piece is far enough back to where any prudent parker wouldn't hit it and the bumper itself is high enough to where it will clear the top of the stop. Now if you are traversing curbs for some odd reason I have no comment. Coming from the world of sports cars 7.5" of clearance is about enough to categorize it as a baby rock crawler. If you are walking to your car on a flat plane and can see day light on the other side of the vehicle from 20 yards out...it's too damn high!