: A lot of questions

9-5lover
01-20-13, 10:04 PM
I'm considering buying a new front wheel drive 2012 SRX. After reading some posts, I'm wondering if they are as unreliable as they can seem to be. I now have a Toyota Sequoia with around 159,000 miles and no significant issues--some of the interior lights are going out and the low beam headlights have always been terrible.

I understand that this forum is one for owners of Cadillacs, but the question remains for me--given the choice, would you have bought the SRX or purchased something else--I'm going back and forth between the SRX and the VOlvo XC70. With local pricing, the SRX is significantly cheaper than the Volvo, gets better mileage, is less common, and has more "candy," but I don't want to deal with a lot of reliability issues, notwithstanding the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Finally, would you pay the extra money for the 2013?

I know this is a long, rambling first post, but I had initially planned to buy a used A6 Avant only to learn that my kid's hockey bag (he's a goalie) won't fit in the back of it.

Thanks.

-Dave

TheCaptain
01-20-13, 10:10 PM
Go with the '13. You won't regret it.

9-5lover
01-20-13, 10:15 PM
Go with the '13. You won't regret it.
Thanks, Captain. Can you give me more info as to why?

Ponyman
01-20-13, 10:17 PM
Lot of subtle improvements on the 2013. Better seats, smoother ride, new grille, and many safety improvements. like collision avoidance, lane departure warning, blind spot indicators, rear radar warning for oncoming traffic when backing out of a parking sot, and other things I am sure I am forgtting. We had a 10 premium, and going to the 13 premium was like night and day. Our 10 was trouble free, and so far so has been the 13.

9-5lover
01-20-13, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Ponyman.

TheCaptain
01-20-13, 10:23 PM
Ponyman said it all for me, except my 2010 hasn't been as trouble free...

adamjeeps
01-20-13, 10:34 PM
The 2012 should be being sold at a huge discount. Unless you really want the CUE system, I'd get the 2012. That is what I did. Only been two weeks but happy so far.

Runch Machine
01-20-13, 10:48 PM
We looked at both, first at the 2012 at a dealer who didn't have any 2013s, We really liked the 12 until we went to another dealer and saw the 13. The technology update is significant, especially the safety items listed above, and the CUE system is very cool. We've had the car for 3 months now and no problems at all. Still very thrilled with the purchase. I'm not sure why you think SRXs are unreliable. Remember that people usually don't post if they are happy with a purchase, they post only if they have problems and are unhappy. Since we live in Minnesota, we got the all wheel drive version.

By the way, my wife drives the car most of the time. She had a LexusRX330 SUV before this, so we started at the Lexus dealer. She assumed she'd buy another Lexus. I suggested we also look at the Lincoln SUV and Cadillac SRX. We drove the Cadillac last and right away she liked the way it drove and the safety features. It was also a better deal. Three months in she still raves about how much she likes the car.

stevec5375
01-21-13, 07:49 AM
I'm considering buying a new front wheel drive 2012 SRX. After reading some posts, I'm wondering if they are as unreliable as they can seem to be. I now have a Toyota Sequoia with around 159,000 miles and no significant issues--some of the interior lights are going out and the low beam headlights have always been terrible.

I understand that this forum is one for owners of Cadillacs, but the question remains for me--given the choice, would you have bought the SRX or purchased something else--I'm going back and forth between the SRX and the VOlvo XC70. With local pricing, the SRX is significantly cheaper than the Volvo, gets better mileage, is less common, and has more "candy," but I don't want to deal with a lot of reliability issues, notwithstanding the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Finally, would you pay the extra money for the 2013?

I know this is a long, rambling first post, but I had initially planned to buy a used A6 Avant only to learn that my kid's hockey bag (he's a goalie) won't fit in the back of it.

Thanks.

-Dave

I bought the 2010 model which was the first year of a redesign. Bad decision on my part. Take a look at this post and you'll see what I mean:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/273138-how-many-times-has-your-srx.html#post3125055

Also, if you are considering the 2013 with CUE, I would take a read of this forum dedicated to CUE. One of the chief gripes is that it needs a faster processor:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/

Likely
01-21-13, 09:35 AM
I own an 2010 premium model. I agree that the 2010's have had issues. Mainly electrical. Buy the 2013. Great vehicle.

erdoc48
01-21-13, 09:56 AM
The 2012 should be being sold at a huge discount. Unless you really want the CUE system, I'd get the 2012. That is what I did. Only been two weeks but happy so far.

CUE wasn't really that important to me or the wife (who drives our 2012 Performance primarily). There are substantial discounts and you can get a Performance model for what you'd likely pay for a 2013 Luxury version. We're very happy with the 2012 we bought, and got nearly $9000 off MSRP (paid $38355 before taxes and registration). Unless you need to have the most up to date electronics like CUE, the 2012 will be perfect for your needs. Also, the reliability according to Consumer reports for the 2012 has been excellent.

As for CUE, I do like it, but since it's a new system and may be buggy initially, I would be inclined to wait a year or 2 before getting a vehicle with it (if the processor speed is slow, what Cadillac will likely do is improve the processor for 2014 and use that as a selling point).

e004698
01-21-13, 02:05 PM
Lot of subtle improvements on the 2013. Better seats, smoother ride, new grille, and many safety improvements. like collision avoidance, lane departure warning, blind spot indicators, rear radar warning for oncoming traffic when backing out of a parking sot, and other things I am sure I am forgtting. We had a 10 premium, and going to the 13 premium was like night and day. Our 10 was trouble free, and so far so has been the 13.
Ponyman, I have heard this a couple of times about improved seats. Improved how? Are they more comfortable? Do we know for a fact this change took place? I asked my dealer salesman about 2013 seats and he emailed back he had just sat in one and it was real comfortable, but didnt know abouy any change.
I love my 2010, but would like the 3.6 and more comfy seays if I can get there. Thanks!

----------

Ponyman, I have heard this a couple of times about improved seats. Improved how? Are they more comfortable? Do we know for a fact this change took place? I asked my dealer salesman about 2013 seats and he emailed back he had just sat in one and it was real comfortable, but didnt know abouy any change.
I love my 2010, but would like the 3.6 and more comfy seays if I can get there. Thanks!

9-5lover
01-21-13, 06:02 PM
I was just at the dealership investigating the differences between the 2012 and the 2013 models. My salesperson did not know about a seat change.

The 2013 seats seemed marginally softer and there may have been some minor differences in the stitching. I did not notice any other differences between the seats in the two vehicles.

erdoc48
01-21-13, 06:13 PM
The question remains for you: new with CUE or saving quite a bit of money (even if the seats are a bit different in the 2013)?

Marc NY
01-21-13, 06:17 PM
... Ponyman, I have heard this a couple of times about improved seats. Improved how? Are they more comfortable? Do we know for a fact this change took place? I asked my dealer salesman about 2013 seats and he emailed back he had just sat in one and it was real comfortable, but didnt know abouy any change.
I love my 2010, but would like the 3.6 and more comfy seats if I can get there. Thanks!I owned a 2010 & 2012 SRX before my 2013 and yes it is true ... the 2013 seats are more "plush" and comfortable. The first thing I felt when I sat in my 2013 SRX were the new seats. If you doubt us then I suggest you sit in a pre-2013 and then go sit in a 2013 and you will notice the difference immediately! Perhaps the reason your sales person didn't know about the new seats was because I doubt that GM notified the dealers about the changes to the seat's comfort levels. When GM engineers added the new Driver Awareness Pkg. option they obvisouly decided it was the right time to address the level of comfort in the seats that some owners had been wanting in their SRXs. With the addition of the CUE as well it really brings the 2013 SRX to higher level of luxury that I expected and wanted out of my SRX.

When I get into my new SRX I truly feel like I am in a completely new refreshed SRX. :)

Ponyman
01-21-13, 06:19 PM
All I can tell you is the 13 seats are better. They look the same, but for me they are so much better. I am 6"2" 255lbs, so that might be a factor also. The 10 I never liked the seats, griped to the wife from day one they were not comfortable to me and a hundred miles in them was torture. We were 5 minutes into the test drive on the 13 and I told my wife the seats were better. She didn't notice it then, but on the 80 mile drive home she also commented on the seats. We took it on a 350 mile trip to our vacation home, and I had no problems riding in it that far. Previously in the 10 we would have been stopping much more often.
As for CUE, all we do is play the radio, use the bluetooth and navigation, and all that has worked fine for me. If you are a techno geek then maybe it isn't good enough, but you can't please everybody. Also, even though we don't use it to it's potential, it sure looks cool, and the backup camera comes on immediately. The 10 there was considerable lag time for the screen to come up and the camera to come on. Once when backing out of a parking space a car ran right up behind me. The screen wasn't up yet, but I was saved by the rear parking sensors. I personally really like the fact you don't have a screen sticking up from the dash.

9-5lover
01-21-13, 07:43 PM
The question remains for you: new with CUE or saving quite a bit of money (even if the seats are a bit different in the 2013)?

If I go with the SRX, it will be the 2012--to me the changes aren't worth the $6-7K difference between the purchase price of the two vehicles. I just need a couple more drives in it and the Volvo before I make my decision.

e004698
01-21-13, 10:21 PM
Thanks, Ponyman.
I am making an appointment with my dealer on Wed to check out SRX seats and also the ATS.

----------

I bet the 3.6 makes a nice improvement, too!

erdoc48
01-21-13, 10:41 PM
ATS is a real nice car- a little snug in the back seat, and no real discounts to speak of since it's new.

Marc NY
01-22-13, 07:24 AM
Thanks, Ponyman.
I am making an appointment with my dealer on Wed to check out SRX seats and also the ATS.

----------

I bet the 3.6 makes a nice improvement, too!One point to consider is the ease of entry and exit with both vehicles. The SRX is by far the easiest getting in and out of because it is a slightly higher vehicle. :)

Yes the 3.6L engine will make a huge difference with 308 HP along with some great torque especially throughout the lower RPM range! :thumbsup:

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-22-13, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Ponyman.

----------

I bet the 3.6 makes a nice improvement, too!

E004698, please let me know if you would like me to step in on your behalf at any point and follow up with your dealer. I'm happy to investigate your vehicle questions further as well, so please feel free to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance! I'm happy to help where I can.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service