: Pros & Cons of Rolled Fenders

rand49er
01-20-13, 03:23 PM
First of all, do these really work to minimize sheet metal-tire contact when lowered?

Also, are they a negative for resale or dimension stability or anything else?

barrok69
01-20-13, 07:56 PM
It's purely for riding yourself of tire rub conditions. I would say its a plus if you want to sell your car. Nobody likes cutting tires! It doesn't affect any dimensional stability. It's the easiest way of manufacturing a car to have a pinch weld in that place. All the rolling does is bend the pinch weld flange up and out of the way. If done improperly you can crack the paint. And sometimes the thinner edge is more prone to road blast paint chipping as well.

rand49er
01-20-13, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I saw several youtube vids, and they all heated the paint before starting to roll the metal. I just wondered if that flange, if left alone in that shape, provided better strength (sort of like an I beam) than if it was folded up like that.

As background, I was thinking about lowering my car another 1/4" (I'm about 3/4" now) and don't want to worry about rubbing.

tweeter81
01-20-13, 10:01 PM
Rand, I've had my fenders very aggressively rolled for over 5 years now (paid a body shop to do it) and have not had any negative effects because of it. I highly recommend it to anyone who lowers these cars.

rand49er
01-21-13, 06:35 AM
Rand, I've had my fenders very aggressively rolled for over 5 years now (paid a body shop to do it) and have not had any negative effects because of it. I highly recommend it to anyone who lowers these cars.Good to know! Are there any negatives?

soulja
01-21-13, 08:42 AM
Randy, I heated my fenders with a heat gun and then took a rubber mallet and had at it. No damage or scratches. Any negatives? Nope, they should have came from the factory rolled.

----------

On another note, I am surprised you are riding around without rolled fenders since you have 275 rears. I have 275 rears and lowered and I wouldn't have made it to the end of the block without rolling my fenders.

rand49er
01-21-13, 12:40 PM
Okay, from what everybody's saying, it's just part of lowering a car and putting wider tires on and has no real downside.

I did see a Japanese youtube vid with a guy using a series of hammers on his car. Even if he missed a little bit, it wouldn't have mattered on that car. I think to be safe, I'll talk to my local body shop.

Thanks, guys!

alradco
01-21-13, 02:34 PM
Okay, from what everybody's saying, it's just part of lowering a car and putting wider tires on and has no real downside.

I did see a Japanese youtube vid with a guy using a series of hammers on his car. Even if he missed a little bit, it wouldn't have mattered on that car. I think to be safe, I'll talk to my local body shop.

Thanks, guys!

Friend of mine does it and has done hundreds of cars. Never an issue or problem. I wouldn't consider doing it myself either, not on a nice car like a V. It's pretty inexpensive to have it done.

NCOGNITO
01-21-13, 06:48 PM
I was inspecting my inner fenders after giving the V a bath and suspect that the rear fenders on mine were already rolled and the front ones may have been "rolled" with a hammer, since they're not as even. The inner lip is definitely bent up and inward, maybe 1/2 or less gap between the fender and the part of the lip that's bent up into the wheelwell. I didn't think of trying to snap pics and wouldn't be able to snag good ones with the wheels on there.

Is there a way to tell if they've already been done? Anyone have before and after pics on their rolled fenders?

rand49er
01-21-13, 07:25 PM
... Is there a way to tell if they've already been done? Anyone have before and after pics on their rolled fenders?Great idea! I'd like to see a V with this done.

NCOGNITO
01-31-13, 11:48 AM
Bueller? Anyone with before and after pics of rolled fenders?

barrok69
01-31-13, 12:05 PM
Bueller? Anyone with before and after pics of rolled fenders?

it will basically look like this...

Stock Left side Fender
outside <- L -> inside

Rolled Left side Fender
outside <- |/ -> inside

It depends on how much it is "rolled". But the main idea is just bending the inner lip up and away from the tire. Some people roll them flush with the outer fender. My advice would be to roll it slightly or enough to clear tires and to not have a knife edge waiting to get stone chipped to hell. If you drive in places that use salt on the road be sure to take extra care and wash up behind the lip or they will rot eventually. It's always a good idea to spray some rubber undercoating behind there before and after rolling.

Take a look at this link to see how it is done with the tool you can rent from tirerack. (lots of good pics)

http://www.bmwdiy.info/fender-rolling/index.html

I did my old car with a rubber mallet in the heat of summer. It didn't chip any paint and bent it very evenly. For the V I would probably use the roller tool or improvised baseball bat method.

NCOGNITO
01-31-13, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the explanation, mine definitely do NOT have a sharp straight edge on them like this: outside <- L -> inside and are definitely like this : outside <- |/ -> inside. I found this "manual" that has some decent pictures of fender rolling on a non-V, mine definitely look like they've been rolled. One less thing I'll have to do.

There's a high mileage V for sale locally, I may just stop by and peek at the fenders to see the difference, on the chance that it has non-rolled fenders.

Bueller
02-01-13, 07:40 PM
No Ncognito, mine aren't rolled so I can't help you with pics.