: Loosing engine power while in 6th gear

NathanTurrell86
01-19-13, 08:49 PM
I was passing a car, dropped it to 4th, put it back in 6th then noticed that the car was loosing power. I down shifted to 5th and everything worked fine. Put it back in 6th gear and it would be good for a couple seconds and loose power again. It did this twice and I got it home. Disconnected battery for a full day, drove car 100 miles with no issue, then next day after I ran about 50 miles it did it once more. I down shifted then put it back in 6th and drove about 60 miles without another problem. Any idea what could be causing this? :banghead:

JLee50
01-19-13, 08:55 PM
Check engine light or any stored codes?

Wingsfan4life
01-20-13, 10:29 AM
I always thought that 6th was just a cruzing gear and a way to save fuel...I only use 6th if I'm traveling a long distance and using cruise control....

NathanTurrell86
01-20-13, 11:00 AM
No engine light or codes , and yes I was just crusing on the high way, other than that I run 5th

darkman
01-20-13, 11:21 AM
No engine light or codes , and yes I was just crusing on the high way, other than that I run 5th

When it loses power in 6th does it misfire, slow down, or what?

NathanTurrell86
01-20-13, 12:04 PM
Just starts to slow down, with no throttle response

HAMSTAR
01-20-13, 12:14 PM
What RPMs are you at in 6th when it happens? Does it not happen in lower gears as similar RPM?

carlson_mn
01-20-13, 12:35 PM
Interested in what this turns out to be. I use 6th all the time. Just don't lug it or put stress on it accelerating going up hills at slow speeds etc. At 37mph it's a 3-4 mpg improvement over 5th.

darkman
01-20-13, 01:41 PM
Just starts to slow down, with no throttle response

So if you were using cruise control it would actually drop below the preset speed and never recover?

NathanTurrell86
01-20-13, 01:44 PM
Yes exactly, it will slowly drop speed, and I'll push on gas and nothin. But it's fine in everyother gear

darkman
01-20-13, 02:27 PM
With no other symptoms and no codes setting I can only guess that some component is marginal and it only shows up with the high load/low rpm conditions particular to 6th gear cruising. It could be, for example a marginal fuel pump, or failing front O2 sensor. It also could be marginal connectivity caused by corrosion, oxidation, or water instrusion in the wiring harness, grounds, or at the ECU.

If it were mine, I would change the fuel filter and test the fuel pressure. Beyond that I would drive in 6th until the condtion occurs again and not downshift to see if I could get a specific code to set.