: Tpms on 1sa

cadillacboy22
01-19-13, 06:09 PM
Does the 1sa 2005 cadillac have tpms ? Took my wheels to get swapped today and the guy said I'm missing my tpms and the place where I had my aftermarkets installed most likely stole them and said your out about $400, But I thought I never had them on the 1sa (base v6 model). Hope someone can help me out ! Thanks
-Tyler

Ludacrisvp
01-19-13, 06:13 PM
If your car doesn't have display options for tire pressure or isn't telling you to service the tpms then you don't have it.

jkharnage
01-19-13, 08:12 PM
My 05 STS (w/ 4.6 liter) doesn't have the TPMS. One less item to break or replace.

neverlateSTS
01-19-13, 10:15 PM
Be thankful you dont have them i have been fighting with these rediculous air pressure nannies for a year.i also have been figuring out how the reciever converts the radio signal to an electrical impulse and will beat it. the new cars to come will go into limp mode if the tpms signals trouble. there will be an awful lot of slow traffic in the future if they dont get this stuff to last longer.ah that is how they will get the gas mileage ratings. i would like to meet the idiot who came up with this mandate all because there were some blow outs and rolling over SUV's. Manufacturers would be better off supplying a tire guage and instructions on how to use it.

EChas3
01-19-13, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the nanny state.

Subsailor613
01-19-13, 11:14 PM
Don't think the 2005 had them. Mine didn't.
check your RPO codes for UJ6,
I got quotes for my 2005, and the Mechanics
did NOT know , i did NOT have them.
I had to tell them !
Happy Motoring. :cool2::cool::cool2:

1BadCadSTS
01-19-13, 11:39 PM
My 05 1sg has them.

Pain in the ass.

carter's_sts
01-20-13, 12:28 AM
Mine seem to work OK on the V........knock on wood. 06 STS AWD doesn't have it (mine I mean).

ddalder
01-20-13, 02:50 AM
I don't mind the TPMS, however I find that living in a climate where we can go from -20 Celsius to +10 Celsius virtually overnight, it can be hard to keep pressures in a range where I won't get a warning.

----------

i would like to meet the idiot who came up with this mandate all because there were some blow outs and rolling over SUV's. Manufacturers would be better off supplying a tire guage and instructions on how to use it.
I work in an environment where all our fleet vehicles are equipped with a tire gauge, staff are expected to use them and most still don't. Not sure how you think making it optional is going to solve the problem. I'm not opposed to them, but I think the technology needs some refinement. Having said this, virtually everything released must be refined and improved. This doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

1BadCadSTS
01-20-13, 09:17 AM
When you've replaced 3 of them and one your already replaced is bad again you'll understand.

ddgm
01-20-13, 09:53 AM
My 2005 has them, have only replaced one and that was because I twisted the valve stem off.
So far, I like them.

Doug

ddalder
01-20-13, 12:34 PM
When you've replaced 3 of them and one your already replaced is bad again you'll understand.
I understand, I've already replaced two and I've only had my car two years (both within months of each other). I recall when front wheel drive was brand new... what a nightmare. Poor reliability, expensive parts, lots of shops didn't have tools to effectively work on them. FWD is now very reliable, but it had to start somewhere. I'm not saying there isn't cause to be frustrated.

neverlateSTS
01-20-13, 01:04 PM
I have had TPMS in all my cars since 2003 i think the manufacturers have had more than sufficient time to develop/refine and produce a reliable product. Lets see place an electronic radio transmitter inside a tire and wheel assy. spin constantly at all speeds then just for fun lets bounce it in every crevice and pot hole available.Now just for fun let the tire dealer charge you extra for nitrogen fill in those new shoes then when the thing goes low you need a tow truck because you dont want to mix real air in your tires.I hope we all wake up some day and start taking responsibility for something other than texting. Checking the tire pressures manually is part of a good physical fitness program the bending once a week will help keep us in shape.
I don't mind the TPMS, however I find that living in a climate where we can go from -20 Celsius to +10 Celsius virtually overnight, it can be hard to keep pressures in a range where I won't get a warning.

----------

I work in an environment where all our fleet vehicles are equipped with a tire gauge, staff are expected to use them and most still don't. Not sure how you think making it optional is going to solve the problem. I'm not opposed to them, but I think the technology needs some refinement. Having said this, virtually everything released must be refined and improved. This doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

EChas3
01-20-13, 05:29 PM
I like it. It helps me keep the pressures where Ilike them for handling & ride. A temperature change of 20 F is enough to make a difference. I'd rather be reminded.

chazglenn3
01-20-13, 09:06 PM
My 2005 has them. I have replaced three of the four of them...LR twice in the two years I have owned the car. But, I blame the relatively inexpensive TPMS sensors that I buy from Discount Tire.

ddalder
01-20-13, 09:21 PM
My 2005 has them. I have replaced three of the four of them...LR twice in the two years I have owned the car. But, I blame the relatively inexpensive TPMS sensors that I buy from Discount Tire.
I believe you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Realistically, whether it's GM or aftermarket, there are likely to be problems (perhaps more with aftermarket). I have no doubt that there are military or aircraft grade systems that have very high reliability. To start installing these in passenger vehicles would likely become cost prohibitive. Further refinement of the "consumer" grade product is definitely necessary and I'm sure can improve overall reliability. I feel it does eventually come down to a cost-benefit decision. When GM (and other makers) start to delete things like a right hand door lock cylinder, under hood light, interior courtesy lighting, etc., the message is clear that they want to reduce the cost of building vehicles. I'm sure they feel the current systems provide acceptable levels of reliability given the maturity of the technology.

dkozloski
01-20-13, 10:12 PM
The system is government mandated. That ought to tell you everything you need to know.

Lifer
01-21-13, 03:26 PM
My 05 1sg has them.

Pain in the ass.

You can bet your bippy on that one. I have replace two in three years, and the DIC won't stop reporting it until they are fixed.

JimD
01-21-13, 04:29 PM
....the new cars to come will go into limp mode if the tpms signals trouble.
I had not heard/read anything about that before your post.

.... there will be an awful lot of slow traffic in the future if they dont get this stuff to last longer.In my limited experience with GM's applied TPMS technology (2004 DTS, 2011 Chevrolet) the weak link is sensor battery life. Electrical system engineers at Boeing might have some relevant up-to-date information on state of the art batteries.

....i would like to meet the idiot who came up with this mandate all because there were some blow outs and rolling over SUV's.
You would be meeting with the members of congress that voted for the TREAD act (2000) and the president that signed it into law (Bill Clinton).

Add in the government employees at DOT/NHTSA that conducted/managed/compiled the test data to support/implement the requirements of the TREAD act.

As a side dish, throw in the judges of the U S Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and you will have the short list of the major players (idiots?).

....Manufacturers would be better off supplying a tire guage and instructions on how to use it.
I have no problem buying my own pressure guage and have been doing so for more than 50 years. The problem I see is convincing/coercing/bribing drivers to read and heed the instructions. The same drivers who do not read and heed the Owner's Manual.

If you have the time and inclination to plough through the legalese and bureaucratic language, here is a link to the DOT/NHTSA pdf file related to TPMS.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/TPMSnprmPost2Cir/TPMSnprmPost2Cir.html

curtc
01-21-13, 04:29 PM
TPMS is OK for me....when I have my 18's mounted...

My 17" snowy's came off my CTS, no TPMS installed and I'm too cheap to have them installed from scratch on 4 wheels...I just push down on the "i" button a few times a day :)

EChas3
01-21-13, 09:21 PM
I can't complain about the battery life on the OEM. Mine were installed in 2005 and only one is starting to get weak, 7 years later. Who makes the best replacements?

perrior
05-06-13, 05:47 PM
Well I hate them, I am on my 5th one and the same thing is going on. First I start with the drivers side front and then a few weeks the passengers side.. Then the rear start. Each sensor is $65. this is the second time this is going on so this time I refuse to pay the dealer. Told him to fix the cause and not just replace them. While I'm on the subject does anyone have a procedure for relearning the tps.
Also you can't use the obdII to remove the fault.. Every time I start the car I have to clear the code before the display panel works.

EChas3
05-06-13, 09:00 PM
It's in the manual; or pop for the activation tool - way cool!