: 2005 Cadillac STS V8 High Output Alternator

BuckCity
01-19-13, 08:24 AM
does anyone know where i can find a high output alternator for my car at?

1BadCadSTS
01-19-13, 08:25 AM
Get an optima mt78

orange57
01-19-13, 11:58 AM
What is the rating of the OEM alternator? How much more power do you need? I would have thought the alternator put out some pretty good current with all the electronics on the car already. Are you putting some aftermarket system in the car?

Subsailor613
01-19-13, 01:57 PM
150 Amp, they call it a generator.
RPO code KG4
There is "NO Cadillac Cop Car", that
would have a larger Alternator.
"If" it had a larger pulley, it would affect the
serpentine belt length.
Happy Motoring

BuckCity
01-30-13, 03:29 PM
i just need a bigger alternator so when i add all of my audio components my lights wont dim. ive already put a grounding kit on it, just need a bigger battery and alt.

Subsailor613
01-30-13, 03:55 PM
You Probably should add a 1 or 2 Farad Capacitor also, to prevent dimming of lights.
I would try this first,it's the easiest, and GO from there.
Capacitors oppose any change in voltage.
I don't think putting a larger Alternator will prevent dimming,it's voltage drop causing
the lights to dim a little. Alternators do NOT react that fast . :cool2::cool::cool2:

aliskerov
01-30-13, 06:46 PM
Not sure how big you're going, but, unless you're going over the top, the stock alt should hold up fine. I have a 1000 RMS watt amp driving a 12" Alpine Type X sub in my 2005 N*; lights barely dim with everything on (nav, A/C, lights, seat vents) and the Volt meter in the cluster display is almost always at or above 14 volts. I could certainly see going a bit bigger with the amp, but having true 1000 RMS watts (2000 peak) should be plenty, unless you're ripping the whole system out, as I upgraded most of the Premium Bose speakers to keep up with the treble, including installing component speakers in the back doors, as well as adding tweeters to the dash channels for crisper highs. Much more then 1000 RMS watts and you'll lose you're highs; and good luck with chasing rattles. Just my 2 cents; hope it helps.

1BadCadSTS
01-30-13, 06:54 PM
Again optima battery problem solved.

EChas3
01-30-13, 09:01 PM
i just need a bigger alternator so when i add all of my audio components my lights wont dim. ive already put a grounding kit on it, just need a bigger battery and alt.

Sub is right. Do you realize how much current is 150 Amps?

A second battery & monster cap are better protection than a bigger alternator.

curtc
01-30-13, 11:39 PM
Caps are almost useless...read up and you'll find out why...If the wiring is upgraded you won't have problems...Do the "big three" wiring upgrade.

2nd battery is not useless.

Charles Warren
01-31-13, 06:34 AM
Take it to a shop and have em over build it or leave it alone and run 2 runs of 0 gauge to the back for grounds, since you did big three add battery only if that doesn't work. How much power you need what are you running?? I'm having alt issue since i put this AutoZone crap in, do not get an AutoZone alt it's a headache. Ive replaced it since I've put it on and it's acting up already so I'm on my 3rd one

----------

And bigger alt is better than second battery i dunno where that info came from but it's inaccurate. And spirocell batteries are not good for high power systems the cells are connected by a small wire and those wires burn out causing an issue. That's why i don't like optima batteries even though i have a blue top in my gtp.