: DIC "Low Battery in Remote" Message

sube5186
01-18-13, 12:22 AM
Since I'm probably one of a few people on here whose car is old enough for this to happen, I thought I'd post this. Got this message on the DIC today after 3 years and two months of ownership. If you have passive entry, I'd assume that puts more drain on the remote's battery. Since I was already out, I decided to pick up a new battery at Walmart. It's a CR2032 lithium button. While exiting the store, I decided to test the range with the weak battery still installed. The remote start worked from at least 200 feet (line of sight). Opening the remote was a little tricky. You have to remove the key, then "gently" pry the two halves apart. The plastic feels very brittle. I felt like it was about to crack at any second. Luckily, it didn't. I didn't have to reprogram the remote afterwards.

So for those wondering, your car will warn you when the remote battery is weak. Secondly, when you get that warning, it still has sufficient power to operate all functions.

Sube

Turbo Dude
01-18-13, 03:03 PM
Good info to know. I'm about there too I suppose.

TheCaptain
01-19-13, 10:29 AM
I should be traded in by that time... although I swapped my one fob out for the other about a year ago. Just because the range dropped on it. (battery level) I use one as a backup and keep one with me.

e004698
01-20-13, 04:56 PM
Not to contradict anyone but I had the problem in less than 3 years (intermittent: car not responding to the remote) and did not recieve the low battery warning in the DIC. Took to dealer, they replaced battery and sent me home for the other fob to replace battery in that one, too, all no charge. Most times the remote worked just fine and as I had never had to replace one on any of my other fobs before, was not suspecting the battery.

garytexasdelta
03-26-13, 07:04 PM
105723105724105725105726105727 Looked and looked.....didn't see these posted anywhere else, so..... remove the key, use a trusty pocket knife to get a slight opening starting at the now exposed edge, use a med slot screwdriver to slide right to left to widen the gap... do both sides (note you can't stick a small screwdriver in the slot revealed by key removal and twist because they overlap, pic 3), and replace the button cell. then, align the two halves, careful because the little board is just sitting there and snap the two halves back together. Ju$t be gentle

TRARON
03-26-13, 10:56 PM
Replaced mine last month as the range dropped off considerably. No warning from the DIC.

Black SRX Perf
03-28-13, 09:07 AM
Since I'm probably one of a few people on here whose car is old enough for this to happen, I thought I'd post this. Got this message on the DIC today after 3 years and two months of ownership. If you have passive entry, I'd assume that puts more drain on the remote's battery. Since I was already out, I decided to pick up a new battery at Walmart. It's a CR2032 lithium button. While exiting the store, I decided to test the range with the weak battery still installed. The remote start worked from at least 200 feet (line of sight). Opening the remote was a little tricky. You have to remove the key, then "gently" pry the two halves apart. The plastic feels very brittle. I felt like it was about to crack at any second. Luckily, it didn't. I didn't have to reprogram the remote afterwards.

So for those wondering, your car will warn you when the remote battery is weak. Secondly, when you get that warning, it still has sufficient power to operate all functions.

Sube

Replaced mine a few months ago. I had been wondering how I would know when it was time. It lasted 3 years and 3 months. The owner's manual says to pry apart using the key. It felt like the key was going to break off so I used a small screwdriver instead. I replaced the battery in both fobs.

jcarlilesiu
04-01-13, 01:12 PM
Mine showed up a couple weeks ago briefly and hasn't returned, but I am sure the warning was an indication that it is getting low.

Since we bought in September of 2009, I am sure we are about there as well.

embassy
04-01-13, 08:13 PM
Bought mine in July of 2010 and just had the warning show up a few days ago myself. Tried searching the forum but never got this thread. Battery replaced and I had the same fears of the fob breaking on me.