: Recommendations on Good Shops in the DC Area?

Skeejunky
01-17-13, 03:47 PM
So the extended warranty on my '05 V expired last year and I'm getting a bit tired of paying dealer prices for service. I've been going to Lindsay in Alexandria, but I'm wondering if any of you DC/VA/MD V owners have any suggestions for good shops that know these cars for basic (and maybe not-so-basic) service. I think the $713 quote for a spark plug/wire change sent me over the edge (unless I'm way off base and that's somehow a reasonable price). Really appreciate any recommendations. And apologies if I missed any threads on this in my search.
- Patrick

'05, Stealth Grey, 76k, few mods

HAMSTAR
01-17-13, 04:13 PM
plugs and wires you should do yourself.

darkman
01-17-13, 05:24 PM
The Standard flat rate allowance to change the spark plugs is 1.6 hours. Since the plug wires come off to do a plug change that should include both operations. I can see how paying full retail for top of the line plugs and OEM wires could add a couple hundred dollars or so, but $713 remains beyond a reasonable reach.

FoD
01-17-13, 05:59 PM
Seems Caddy Dealer pricing has gone up. My local (the "honest" one) is charging over 200/Hr for labor, according to the quote they recently gave me for an install. I agree that plug/wire changes can and should be done yourself. Even one with little to no mechanical experience can tackle this project confidently.

I8URSVT
01-17-13, 09:47 PM
I would look up how to do the plugs/wires (if you dont know how), and do them yourself. You'll learn something and save a bunch of money, which you could then spend on something else!

where ya at in VA?

AAIIIC
01-18-13, 07:59 AM
If you're not willing to dig into it yourself, it seems there are quite a few V owners in the DC area (hence all the talk about Lindsay), so you can probably find someone in the area to help you out. I would offer a hand myself, but I'm down in the Hampton Roads area now.

Agreed that $713 is exorbitant. Did you make sure to tell them you would be getting the parts from Luke? When I got my diff replaced a couple years back, they quoted me one price, I reminded them I would be getting the parts from Luke, and that dropped the quote by a substantial chunk (like from $2700 to $2000, or something like that). Obviously, there's a lot more parts cost involved in a diff swap than in a plug/wire change, but it's still worth mentioning.

Skeejunky
01-18-13, 10:02 AM
That's a good idea. I've never done plugs/wires myself, but I'll take a look into it. I'm also just hoping to get a good/cheaper shop that I can use for all the other stuff that inevitably arises. Lindsay's been fine, just pricey.

I8URSVT: I'm actually in DC...in Glover Park area.

darkman
01-18-13, 11:31 AM
That's a good idea. I've never done plugs/wires myself, but I'll take a look into it. I'm also just hoping to get a good/cheaper shop that I can use for all the other stuff that inevitably arises. Lindsay's been fine, just pricey.

I8URSVT: I'm actually in DC...in Glover Park area.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/173405-spark-plug-change-blood-driveway.html

trukk
01-22-13, 12:54 PM
I would pay someone else to change the plugs. Furstration and bloody knuckles suck.

I go to a little mom and pop place for most of my break fix stuff now. The owner is a serious straight shooter, and used to run a lot of dirt track so he knows his way around performance stuff.

They are located a few minutes from BWI airport, so I'm not sure if that is convient for you or not:

RPM Automotive. Ron is the mechanic, and his wife Kathy runs the office:

http://www.rpmautomotiveinc.net/

If you talk to them, tell them that Chris Winter refered ya.

Honest to a fault. I've used them for 10 years.

-Chris