: CUE Update Status

pkadanec
01-17-13, 10:11 AM
Hi, I just spoke with the service manager at my dealership and he told me that he spoke with his Cadillac rep and there is, as we all have been told, a major CUE release coming this month. Here is how i was told it will happen:

The dealerships will first receive the update for all their lot inventory

Then, BY INVITATION, that will be mailed to each customer, you will be scheduled to come in for the update. The reason they are doing it in this fashion is that they do not know until they "jack you into the Matrix", what version of the CUE software your vehicle is running. If your version on your CUE system has been updated at some point from the original factory install, you are in luck, your upgrade will only take between 1 and 4 hours. Now for the bad news... If you CUE system is still running the original factory install the upgrade will take 12 HOURS! They dealership is supposed to give you a vehicle to drive during this period, so not all bad, just a PIA to be without your vehicle for that long.

I asked if I could get a jump on this, unfortunately the dealers do not have the update yet.

Hope this helps

BTW I understand that the Chevy software is also getting an update at the same time.
:)

nyranger74
01-17-13, 11:58 AM
I wonder if they are going to add new apps such as SMS

Yplus
01-17-13, 01:00 PM
Anyone have an idea which version numbers are above and below that cutoff? I got my ATS fairly early on. But I'd be more than happy to accept a CTS-V Couple as a loaner car....

bungee91
01-17-13, 02:11 PM
That much time for an update makes little sense to what has been talked about previously.
I understand that things change, but if that is the case there is NO way that the possibility of downloading an update and loading it yourself would ever be a possibility.
No one is that patient, or should even (probably) leave a car on accessory power to power Cue without a battery conditioner/charger hooked up for 12 hours, or even 4 at that.

I look forward to the update, digging through the developer documents for the SDK for Cue shows M.Y.2013 won't be left out in the cold, however their have been updates to thing on the API levels for M.Y.2014 vehicles that we won't seem to get. Examples are codecs, some functions, etc...

----------

Anyone have an idea which version numbers are above and below that cutoff? I got my ATS fairly early on. But I'd be more than happy to accept a CTS-V Couple as a loaner car....

My car was an early vehicle also, however I'd be willing to compare my version #'s with yours to see if that helps at all.
I have a feeling we're all running the same version personally, however that is just an assumption. I'd guess an update to Cue for all the vehicles that it goes in would take a fair amount of testing prior to being released each time.

pkadanec
01-17-13, 02:31 PM
Remember, this is the first MAJOR update to CUE, so I would expect this one to take longer (albeit, 12 hours in any case is a bit excessive, hey even an update to Windoze does not take that long). The dealer did mention that the update was coming to them on either a flash drive or a flash card of some sort, so one would hope that in the future GM could figure out how to let the customer do the updates themselves, however, being in the technical industry for 30+ years, i can tell you if there is a way for the end user to screw something up, they will. Can you imagine a bunch of Cadillacs not able to start because of a failed CUE update? Hey, maybe that is a career path for some of us.... I will come to your home of place of business and update your vehicle software for a small fee... :)

inspectorudy
01-17-13, 07:57 PM
If the first big update is anything like other big updates that most of us have anticipated for a long time in other areas of our electronic lives I will be surprised if most of us see any huge improvements in our daily usage of CUE. The changes are usually made incrementally and are not game changers. I too am having very mixed results with the voice commands and my wife is having even worse. It's not that it doesn't work but that it's just so inconsistent. I wish there was a taped recording of words like they use in the Dragon voice recognition program so that CUE would have a sample of the owners voice and pronunciations on file. Codeman, is that possible?

JDsCustom1
01-17-13, 09:27 PM
SMS through Bluetooth is a limitation of the phone.. Ford sync had had that capability for a while and only certain phone can share text messages through Bluetooth.. Very few in reality. iPhone for sure being one that can NOT..

nyranger74
01-17-13, 10:43 PM
SMS through Bluetooth is a limitation of the phone.. Ford sync had had that capability for a while and only certain phone can share text messages through Bluetooth.. Very few in reality. iPhone for sure being one that can NOT..

That is not correct. The iPhone does have MAP now as of iOS 6 so it is capable of SMS. CUE was supposed to have this capability according to the demo version and the user manual. For some reason it wasn't added to the production version.

codeman71
01-18-13, 08:07 AM
I wish there was a taped recording of words like they use in the Dragon voice recognition program so that CUE would have a sample of the owners voice and pronunciations on file. Codeman, is that possible?

I'm not sure if this is possible, but one of the main reasons we don't use this type of voice recognition is that you have to be 100% sure of the person who is speaking, and that is very difficult to determine that reliably. If you pick the wrong person and start adapting to their speech, then you would probably degrade that experience for the other user.

In the vast majority of user testing that we've done, the speech recognition system has worked very well. The most common problems that people run into are 1. Speaking before the beep, and 2. Difficulty with navigation commands. For #1, the system hasn't begun listening until that beep is played, and so if you begin speaking before the beep, then it will only catch the last portion of what you said, and is likely not going to get it right. For #2, the main difficulty with that is because of the sheer size of the navigation databases, you first have to tell the system what type of destination you are looking for, and then can say what you need. Phone and Audio are not like that, you could just say 99.5 and it would most likely know that you want to tune, or say Julia, and it would think you want to call Julia.

Not sure if any of that will help, but from what we've seen and tested, once people understand those potential tripping points that it works pretty well. If you've got any particular examples that you see that work inconsistently, please let me know and I'll see if there's anything else I can recommend.

Sir CussFreq
01-18-13, 08:59 AM
I've never been able to get the voice recognition to work for me. I don't speak with an accent, either. I tried using voice POI for Crest Cadillac when I went to pick up my plates, nothing... Tried 'call Larry', all I get is 'Pardon?' ... I even tried 'Contacts > Larry' and she couldn't find it. Had to browse through contacts manually, and the entry was there. These are just recent examples, but aside from getting it to pull up an XM station once, it's never worked for me. After she says 'Pardon?' 3 times, I just give up and say 'Cancel'. Cue always gets that one right!

Yplus
01-18-13, 01:22 PM
My car was an early vehicle also, however I'd be willing to compare my version #'s with yours to see if that helps at all.
I have a feeling we're all running the same version personally, however that is just an assumption. I'd guess an update to Cue for all the vehicles that it goes in would take a fair amount of testing prior to being released each time.

My version numbers are:

Software: 22953971
Gracenote: 22953970

codeman71
01-18-13, 03:08 PM
I've never been able to get the voice recognition to work for me. I don't speak with an accent, either. I tried using voice POI for Crest Cadillac when I went to pick up my plates, nothing... Tried 'call Larry', all I get is 'Pardon?' ... I even tried 'Contacts > Larry' and she couldn't find it. Had to browse through contacts manually, and the entry was there. These are just recent examples, but aside from getting it to pull up an XM station once, it's never worked for me. After she says 'Pardon?' 3 times, I just give up and say 'Cancel'. Cue always gets that one right!

For the Points of Interest, it isn't able to recognize individual POI names like Crest Cadillac. However, it does recognize brand names, so you could say Cadillac, and then it will find all nearby Cadillac dealerships. For the contact name, is 'Larry' the full contact name, or is there a last name? You have to speak the whole name as it shows up in the list as it isn't able to split up the names into parts. One other thing to watch out for is if the system says a media device is initializing, that means it is still downloading and processing your phone contacts, and should be finished within 30 seconds or a minute, unless you happen to have a Blackberry, where this unfortunately takes longer.

Sir CussFreq
01-18-13, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the dealership name. I'll try it again next time I'm in that area (though, I no longer need directions!). The full contact name is "Larry", and there are no other Larry's in my contact list. For what it's worth, I have an Android and it looks like the contact list is fully loaded (I can browse through them on the DIC), but is it possible the voice translations aren't fully processed / initialized yet?

Regarding the initialization, no matter how long the car's been on, it seems like the first time I hit the voice button it says "Please Wait. Device Initializing", then immediately prompts for my input. Does it make you wait to prompt for input until it's initialized, or is it still going on in the background and this may be contributing to the problem? I do have an ipod with ~40 gigs of music plugged in behind the dash... That may be what it's always trying to initialize...

Mike Grasso
01-18-13, 08:13 PM
Codeman1,

Did you slide past the part where this post started?
Are we looking at a very large upgrade that will be done overnight at a dealer?

Mike

pete0426
01-19-13, 08:48 AM
Voice command always replies with device is initializing when phone is recognized via bluetooth. Have about 50 contacts on the phone. Have driven for over an hour and voice command still results in device is initializing. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3. Same problem occurs with our Galaxy S2. Our cell phone carrier is ATT. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cannot use voice command to call a contact. System will not recognize the contact. Frustrated.

danscrim
01-19-13, 11:05 AM
Voice command always replies with device is initializing when phone is recognized via bluetooth. Have about 50 contacts on the phone. Have driven for over an hour and voice command still results in device is initializing. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3. Same problem occurs with our Galaxy S2. Our cell phone carrier is ATT. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cannot use voice command to call a contact. System will not recognize the contact. Frustrated.

I'll second that. Have a Verizon Galaxy nexus and it will literally always say "Device is initializing." What's weird is that the contacts are accessible via the DIC or CUE display. I've also have the "Recent Calls Not Available" show up. It works for a few days after pairing and then it starts doing that. To fix it I have to remove the link on each device and re-pair.

Sir CussFreq
01-19-13, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I tested more on the way home last night. Every time (not just the first - I guess I usually just give up and don't start over) I pressed the voice button during a 40 minute commute, it says Device Initializing, and I can't get it to recognize the names of any of my contacts. I'll try disconnecting the ipod next time and see if it continues.

Dan / Pete - are you guys using stock or third party ROMs?

RippyPartsDept
01-19-13, 12:48 PM
I have a feeling that a lot of these 'bugs' are going to be fixed in this update ...

pete0426
01-19-13, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I tested more on the way home last night. Every time (not just the first - I guess I usually just give up and don't start over) I pressed the voice button during a 40 minute commute, it says Device Initializing, and I can't get it to recognize the names of any of my contacts. I'll try disconnecting the ipod next time and see if it continues.

Dan / Pete - are you guys using stock or third party ROMs?

Using stock rom. Galaxy S2 will not show contacts when it links. The Galaxy S3 does show the contacts.

bungee91
01-20-13, 02:35 PM
My version numbers are:

Software: 22953971
Gracenote: 22953970

I have the exact same #'s on mine. As I had said, I'd be surprised if anyone's here are different. I'd love to know if that's the case.

CavemanB52
01-20-13, 09:08 PM
My wife's 2013 srx is:
Software: 22973336
Gracenote: 22973339

Hope this helps.

bungee91
01-21-13, 08:26 AM
So in this case the ATS and the SRX clearly have different software versions.

Any other ATS or SRX owners care to chime in for comparison?..

Also adding an XTS's #'s would be helpful also.

I'd really like to know if there are different versions within the same model.

pkadanec
01-22-13, 10:02 AM
December 2012 (2013 XTS Premium)

Software 22953975

codeman71
01-22-13, 10:27 AM
Codeman1,

Did you slide past the part where this post started?
Are we looking at a very large upgrade that will be done overnight at a dealer?

Mike

You caught that, huh? :) Unfortunately I can't comment about this. I know there are multiple components that need to be updated in order to perform a CUE update. 12 hours seems a bit long to me, unless they are accounting any time for possible errors or retries or things of that nature, or possibly there are other software updates for other components not related to CUE that are going to be updated at the same time. I'm not really sure. I can't comment about timing of the update either as I haven't been directed to any specifics more than what I've seen on here already.

----------

Thanks for the clarification on the dealership name. I'll try it again next time I'm in that area (though, I no longer need directions!). The full contact name is "Larry", and there are no other Larry's in my contact list. For what it's worth, I have an Android and it looks like the contact list is fully loaded (I can browse through them on the DIC), but is it possible the voice translations aren't fully processed / initialized yet?

Regarding the initialization, no matter how long the car's been on, it seems like the first time I hit the voice button it says "Please Wait. Device Initializing", then immediately prompts for my input. Does it make you wait to prompt for input until it's initialized, or is it still going on in the background and this may be contributing to the problem? I do have an ipod with ~40 gigs of music plugged in behind the dash... That may be what it's always trying to initialize...

That's exactly what's going on then unfortunately. The system will index whichever is connected to the system first (music or Bluetooth) and once that is finished, it will move on to the next thing. So, if you do have a full 40GB of music, and you leave that connected to the car, that's going to begin immediately, and then once that finishes up it will move on to your phone. So unfortunately with the way the indexing happens, you would either need to wait for it to fully complete, or else connect your iPod to your vehicle after your phone has connected.

----------

I'll second that. Have a Verizon Galaxy nexus and it will literally always say "Device is initializing." What's weird is that the contacts are accessible via the DIC or CUE display. I've also have the "Recent Calls Not Available" show up. It works for a few days after pairing and then it starts doing that. To fix it I have to remove the link on each device and re-pair.

Yes, unfortunately that is a nasty bug that shows up sometimes (and we've fixed in the next software update) that the indexing process gets hung up and the only way to get around it is to unpair (delete device info from each other) and repair. Hopefully you don't have to put up with this for too terribly much longer :(.

----------

Using stock rom. Galaxy S2 will not show contacts when it links. The Galaxy S3 does show the contacts.

Something also to watch out for with Android devices is making sure you allow the contacts list to be downloaded by CUE. On my Droid 3, this message shows up in the notification bar along the top just after I pair. You only have a short window to authorize it as well or else it just disappears.

doug goldberg
01-22-13, 03:32 PM
Codeman, Is the update going improve the GUI responsiveness at all? It seems like its a bit laggy sometimes particularly in the Nav mode where I find the pinch/zoom to be very slow. Im sure the HW is an issue here as well but I assume code optimization might help the overall response. Your using Linux and an open-source C compiler?

codeman71
01-22-13, 04:14 PM
Codeman, Is the update going improve the GUI responsiveness at all? It seems like its a bit laggy sometimes particularly in the Nav mode where I find the pinch/zoom to be very slow. Im sure the HW is an issue here as well but I assume code optimization might help the overall response. Your using Linux and an open-source C compiler?

I have seen improvements in the responsiveness with newer software, yes. Yes we are using Linux, but I don't know for sure what compiler is actually being used.

kiboater
01-22-13, 04:36 PM
My wife's 2013 srx is:

Hope this helps.

Same software here

Whistlingdixiee
01-22-13, 07:34 PM
How do I find my software number for my SRX? Thanks!

codeman71
01-23-13, 08:22 AM
How do I find my software number for my SRX? Thanks!

In the settings application, at the bottom of the list there is a menu called Software Information. In there you can find the software numbers.

miamictsv
01-26-13, 07:32 AM
My wife's 2013 srx is:

Hope this helps.

I have the same version as this. 2013 SRX AWD build in 10/12. SO far i found CUE to be slow and some key options are missing like displaying songs by folders. Navigation is worse then my 2009 CTS-V when it comes to selecting a route.

pever
01-26-13, 09:34 AM
My ATS
(Canada - in case there is some distinction)
Software - 22953975
Gracenote - 22953970
Map - 22993553

RippyPartsDept
01-26-13, 10:34 AM
update is coming soon... dealers have not yet been advised but it will be a rolling (probably VIN based) update so the dealers do not get overwhelmed with cars needing update

this allows the dealers to provide a higher level of service (2013 cadillac loaner vehicle, etc) as the process supposedly fairly involved and is an all day (or more) endeavor

the final tweaks and testing are probably being done as we speak

touch response, overall speed and voice issues as well as many other bug fixes are rumored to be in this update

be patient it's coming soon

miamictsv
01-27-13, 10:52 AM
update is coming soon... dealers have not yet been advised but it will be a rolling (probably VIN based) update so the dealers do not get overwhelmed with cars needing update

this allows the dealers to provide a higher level of service (2013 cadillac loaner vehicle, etc) as the process supposedly fairly involved and is an all day (or more) endeavor

the final tweaks and testing are probably being done as we speak

touch response, overall speed and voice issues as well as many other bug fixes are rumored to be in this update

be patient it's coming soon

Good news :) Upgrading the OS on CUE should not take that long if it is done with a laptop via the USB, unless it takes more space then Windows OS :)))

CDN XTS
01-27-13, 07:48 PM
XTS Platinum built week of Jan 7-11 delivered Jan 22nd/13
Software: 23124322
Gracenote: 22993544
Map: 22993553

ebomb321
01-28-13, 03:08 PM
My ATS
took delivery 1/25
Software - 22953975
Gracenote - 22953970
Map - 22993553

----------

what CUE software version are you? my Nexus is showing contacts and the voice commands work. im running CM10.1 (jellybean 4.2) ROM

danscrim
01-29-13, 11:56 AM
My ATS
took delivery 1/25
Software - 22953975
Gracenote - 22953970
Map - 22993553

----------

what CUE software version are you? my Nexus is showing contacts and the voice commands work. im running CM10.1 (jellybean 4.2) ROM

Identical versions as you. I'm still running CM10. Haven't upgraded to 10.1 yet. Maybe that'll fix my issues. It usually works for a few days then craps out on me. Contacts always work but recent calls won't and it constantly says "device initializing" ... I'll let you know after I update. Thanks!

katz
01-30-13, 12:55 PM
my dealer advised there is an 1,100 feature fix in the coming upgrade, expected in a few weeks, advised will take 5-8 hours to install
probably not 1100 features you'll actually notice, but gives a clue at the complexity of this system.

RippyPartsDept
01-30-13, 01:41 PM
yes... some cars will have less updates some will have more ... it may take a few hours... it may take an overnight stay

i think owners will be getting a $50 cash card and a loaner

it will be rolled out slowly to make sure the dealers have enough loaners and nobody has to get an enterprise rental

pkadanec
01-31-13, 08:39 AM
This is an update to my original post (and the intended topic of this thread). I was at the dealer yesterday for another issue, and i asked about the status of the QUE update. He told me that it would not be until near the end of February. Owners will get an invitation as i mentioned before. As an owner you will get: A loaner car, a FULL tank of gas in your vehicle :) and a Visa gift card. Update time will depend on the version of QUE you are running (as i mentioned before).

RippyPartsDept
01-31-13, 09:48 AM
yeah, this is the information that was just recently relayed to the dealers from GM

CDN XTS
02-02-13, 02:41 PM
I just wonder whether or not those "goodies" listed by pkadamec will be given to Canadian XTS owners, given we already pay more and do not get an iPad for these cars originating in Canada. LOL. May-be we should go after Microsoft and other software suppliers for a Visa gift card for all those OS and Apps fixes, ha, ha, ha. Can see the loaner car but the other goodies are pretty decent of GM in comparison. Well, there is the time involved to take and retrieve the car to and from the dealer and the putting up with problems prior to the fixes, but the latter applies to computer stuff too.

Well, to be fair, I must state that my dealer always drove me home and picked me up or, particularly, if I had to leave the car overnight and needing transportation for other reasons, I always received either a loaner car or a free rental from my dealer when taking in my previous STS, not to forget the free car washes after a service. So no complain about my dealer's service. The Canadian pricing and luck of an iPad are outside the dealers control.

isakhanyan
02-06-13, 01:41 PM
Read an article on engadget.com, link below, an update is said to be on its way but no details for an exact time frame.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/06/cadillac-cue-infotainment-system-update/

RippyPartsDept
02-06-13, 01:48 PM
yeah that wired story was posted here by the news bot yesterday

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-news-concepts-future-models-rumors/281208-cadillac-news-cadillac-rushing-update-laggy.html

inspectorudy
02-06-13, 02:17 PM
I think the link above has some good points about CUE. To me there should have been a few more dedicated controls that always do the same dumb thing without having to tap and wait and tap and wait for the correct function to appear. I will get used to the system but it looks like GM has realized that there are hard buttons that some of their customers prefer over virtual buttons. I tried four times today to get all three rows of my favorites to appear and it was just hit or miss. If you touch the wrong area of the screen you activate the icon nearest to it and it took a lot of EYE time to get it to work properly. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow so that they can try my voice system out and see if it is my voice or the CUE's ears. My wife cannot get the voice system to work either so it may well be something in the system. Have any of you had any issues with the word "Home"? It's on both my wife's and my phone with the correct address but it takes three or four tries to get it to go through. I'll see tomorrow if there is anything wrong with the car or me.

RippyPartsDept
02-06-13, 03:44 PM
have you tried renaming the 'home' contact to something else?

Sir CussFreq
02-06-13, 03:49 PM
When you press the Voice Command button, does she first say 'Device initializing' before the voice command prompt? I've never been able to get any contacts to work via voice control while it's still "initializing" (indexing).

If you can't get it working, just save it as a favorite. I only use the first page of favorites (so far), so I saved 'Home' in the last slot on the 2nd page.

hambone8
02-06-13, 04:28 PM
This is an update to my original post (and the intended topic of this thread). I was at the dealer yesterday for another issue, and i asked about the status of the QUE update. He told me that it would not be until near the end of February. Owners will get an invitation as i mentioned before. As an owner you will get: A loaner car, a FULL tank of gas in your vehicle :) and a Visa gift card. Update time will depend on the version of QUE you are running (as i mentioned before).

When I read this post I wasn't sure how to take it. Is the full tank of gas and gift card a joke that went over my head or the real deal? If it's real, did it come from a reliable source? I'm just blown away about that. I just got of the phone with the service center for my local dealership about a cracked side view mirror which has taken freaking almost 3 weeks to go for some reason. I asked him about an upcoming CUE update. I he didn't get the memo. No knowledge of it. It was like I kicked him in the nuts when I mentioned 6-12 hours for each vehicle LOL.

inspectorudy
02-06-13, 04:36 PM
I too have "Home" saved to the favorites bar but have been trying to get comfortable with the voice system so that I and my wife will feel confident enough to actually use it. Of all the ability of CUE I think the voice system has the most promise for the future. Recently when using my Windows phone and responding to a read out loud text message from it I was asked by my phone, not the CUE lady, if I would like to respond with a text verbally. I did and said out loud "I'll be there in five minutes". My phone read that back to me perfectly in about five seconds and then sent the text. There was no "Pardon" or a tutorial on how to speak correctly. It was just a simple phone! Why is CUE so difficult to use in the voice mode? I'll let you all know if mine is a software or a headware problem tomorrow. I also have an issue with where you have to touch the screen to get the icon you want to activate. It seems that I have to touch above the icon instead of on it. Have any of you had that problem?

RippyPartsDept
02-06-13, 05:01 PM
hambone ... only a couple people at the dealerships will know about the cue update info (the tank of gas and visa card is what i heard also... from our roadside service tech)
not everyone at a dealership is in the loop with what is coming up in the future (they're too busy dealing with today)
it will become more common knowledge when it actually begins and the 'boots on the ground' dealership employees start having to take in cars for it

inspectorudy
02-06-13, 06:37 PM
Update on my "Home" command to CUE. My wife changed her name of our home to "House" on her phone and it worked. It appears that the word home with basically a silent "H" and silent "E" is not that good a word for the CUE lady. I also wanted to navigate to pick up my truck at the Chevy dealer and tried car/auto dealer along with POI. No luck. Then I tried Chevrolet and viola! There it was. It looks like I will just have to learn a new language to get prompt results. As for the dealers knowing about the latest updates, mine wanted to know the link to this forum since she had never heard of it. I think they are just people who come to work everyday and do not have a lot of time to play with the gadgets in the new cars like we do once we own them.

RippyPartsDept
02-06-13, 07:41 PM
spoke with our sales dept before leaving work today and was told that the CUE update will begin rolling out on the 18th

letters will be sent to owners based on production date (or maybe in-service/sale date)
basically a first come first serve system to get owners who have had their vehicles the longest updated first

vehicles coming from the factory have the update already (or will very soon if they don't)
so if you buy a car off a lot right now you're at the tail end of the update (unless they just got it and it was already updated or installed with the new software)

you can tell the difference easiest by checking the CUE Climate icon ... they changed it a little bit
other than that you can check the software version deep in the settings

inspectorudy
02-07-13, 02:51 PM
I was supposed to take my '13 SRX in for CUE service today but the dealer called and said it would be better to wait until late February and the new CUE update would be at the dealer's and I could get everything done at one time. Sounds like it is really coming this time.

pkadanec
02-08-13, 08:35 AM
Link to another thread on this topic...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/281417-latest-news-regarding-cue-update.html

----------

Link contained in the above article. Good overall description of the CUE update.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/cadillac-cue-update-coming-soon-116177/

----------

Link contained in the above article. Good overall description of the CUE update.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/cadillac-cue-update-coming-soon-116177/

CDN XTS
02-08-13, 07:25 PM
@inspectorudy

If I recall correctly the older rules for my 2003 STS, stated using a 2-sylable word rather than just a one-sylable word. Even with my German accent On-star did manage to call my home using my 2-sylable last name rather than "home", which I first tried. Try something like that. Now trying at that time for On-star to correctly understand a telephone number was in most cases rather futile, the reason I accumultated over time - in order not not loose minutes - over 500 of those!. Have not have a chance to try much in my just received XTS. LOL.

Mike Grasso
02-09-13, 12:18 AM
Instead of following the link.............

Software updates are already a part of life for smartphone and PC users, but this societal norm is starting to gravitate to the vehicle as well. In the next few weeks Cadillac will roll out the first significant update to it’s Cadillac User Experience (CUE) infotainment system. The update is expected to provide stability enhancements to address complaints, as well as a few new features.

Most notable, the update is enabling Cadillac drivers to leverage their phone’s voice assistant via the steering wheel. For Apple iPhone users, this means that Siri will be able to be utilized through the car’s audio system. Apple calls this Siri “Eyes Free” meaning certain functions typically available through Siri—such as asking the meaning of life—will not work through CUE. The system will also work with other smartphone voice assistants so long as the phone is using a Bluetooth profile that’s loaded into the CUE system.

Additionally, the update will increase functionality to more media players through the USB port, and for the extremely popular Cadillac owners, CUE will download up to 3,500 phone contacts, up from today’s 1,000.

Cadillac says to expect an overall increase in CUE’s performance. Specifically, certain gestures on the touchscreen, and the capacitive touch button reaction times are to be improved with the update. The CUE system, not unlike other automakers’ infotainment systems, has come under scrutiny for being sluggish and buggy, which Cadillac states is feedback they've received and considered with this update.

Rounding out the updates is a mild reworking of the navigation functionality. While mapping data will remain the same, the system has been tweaked to display more street names, and the logic behind destination routing has been revamped.

Unlike some competitors, Cadillac is not having customers update their systems on their own. Instead, current CUE owners will receive a letter in early March informing them that they may voluntarily have their car updated at a dealership free of charge.

Once taking the vehicle to the dealership for the update, owners may opt to have a Cadillac loaner vehicle to drive while their car is receiving the update.

An ARM 11 3-core processor, with two of those processors dedicated to voice recognition, powers CUE. According to Cadillac the system also houses hardware that is currently not being used by the software, enabling the system to be “future proof” to a certain extent through future releases.

The extra hardware is likely to be utilized on the next update to CUE, which is allegedly going to enable app functionality on the system. GM recently released an API to developers to develop applications for CUE and the company’s other brand-specific infotainment systems. No timeline has been released regarding when customers and developers can expect applications to be ready for download.

Cadillac CUE is currently available on the 2013 ATS, SRX and XTS. All three vehicles will be eligible for the software update. Dealers are expected to receive the update and installation instructions later this month, with customer notification to follow after that.

inspectorudy
02-09-13, 11:52 AM
What does "Instead of following the link" mean?

Mike Grasso
02-09-13, 08:48 PM
It means... Instead of following the link (which takes you off the site and some people worry about corrupt links) here is the information.

Kind of obvious...

RippyPartsDept
02-10-13, 09:32 AM
ah, next time use the quote feature so we don't think you wrote it

Kind of obvious...

kevinr
02-10-13, 07:19 PM
I tried four times today to get all three rows of my favorites to appear and it was just hit or miss. If you touch the wrong area of the screen you activate the icon nearest to it and it took a lot of EYE time to get it to work properly.

I agree 100%. The ability store anything as a favorite is pretty cool, but the system as designed and implemented really takes *way* too much attention to operate. Combine that with a voice command system that can be hit-or-miss, and the system at times borders on unusable. I'm sure some of the problems are related to the indexing issue, but not all. Your point about the favorite reveal gesture/target is, I believe, one of the latter.

Fortunately the gesture/target issue can be addressed w an on-screen UI update. The reveal/hide function has to be a lot larger. I also think the UI threads need to be operating at a higher priority in the system. Especially in a car, those command responses need to be affirmative and instant -- even if the system has to take some time to functionally comply.

Related to this is how the system rudely changes screens without my permission. If I do a voice dial, the (nearly useless) phone screen appears, even though I might actually be needing to check a street on the nav system in the next 10 sec. That causes me to reach over and switch the damn screen back to where I wanted it -- and if indexing is still going on, the UI can be slow to react. So by switching the screen to one i done need, i have to use the high-latency UI to switch it back, which then reminds me of how much I dislike the response latency. All of which is super distracting.

Again, though -- I think the system has great potential, and to the extent that it gets fixed, I don't really mind being a beta tester. But I I do believe there needs to be some serious updates -- including updates that acknowledge some UI issues.

I'm remind of the early days of TiVo -- every time you commanded the system to do something, it would intervene with a 'cute' animation before actually complying. After about two weeks of use, the users complained loudly, and with each update the animations got shorter and shorter until eventually they only existed at startup.

inspectorudy
02-10-13, 08:29 PM
I agree that the potential is there for a great system. I do think that dedicated buttons, real or virtual, would be a great feature. One for "Favorites" and one for "Back" to go to your last page. As you mentioned with the phone call it would be nice to have a back button to go to the last screen you were looking at without having to look at the display. The favorites button would be nice because it would not take your eyes off of the road just to bring up your favorites bar. I would rate these items higher in priority than indexing 3000 songs on an Ipod even though that is a problem to be solved. One other area that has caused me some issues is the back up camera and how it dominates the entire system while it is on. Volume, phone, nav, audio are all inoperative until the camera is off. I guess there is a reason for it to be that way but I cannot imagine what it is.

codeman71
02-11-13, 07:47 AM
Fortunately the gesture/target issue can be addressed w an on-screen UI update. The reveal/hide function has to be a lot larger.

That reveal/hide indicator on the screen is only meant to be an indicator and not what you actually touch. You can drag anywhere on the row of controls along the bottom of the screen. Think of that row as a windows shade handle. Just grab it and slide up, or grab and slide down. You can touch on any of the buttons in the bar and drag up or down. But, this should also be improved a bit more with the newer software as well.

inspectorudy
02-11-13, 09:55 AM
Codeman, it is good to know they are looking at this issue. I have tried to just put my finger along the bottom or for that matter anywhere on the screen to raise the favorites bars but it is not a certain gesture. One time it will work and the next time it will activate the nearest icon. I guess the point is that when driving along and wanting to hit a quick favorite button to get away from a commercial or un-liked song it is an "Eyes off the road" maneuver to get the favorites up for selection. I like the long bars and think they are a great idea and I prefer them to the DIC selection method with the steering wheel. Is it possible to make it like the info that comes up when a hand approaches the screen? By that I mean along with the info that appears there could be a favorites button along the bottom included in the list of other items.

RippyPartsDept
02-11-13, 10:41 AM
don't favorites get indexed for voice control?
so while driving you could just hit the voice button the steering wheel and say the favorite's name?

codeman71
02-11-13, 01:56 PM
don't favorites get indexed for voice control?
so while driving you could just hit the voice button the steering wheel and say the favorite's name?

No, not directly, but in general it works almost like that. So, you could say any AM/FM/XM channel name like it is said on your Favorites and it will tune, but if you renamed something to My Favorite Station, you wouldn't be able to say it to have it tune to that station.

----------

Codeman, it is good to know they are looking at this issue. I have tried to just put my finger along the bottom or for that matter anywhere on the screen to raise the favorites bars but it is not a certain gesture. One time it will work and the next time it will activate the nearest icon. I guess the point is that when driving along and wanting to hit a quick favorite button to get away from a commercial or un-liked song it is an "Eyes off the road" maneuver to get the favorites up for selection. I like the long bars and think they are a great idea and I prefer them to the DIC selection method with the steering wheel. Is it possible to make it like the info that comes up when a hand approaches the screen? By that I mean along with the info that appears there could be a favorites button along the bottom included in the list of other items.

Rudy, what screens are you trying to activate the Favorites from? If you are using it from Audio or Navigation, those applications are designed to leave the favorites visible (or hidden) just as you left it. So if you are in navigation and you'd like to use your favorites often, the favorites should always be there. I don't recall why we decided to not include Favorites as part of the proximity feature, but I'll bring that up for consideration. Just curious, why don't you like using the DIC selection for favorites? I actually prefer that quite a bit as it's quicker for me to press the up/down button a few times than to reach over and select the appropriate favorite. But a lot of it probably comes down to personal preference.

RippyPartsDept
02-11-13, 02:04 PM
Ah, ok ... so same for location or POI favorites... If you rename the favorite it won't index that name for voice but you could still just command the system by voice to find and/or go to that location

inspectorudy
02-11-13, 07:46 PM
Codeman, it is just the habit of years of the favorites buttons being at the bottom of the radio dial. If I use the DIC list then I have to watch as I scroll and to me that is just too much heads down to find something that is readily visible when looking at a long row of options as in the favorites bars. Also, is there a quick way of knowing where the steering wheel black selector button on the right side of the wheel is as far as the DIC display is. I mean that I always have to click it to see where it is so I can get the proper response. Sometimes it is on the right side of the display and I get no response and then once I move it right or left then I get the four function options. So if I do not know where the selector is then I have to establish that then I have to select favorites and then I have to scroll down through the list and then I have to select the one I want. It would seem for simplicity that the favorite bar could just be up at the owner's selection and then I would only have to push one button to go to my favorite. I am trying to offer what I see as simplicity rather than working with a system that takes many more steps to do the same thing. It could be an owner's option on the settings page if the owner wanted the favorite bar ALWAYS visible. If this type of thing is not feasible then I will stop making suggestions. Thanks again for being here.

kevinr
02-13-13, 02:28 AM
That reveal/hide indicator on the screen is only meant to be an indicator and not what you actually touch. You can drag anywhere on the row of controls along the bottom of the screen. Think of that row as a windows shade handle. Just grab it and slide up, or grab and slide down. You can touch on any of the buttons in the bar and drag up or down. But, this should also be improved a bit more with the newer software as well.

I understand. I wasn't being clear. I think the gestures require more attention than a touchscreen button. Making it larger or move left to right works pretty well, but I can't get hiding/revealing to work without trying three or four times. I don't have that problem with buttons. So I was expressing the hope that one day the gestures would be replaced or augmented with hide/reveal button. Sort of like the way some toolbars work on desktop apps.

Thanks for the tip though. I'll see if that improves my success rate.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll stop now.

danscrim
02-13-13, 08:31 AM
Just dropped my ATS off at the dealer for an oil change and the service department said they received a letter the other day saying that March 1st is when they'll begin rolling out the updates. I'm not sure if that means GM will start sending the updates to the dealers then (which come on a USB stick I believe) or if they already have it and will begin the upgrades on March 1st. It sounded like the latter because he said he'd give me a call and get me in right around March 1st as I will be one of the first vehicles getting the upgrade.

So apparently only a few more weeks away! :D:crying::D

bungee91
02-14-13, 09:45 AM
I was at the Chicago Auto Show and checked out the ATS there
Software version: 23124322

Also you can see the new climate icon in the pic attached.
That's a pretty big # jump from the 22953971 software that I have now!
It did seem much more touch responsive and accurate, however I didn't get to play with it too much.

CDN XTS
02-14-13, 12:33 PM
Don't have that climate icon on my Platinum.:crying:

inspectorudy
02-14-13, 01:55 PM
I hope I'm wrong about this but it is not like Detroit to keep giving it's old customers the newest features for free. I think we may get an upgrade or two but I think that the "Newer" version will only be available in the new models. It's sort of like Microsoft and their Windows updates for free but when they come out with a new version of Windows you have to pay for it. In that sense I think we will probably get some improvements to our beta version of CUE but we will not be getting new features that a lot of us are asking for. IMHO. I am trying to be pragmatic about this and use Detroit history as my guide. We/I hope I'm wrong!

danscrim
02-14-13, 02:08 PM
I was at the Chicago Auto Show and checked out the ATS there
Software version: 23124322

Also you can see the new climate icon in the pic attached.
That's a pretty big # jump from the 22953971 software that I have now!
It did seem much more touch responsive and accurate, however I didn't get to play with it too much.

Great investigative work!!!

RippyPartsDept
02-15-13, 11:31 AM
Don't have that climate icon on my Platinum.:crying:

that's one easy way to tell if a vehicle has had the new CUE update

the factory started using the update not long ago many cars on dealer lots probably have the update

customers are getting the update in order of purchase (supposedly)

CDN XTS
02-15-13, 12:34 PM
Well Chris unfortunately that may not apply to Canadians. Isn't weather a feature of XM? If so, I believe Cody mentioned once that XM doesn't come with weather in Canada. So I just looked on both the US and Canadian sides, The US side has weather and trafic listed. The Canadian side does not. So I'm out of luck again, it seems. Not to mention that the basic package in the US for over 130 channels costs $14.99 whereas we have to pay for 120 channels $15.99. Thus we again have to pay more for less. Getting ripped off again like for anything else, e.g. books, cars, etc.!.:banghead:

RippyPartsDept
02-15-13, 01:42 PM
climate as in HVAC, not weather

it applies to all CUE systems

Rc52
02-16-13, 01:52 AM
I have a S3 on ATT as well with 2000 contacts and only initializes for 15 seconds. Voice works great for any contact downloaded. Looks like the limit is increasing from 1000 to 3500 in the update so that is good for me.

CDN XTS
02-20-13, 12:05 AM
climate as in HVAC, not weather

it applies to all CUE systems

I stand corrected. I do have that particular icon and it looks the same on my XTS Platinum which was built Jan 10, 2013. Was mixed up by that other icon (looking like sun and cloud) which I don't have. Not sure if that climate icon is an indication of the big software update starting in March, given the built date of my car as I would assume dealers would be advised of such.

But it means that we Canadians do not receive all the functions which are being delivered to the US, nor an iPod, given I only show 7 icons on my Home page and 4 icons in the top row of the the other screen showing the software, etc. versions.

Sorry my pictures are extreemly poor and they look even worse when posted here so as to number of icons you need to take my word for it. I guess I need lessons, LOL
Well enlarging them by clicking on them you should see the version numbers and numbers of icons.

Now if this actually means my car already has the update, I can't tell any differences as this is the only version I have used. The indexing issue certainly has not changed as you may have noted from my other posts. So I would hope as soon as the first of you really do receive the update to post the version numbers. Maybe Cody knows.

danscrim
02-20-13, 06:53 AM
The top row is customizable. If you want more up there you can just drag more icons up there.

RippyPartsDept
02-20-13, 11:04 AM
Ok, yeah the weather icon with the sun and clouds is not available in Canada (XM licensing or something? or are you just too far north for the satellites?)

but the Climate Control (hvac) icon did change in the new update but i would assume that the production line has been getting incremental updates that are all being rolled up into this one big update for cars already out in service

Jan 10 seems a bit early to have the full update but maybe not too early to get the icon change
you could compare software version numbers (in the settings) to a vehicle that was delivered to a dealer more recently and see if yours is the same

CDN XTS
02-20-13, 11:29 AM
The top row is customizable. If you want more up there you can just drag more icons up there.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I believe XM in the US comes with the Trafic Link as per the US XM web-site which also includes weather, so I assumed that "sun-cloud" icon was related to it. And as Chris stated in his reply that what that icon is. The Canadian XM web-site has no info on Trafic Link nor do I have that service others have talked about in other threads. We do have to pay a Dollor more monthly than in the US after the 3 free months expire and get less channels and of course unfortunately no Trafic Link which I would have liked. But more money for same and even less service is nothing new to us.:mad2:

@Chris
As to too far north for satellites - ha,ha,ha. I don't think so, particularly as to the Toronto area (very close to where the XTS is assembled) which is considerably further south than many places in the US (and I don't refer to Alaska) Your explanation as to incremental updates is no doubt correct, and that car at the auto show in Chicago probably was produced the same time my car was built, with the same incremental updates. That of course means that climate icon will not be a proof for having the "full" big update as you initially suspected. Well, I didn't make it to the Toronto auto show as I'm getting ready to fly south to a nice beach and warm water, etc., so I'll check back in March as to feed-back reports from those who have by that time received the update. And as it is to be rolled out in order of production, those who receive the update first will have the largest difference to report which in my case would be most likely considerably less.

RippyPartsDept
02-20-13, 05:38 PM
yeah i don't know what the deal is with XM in canada when it comes to GM/Cadillac/CUE ... i was just guessing

and yeah, i was told by the sales mgr here that we could tell the cars w/ the update by that climate icon but now i'm not so sure

NoVA_ATS
02-25-13, 11:33 AM
My car is going to the dealership tomorrow AM for the update! Will report back when I get it back...

bungee91
02-25-13, 02:01 PM
I called my dealer and they said they have the update also (note they hadn't called me yet), so I scheduled my service appointment for Wednesday after work and would assume I'd have the car back on Thursday.
So if you're impatient and don't want to wait, it sounds like dealers now have the new software.

RippyPartsDept
02-25-13, 05:06 PM
so we have started to do some of these updates here and I went and talked to our top tech who handles these new issues and teaches the other guys the ins-and-outs of the special cases like this

he said that the 2-hour update time is about correct
UNLESS there are other updates/reflashes that need to be done

the earlier the car was built the more updates need to be done to the car besides just the CUE update and that can end up taking a long time

inspectorudy
02-25-13, 06:07 PM
I called my dealer to schedule a look at my CUE screen and was told that they have the other CUE up dates but not the SRX. I have to believe them because they have been very good to me.They are projecting early March.

AZCADATS
02-25-13, 06:27 PM
I contacted my dealer and they said they just received the update last Thursday. I'm scheduled for my update this Wednesday and he said it should take approximately 90 minutes to 2 hours. I'll report back once it's completed.

cullama213
02-26-13, 09:13 AM
Just called my dealership, waiting to hear back.

As a side note, does anyone know if this will cure the 'knocking' from the HVAC as discussed in this thread?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/278299-tapping-noise-hvac-system.html

NoVA_ATS
02-26-13, 11:17 AM
As a side note, does anyone know if this will cure the 'knocking' from the HVAC as discussed in this thread?

It is my understanding that they will provide my car the update that is discussed in that thread at the same time as well.... There are a number of software updates for the ATS: Memory Seats, HVAC, CUE, as well as some others.

RippyPartsDept
02-26-13, 12:09 PM
yeah, that's what i was trying to say in post #84

if there's any other software updates for other modules they will get done as well

jreihsen
02-26-13, 09:27 PM
I'm very anxious to hear from anyone who has had the update. We will be taking out ATS in for the common turn signal false warning and I hope that our dealer will want to set an appointment for the update. I hope the update is solid, but I'm a Windows programmer so I've seen my share of unexpected results from Microsoft updates, and even more from my own.

marktanner
02-27-13, 12:38 AM
My car, which was mad just a few weeks ago, definitely has the update. From what I have experienced, it reacts much faster and smoother than ones I have tried in the past. The only hiccough so far is that after reading weather alerts, it won't return to the previous map view. I basically have to go to home, then tap the Nav icon, and all is well. May even be less taps this way, but I'm sure that's not what was intended.

AZCADATS
02-27-13, 12:07 PM
I brought my car in this morning for the CUE update. Received a call from my tech saying that the car will actually be ready tomorrow instead of today. But that's ok. What they are doing he said is not only updating the CUE system, but also replacing the front controller section (where all of the buttons are for volume/climate, etc.) and it is being overnighted to them. Apparently this is a service bulletin they just received, and is to fix problems some owners have reported on the automatic volume controls not working correctly. Now whether this also helps the responsiveness of those touch controls as well is yet to be seen. Also a fix for memory seat issues (which I have not experienced myself). My car is the first one the techs are performing these service bulletins on at my dealership (the largest Cadillac dealership in AZ). I'll post more when I receive the car back tomorrow.

inspectorudy
02-27-13, 02:42 PM
My dealer e-mailed me this morning to tell me that they would have the software on Monday and they would call me to set up my recall time. God, I hope it helps!

skyy
02-28-13, 02:38 PM
I had the update done yesterday. The new voice is the best part. It also seems more responsive.
Nothing else stands out as a change except the icons that have been mentioned.
Was surprised three were not release notes provided.

RippyPartsDept
02-28-13, 04:59 PM
as far as i know there are no release notes

inspectorudy
02-28-13, 05:55 PM
Do you suppose that the changes made will just have to be discovered by us or will they give us a change notice?

RippyPartsDept
02-28-13, 06:49 PM
any major changes will have notifications
bug fixes etc like this update will not

AZCADATS
02-28-13, 07:02 PM
I just got my ATS back from the dealer with the CUE update. I have to say, I am quite impressed with what they did, and the results.

First of all, they didn't just update the CUE software. They actually installed a brand new CUE unit (screen, electronics, control panel, etc.). I didn't expect that and not sure if they are doing this for everyone (I purchased my car at the end of October), but I was nice to see a new screen without any smudge marks like it was when I first purchased the car :)

Here is what I have been able to experience so far with the update:
1) Volume Control MUCH more responsive. Just flick it and it changes volume immediately. No more delay or problems with how hard you had to press to respond.
2) Climate controls also much more responsive. Sometimes I would have to hit the climate touch surface a few times before it would change temps, now each time it responds quickly.
3) Although I am in AZ, occassionaly I had the need to use heat during the winter and experienced the same knocking that most others here have experienced. I turned the heat all the way up and so far have not heard the knocking any longer.
4) New voice. Although upon turning the car on and my 160GB classic ipod is indexing, going to dial out it does say 'initializing device' but then goes immediately to 'please say a command'. No longer gives you an entire boring explanation.
5) Playlist seems to now load much faster. Have not had enough time to fully test this out, but the yellow circle barely showed up before the playlists were able to be selected.
6) New index column on the left side of your playlist/songs/genres/artists so a little easier to scroll down a long list. It will also only show an index of letters that pertain to the first letter of your list so even easier to navigate (i.e. if you do not have a playlist or song starting with Q, it will not show Q in the index).
7) New icons for weather and Navigation
8) Overall definitely faster responsiveness

Since they replaced the entire unit, I did have to repair my bluetooth, but no problem. All other previous settings were saved.

I have not had it long enough to see if any of the other problems in the past have been resolved such as song skipping, playlists that turn into an album when you turn the car back on, etc. so as I spend more time I'll report back. But so far, I am extremely pleased with the new update and it now acts and responds the way I think CUE should.

Edit:
Here are the service bulletins that were performed in case anyone is interested:
- Bulletin N120262 12262 Seat Memory Control Module Reprogram (some people had problems with key fobs and memory positions). This was issued 1/15/13
- Bulletin N120265 12265 Auto Radio Volume Increases &/or Integrated CTR Stack Buttons Not Operating (this is what replaced the whole unit). This bulletin was issued 2/25/13
- Bulletin N120293 12293 Cue System Update. Bulletin issued 2/21/13

For those who may be curious, I did not receive any other type of compensation as has been discussed on these threads previously. Regular free rental for warranty work.

Also, now when a call is completed you are returned to the previous screen (i.e. music) instead of remaining on the call screen.

cullama213
02-28-13, 08:21 PM
AZCADATS, since you have an iPhone 5, have you tried using Siri? Is that a feature that was included in this update?

AZCADATS
02-28-13, 08:34 PM
Yes, Siri works with a 4S and therefore I"m sure with a 5 although I haven't tried my 5 yet.

Pandora still does not work over bluetooth with 4S (I'll check with 5 a little later). Bluetooth streaming when Pandora is running on the phone works, but not as controlled through the Pandora app on CUE.

Update: I tested iPhone 5 and Pandora does not stream over bluetooth, Siri does.

longslim
02-28-13, 10:02 PM
Dealer call me for the Cue update along with several repairs they had postpone. So they are starting with the plastic molding around the driver side A pillar which is coming lose. My door handles where on order and had taken two week to arrive and there was the rear speaker issue to deal with. I hope it's worth the wait the car has been in two days so far and they're saying they need another day. My wife joked they must have broken something or the car want start anymore lol. We shall see long as everything is finally fix update and repaired I'm good. It's good news about the stack being replaced because every once in awhile my volume will sticks on max

AZCADATS
02-28-13, 11:02 PM
longslim, yes that's exactly what the service bulletin specified is one of the things fixed with replacement of the stack.

ewired
03-01-13, 12:54 AM
Update: I tested iPhone 5 and Pandora does not stream over bluetooth, Siri does.

Is Siri available during xm or radio mode?

AZCADATS
03-01-13, 08:52 AM
It seems to work just as receiving a phone call, in that you hold down the home button on your phone for Siri and CUE turns off the music and connects you via bluetooth to talk to Siri and listen to response.

cullama213
03-01-13, 01:41 PM
Is there anyway to activate Siri without touching the phone? Such as through the voice commands of CUE as originally specified in the Owners Manual?

----------

Dealer call me for the Cue update along with several repairs they had postpone. So they are starting with the plastic molding around the driver side A pillar which is coming lose. My door handles where on order and had taken two week to arrive and there was the rear speaker issue to deal with. I hope it's worth the wait the car has been in two days so far and they're saying they need another day. My wife joked they must have broken something or the car want start anymore lol. We shall see long as everything is finally fix update and repaired I'm good. It's good news about the stack being replaced because every once in awhile my volume will sticks on max

What is wrong with your A pillar and rear speaker, if you don't mind me asking.

RippyPartsDept
03-01-13, 01:48 PM
you can activate siri by voice with apps from the cydia appstore (must jailbreak your iphone first)

pkadanec
03-01-13, 01:57 PM
Do you have a suggested app in Cydia that you have tried?

AZCADATS
03-01-13, 02:29 PM
I've seen Hands Free is one of the more popular ones, but I haven't tried it myself.

pkadanec
03-01-13, 02:45 PM
i will check it out, thanks!

RippyPartsDept
03-01-13, 03:36 PM
Do you have a suggested app in Cydia that you have tried?

i did a google search for "voice activate siri" and this video was the number one result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4fBT1XUjf0

it shows off a jailbraoken phone using an app from cydia

nyranger74
03-01-13, 04:03 PM
I thought the whole point of Siri eyes free was to activate it from the car without touching the phone and taking your eyes off the road. If that's not the case, then they did not add eyes free

AZCADATS
03-01-13, 04:08 PM
that's correct, they did not add Eyes Free. Only a very few car manufacturers from what I understand have added it so far to a few of their models. What they did add with the CUE update is the ability to use Siri through CUE bluetooth.

cullama213
03-01-13, 08:32 PM
Well it's a step in the right direction, but still not perfect... The Chevy's can activate it via the steering wheel buttons via the Eyes Free...

Can Codeman weigh in on this?

XavierFlatbush
03-02-13, 08:06 AM
I lease a '13 SRX, any idea if they will update leased vehicles too. First time lease, not sure of protocol. Thanks.

RippyPartsDept
03-02-13, 08:47 AM
yes they will update all vehicles

you can contact any dealer and have them run the VIN to check and see what open campaigns (recalls, bulletins, etc) are open for your vehicle
this should be one of them (there might be more)

NoVA_ATS
03-02-13, 02:12 PM
I got my update, it works great. It is certainly faster across the board. My HVAC is still tap tap tappin away though...

On a separate but related note, I am actually wondering if the dealership replaced my CUE screen because I now noticed the sensors for the pop up menus under my screen. You can see a contrast of where those sensor are and the rest of the plastic. Maybe I am nuts and it was always there...

danscrim
03-02-13, 06:12 PM
I got my update, it works great. It is certainly faster across the board. My HVAC is still tap tap tappin away though...

On a separate but related note, I am actually wondering if the dealership replaced my CUE screen because I now noticed the sensors for the pop up menus under my screen. You can see a contrast of where those sensor are and the rest of the plastic. Maybe I am nuts and it was always there...

They were probably always there. There's been no change to those... I got my car in October and it has them. You can only see them when the light hits it a certain way though, so they are easily missed.

longslim
03-02-13, 06:59 PM
Got my car back today and update is alright so far, the weather icon is still useless, never has worked. Weird part is next week car will be going back to replace the stack. It seem like it would have been better to wait and do it altogether but my rep said it didn't matter.

marktanner
03-04-13, 01:54 AM
Too bad your weather doesn't work. Overall, the app is awesome, except that it doesn't return to the original Nav view after viewing weather alerts (we have had a lot lately) without going to the home screen first. The weather maps are cool, as are the forecasts. It does take a few minutes to get all of the info, after traffic is loaded first.

codeman71
03-04-13, 08:37 AM
Got my car back today and update is alright so far, the weather icon is still useless, never has worked. Weird part is next week car will be going back to replace the stack. It seem like it would have been better to wait and do it altogether but my rep said it didn't matter.

Do you get a pop-up saying that your subscription has expired? Early on in the production run there were some issues where the XM modules weren't properly activated and you'd get this popup when you tried to go into weather. This can be pretty easily corrected by going to XM's refresh website (https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefresh_view.action) and putting in your radio ID which is displayed on that popup. Then just have your car outside and running for the next 20 or so minutes and you should get the activation signal that will then allow that application to function.

inspectorudy
03-04-13, 05:18 PM
I got my update letter today from my dealer and go in tomorrow. I think I'm their first victim. I'll let you know how it goes and if I can tell any difference.

rebelduke
03-05-13, 05:18 PM
I received my letter yesterday and have an appointment for next week. I was told they would need the car at least one full day and possibly an additional one-half day.

Yplus
03-06-13, 10:20 AM
I'm confirmed for Monday morning :thumbsup: I think I was the first ATS in my area so they told me it could be more than a day ( I assume this means I may be getting a new face unit, etc.) but from hearing about the improvements, I can't wait...

Chris Shillinger
03-06-13, 04:03 PM
My First Post:
I am new to the forum, I work for a dealership and specialize in CUE.
I have read through all the exciting posts in this thread pertaining to the CUE update. The update is of course underway and we are happy to see the changes finally here (especially making it more responsive). Things to look out for are your saved information. Anything stored on CUE, excluding radio presets, will be erased during the update. It is suggested that you personally record any information that isn't stored in your smart phone so that you can quickly re-enter it when your car is redelivered. That includes having to repair your smartphone. Some dealerships are implementing a new position known as CTE or certified technology expert to aid customers in all things CUE. The quickest way to get answers are by contacting your dealership and asking if they have someone like this to help, and when you do, let us know what they say!

slepr
03-06-13, 09:44 PM
My ATS received the update today. After a quick re-pair of my Windows phone I was off for the drive home. I had been trying to have my texts read over CUE (as another Windows Phone owner had successfully accomplished). Less than five minutes into the drive I received a text and I was able to interact with the phone using the voice button on the steering wheel to initiate. I was very happy with that bit of good news. The interaction via touch is much more responsive. Before the update it was difficult to resist the urge to keep pressing the screen to change media because invariably the delay was enough that I would go one past the media type I was wanting and would have to cycle through again in a plodding manner to get the correct media selected. Now, no delay, no wondering whether I should wait a little longer for CUE to respond to my touch. Very nice update CUE team! Thank you for your hard work. :thumbsup:

NJRonbo
03-07-13, 08:43 AM
I have an appointment on Monday to update my SRX

cullama213
03-07-13, 09:13 AM
Just dropped my ATS off this morning... Does anyone know if they are supposed to be replacing the entire CUE unit or just doing an update? The reason I ask is because the CUE in the loaner ATS appears to be different (I can see the proximity sensors, as someone else stated above which I can't usually see on mine)...

Just curious...

NJRonbo
03-07-13, 09:18 AM
As far as what I was told by the CUE team, they aren't replacing the entire head unit, but they are doing a complete dashboard update. The CUE in the ATS is far more advanced/complex than it is in the SRX so there will probably be more noticeable differences.

bungee91
03-07-13, 09:19 AM
Just dropped my ATS off this morning... Does anyone know if they are supposed to be replacing the entire CUE unit or just doing an update? The reason I ask is because the CUE in the loaner ATS appears to be different (I can see the proximity sensors, as someone else stated above which I can't usually see on mine)...

Just curious...

It seems hit or miss, mine had no hardware replaced when updated, others have. I'd think the dealer should know the open bulletins on your car and let you know.

NJRonbo
03-07-13, 09:20 AM
My comments above pertain to what I was told about the SRX. Just a software update, but a huge one.

Again, CUE in the ATS is more advanced, and perhaps there is some hardware updates/replacements being done.

RippyPartsDept
03-07-13, 09:42 AM
i think the hardware replacement is tied into a bad batch or something and they are just replacing them all if the car was built in a certain date range (or VIN range)

the volume problem getting stuck all the way up was the main symptom and i think it was manifesting on early XTS and ATS models

cullama213
03-08-13, 11:39 AM
Got my ATS back this morning from having the CUE update and a few other updates and now my AC won't blow out of the front windshield defrosters!!!

Can't believe this!

RippyPartsDept
03-08-13, 01:00 PM
sounds like they messed up one or more of the other updates... did you call them back or head right back there?

worst thing you can do is not bring this to the attention of the service manager

cullama213
03-08-13, 01:43 PM
Chris:

Taking it back tomorrow. Just called and emailed service manager, awaiting response.

I'll keep this thread posted...

RippyPartsDept
03-08-13, 02:57 PM
ok cool

thanks

jeffroeson
03-09-13, 11:37 AM
I haven't received any notification for the CUE update and wondered if I might have the latest version when my ATS was built on Feb 11? What are the latest Software Version, Gracenote & Map numbers with this update to compare mine to?

Thanks.

cullama213
03-09-13, 03:30 PM
Service Manager said that for cars that were 'fully equipped' the CUE update did mess up the AC settings. Dropped it back off today and its supposed to be ready by Monday. I have expressed my frustration and he is trying to come up with a way to appease me.

NJRonbo
03-09-13, 03:42 PM
So happy to hear about this AC issue prior to bringing my SRX in for the update on Monday.

I am anticipating that I will be meeting one of the executives from the CUE team at my dealership when the update is done. They have shown an exceptional amount of concern that all my previous problems with CUE have been addressed. From what I am gathering, they want to make certain my update is done correctly.

I will certainly bring up the issue of the AC problems that are happening with the update, if they are not aware of that already.

If anyone is having any other issues post update, please let me know by Monday and I will be happy to bring it to their attention.

JWLaRue
03-09-13, 07:02 PM
Hopefully this might help shed some light on identifying the problem....

I have a Galaxy S2 with AT&T service. There are slightly more than 100 contacts in my list and I do not have the same experience that you are seeing. I do not have any music on the phone. My music is on an iPod Nano that remains connected to the vehicle.

-Jeff

marktanner
03-09-13, 11:18 PM
Recently built ATSs, such as those built in early February, already have the update. One can tell because the weather and climate icons look different from before, or what's on the iPad. My car, which arrived at the dealership on Feb 18, has the update already. It was the first one the dealership had seen.

inspectorudy
03-11-13, 04:11 PM
I dropped of the SRX this morning and they gave me an ATS as a loaner car. It looks just like the CUE model but isn't CUE. Man they could have used a few of this car's controls plus CUE and they would have had a better combo. I'll see if there is an improvement in my car tomorrow and let you know about it. On the non-CUE model the center console is identical to ours but the AC controls are like ours but there is no big screen to look at and the radio favorite is selectable and the tune and volume are fixed knobs and they have the same steering wheel controls we have. They do not take up any space and instantly findable when you need them. I'm happy with the CUE controls now that I am familiar with them but it seems they went out of their way to make things a little more complex than necessary.

pkadanec
03-11-13, 04:31 PM
So... I just got back from picking up my XTS from the QUE update installation. I had been keeping up with my recalls so i expected that my update would be quick, however... GM just issued 5, yes that is correct, 5 additional recalls, so my update took the entire 24 hour period. To be honest, my dealer was actually able to do all of the recalls, but one (which is just some minor trim parts for the seat rails), the CUE update and my 7K service all within the 24 hours (they did have my vehicle over the weekend, but the total time for the repairs was only 24 hours). I have seen people commenting on whether or not they are replacing any of the hardware. In my case, the answer was yes. One of the recalls was to replace the entire center stack module. All of my settings were maintained except; 1) the vehicle address book entries (I only had 2 so no big deal), 2) I had saved some tone settings as favorites and they did not transfer, 3) I had to re-pair all my bluetooth devices and 4) I had to re-add to the quick pick list at the top of the display the Pandora app that I had added. Other than that, everything else was saved. I have played with the system somewhat, and what I can tell you is that the performance is MUCH improved. It is like if you add a significant amount of memory to a computer or upgrade your display card, the performance difference is noticeable. In addition, the haptic response is much more subtle, no more THUD, when you select an item. They screens scroll much more smoothly. I also noticed that the NAV display seems to display the vehicle progress much more rapidly. I will do some additional testing with the NAV and iPod responsiveness and let you know what I find. Oh yes, i almost forgot... Full tank of gas, $50 Visa gift card and a nice exterior/interior clean. I love my dealer (Tim and Cliff at McKenney).

unclemoose
03-11-13, 06:15 PM
I brought my ATS (2.0T RWD Manual Standard Trim, build 12/24/12) in for my CUE update and turbo to exhaust manifold campaign today. It took about 8 hours. They said they installed a new center stack and installed the update. I've had the car for two months now and I have to say the update is great. Everything from the new voice, quicker response, quicker synching, shorter prompts and less aggressive haptic touch is great. The service was excellent at Jim Riehl and the full tank of gas, concierge service, loaner and gift card were awesome. Thank you GM and Cadillac.

Sweetness
03-11-13, 06:42 PM
I find it very strange no one is providing us with documentation of improvements and how to use new features.

I just got my update done today. When I asked sales and my service guys no one could tell me what changed. I had to sit in the parking lot and play with the CUE to try and see what was different.

The biggest thing I found is that Siri now works through the speaker system in the car. Still have to hit the home button on the iPhone to start communication, but if you can keep up with the prompts it works pretty darn well. I found voice messaging really a joy to use. It can be frustrating to learn the quirks, buy WOW what a useful tool. Super Cool!

Also everything moves faster and the scroll bars move up and down to the touch on the screen. Very nice improvement. No more hands free command needed for incoming calls.

That's all I could find for now. But I know there is more.

My XTS Platinum is just 2 1/2 weeks old, yet they also changed out the memory seat module. Got my gas tank filled, car washed (even though it was raining), and $50 gift card. Well done Cadillac - except for documentation about what you updated. Why the big secret.

pkadanec
03-11-13, 08:10 PM
Yes, I agree. Maybe codeman can help. Is there somewhere that lists all the fixes/changes that this update addresses?

UPDATE

I just checked on cadillac.com and the old PDF's (and the old screen shots) are still posted.

Yplus
03-12-13, 12:55 PM
Maybe the iPad App is updated to show the updates?

pkadanec
03-12-13, 02:07 PM
Just checked, it is not...

inspectorudy
03-12-13, 02:35 PM
I got my car back today from the update and it is really different than the car I took in. Now for the first time the favorites works the way most of yours has worked all along but mine didn't. There are a lot of subtle changes but not any that will knock your socks off. There is a little NAV icon that stays on the top of the screen as long as the temp menu at the bottom does. In the NAV icon there is now a compass readout that changes with your heading.Also now when you do not have many devices plugged into you system when you select "Media" it does not give you a long list to scroll through but instead says no devices available or some such phrase. The touch screen seems to be more sensitive and responsive than before. The lady showed me how to slide a music selection on the screen over to the DIC screen but I cannot remember hos she did it. They washed and vacuumed my car, filled it up and gave me a $50 gift certificate. I think GM is serious about getting this issue put to rest and it seems to be working. The voice response has been made a little simpler and CUTIE seems to have softened her voice a little as well as her prompts. BTW you will have lost your phone parings but all you have to do is to delete the old Cadillac CUE connection on your phone and then re-install it. They also saved all of my musical favorites but any addresses will have to be entered. On the way home from the dealer's I called OnStar and they re-entered all of them for me. You do have to go to "GO" on each one as it is installed by OnStar to lock it in as a favorite and then call them again for a new address. I hope you all have as much good luck as I have with my upgrade.

RippyPartsDept
03-12-13, 03:43 PM
sounds like most of your issues have been resolved rudy

keep up the critiques ... that's how they'll improve

goddesspt2
03-12-13, 05:27 PM
Hello,
This is my first Cadillac and I have loved the car including the wonderful CUE system. Unfortunately, my first service experience at the dealership was not ideal. I made my initial appointment to take in my car for the CUE update on Friday at 7 am. I was told it would take 2 hours to update. At 7:40, the advisor comes over and tells me that the guys who actually do the CUE update don't "roll in until 8 or 8:30." I was not offered a loaner car, only the shuttle ride home if I wanted to leave. At that point, I just decided to bring it in another day, which was today (made my appointment at 9). I was offered a loaner car this time. It took 6 hours for the update to be completed. When I called at the 5 hour mark to check on the status, I was told that it had about 20 minutes to complete and the technician had written down my presets in order to restore them. I did receive the Visa card and complimentary car wash and vacuum.

As far as the update went:

I had 41 items on my Favs and all but 7 were restored. What didn't restore was personal phone numbers and addresses that I had renamed, POI Category and Playlist names. My POI category of Book Stores now comes up with no bookstores nearby - so hopefully that will correct itself. Luckily, I took a picture of my favorites screen with my iPhone before giving up the car :P

I lost my seat and mirror memory settings - that was probably the biggest pain point.

It remembered my TuneSelect artist - U2 :thumbsup:

It lost the following settings: Auto Memory Recall, Easy Exit Driver, Reverse Tilt Mirror, Unlocked Door Anti-Lockout. Everything else it remembered fine.

The only difference (I think) under Settings was Number of Favorites Shown. I thought it had previously been # of Lines but now it's # of Favorites in increments of 5 up to the 60 total.

As mentioned previously, both the Climate and Nav icons are different. The Nav icon is different on the top menu that pops up when you hover over the CUE screen. It contains your compass heading (picture below) - very nice!!

Also mentioned by others, you have to re-pair any devices after deleting the device from your phone or iPad.

Razlaw
03-12-13, 06:32 PM
I took my XTS in a couple of weeks ago for some updates. When I got it back, the safety alert seat was no longer working, just the audible alert. I went in to the CUE Collision Avoidance menu and there was no option to choose alert type. I just picked the car up from the major CUE update (along with the $50 gift card and full tank of gas) and still no safety alert seat. I talked to the owner of the dealer, they checked two other XTSs they had done the update on and same thing. The ability to turn on the seat alert is gone. Anybody else experienced this?

Yplus
03-13-13, 09:22 AM
Got my ATS back last night. Got in the car, listened to the new CUE sound, kinda neat. Re-paired my iPhone, summoned Siri for directions home and ....... it worked! Then connected the phone via USB and without any delay tapped the CUE voice command and the voice politely (and quickly) asked for my command. I said "Play 2112 by Rush" ... (now at this point the old CUE would wax on poetic about devices initializing and content on that device isn't available blah blah blah) the new CUE, well it said "Play 2112 is that correct? Yes! Yes it is! The the audio system jumps to life.....Whooooshhh (you'd get that last part if you knew 2112). Oh CUE, you are amazing again. The scrolling is actually usable, and I haven't tried any of the swiping to the DIC, but I KNOW my old software never did it. I watched videos, read manuals, and i was never ever to replicate it.

Got my tank filled, a $50 gift card, an extremely nice service manager who apologized in person to me (that wasn't really needed, but it was kinda nice) and pretty much a guarantee that I will consider another Cadillac in the future (but hopefully sooner than 2112).

My extremely short list at this point would be:

1) Siri-Eyesfree support with CUE voice command button (maybe a long press like Siri)
2) GM App Store Icon. (Is this ever going to happen??) so we can get more Apps!

kimobu
03-13-13, 10:48 AM
I got my update yesterday. The responsiveness is way better, but I could do without the new start up tone.

I didn't get a gift card, or a full gas tank. I was even a good guy and filled up the loaner they gave me. Oh well.

Sir CussFreq
03-13-13, 01:52 PM
Just got my ATS back yesterday after getting the CUE update and a few other minor fixes! So far so good, though there is one annoyance that I'd like to report:

When listening to Pandora, if I click over to the Climate Controls (to press Sync, for instance), and then go back to the Audio display, it interrupts my Pandora stream and switches to FM. I have to browse back to Pandora to resume listening (thankfully I have a favorite saved, so I can just hit that button). When you click over to the Audio controls, it shouldn't change what you're listening to.

My XM subscription just expired, so I wasn't able to test if it was a Pandora thing or if it would always go back to FM no matter what source I was on, but I did replicate the behavior several times with Pandora. I haven't tried reconnecting my iPod yet as my understanding is that the indexing has not yet been fixed.

RippyPartsDept
03-13-13, 04:10 PM
just FYI you can call the Cadillac Infotainment Team @ (855)4CUE-NOW (855-428-3669)

these types of 'bugs' and quirks are best reported to that team so that they can log the record of your complain and investigate and begin to work on these issues

the CIT can help with anything from the simple stuff that is (and isn't) covered in the CUE manual to the complex stuff like this

and that phone number is in your CUE manual also in case you forget it

bungee91
03-13-13, 04:51 PM
Just got my ATS back yesterday after getting the CUE update and a few other minor fixes! So far so good, though there is one annoyance that I'd like to report:

When listening to Pandora, if I click over to the Climate Controls (to press Sync, for instance), and then go back to the Audio display, it interrupts my Pandora stream and switches to FM. I have to browse back to Pandora to resume listening (thankfully I have a favorite saved, so I can just hit that button). When you click over to the Audio controls, it shouldn't change what you're listening to.

My XM subscription just expired, so I wasn't able to test if it was a Pandora thing or if it would always go back to FM no matter what source I was on, but I did replicate the behavior several times with Pandora. I haven't tried reconnecting my iPod yet as my understanding is that the indexing has not yet been fixed.

I believe the new software intended Pandora to be out of the audio page, and be accessed only by it's direct app link. I have a Pandora link at the top and always hit that, prior to the update, yes, hitting the audio screen would keep Pandora open. To me the new way makes more sense, as more radio apps become common they're not exactly native audio to Cue, but an additional app that you access with their individual links. This is my thoughts anyway.

cblove
03-13-13, 05:00 PM
Dropped my car off today for the cue upgrade and was provided with following documents of the service updates being performed:

Document id 3291519 #12293 cue system update
Document id 3291720 #13004 front mounted speaker Buzz
Document id 3287531 #12265 radio volume increase
Document id 3287431 #12250 product enhancements interior trim (inspect/repair interior trim)

They are keeping my car for a day or two as they had to order a module of some kind. Meanwhile I was
provided with an XTS premium that had the upgrade and noticed a few of the changes immediately.
Very nice! I won't go into detail because many of the changes have already been mentioned previously.
I will say that letters will be mailed to involved customers in phases and the program is in effect until
March 31st 2015.

I was also informed that the dealership was authorized to fill my tank with up to 15 gallons of fuel and provide me with a $50.00 gift card of some kind.

Sir CussFreq
03-13-13, 07:10 PM
I believe the new software intended Pandora to be out of the audio page, and be accessed only by it's direct app link. I have a Pandora link at the top and always hit that, prior to the update, yes, hitting the audio screen would keep Pandora open. To me the new way makes more sense, as more radio apps become common they're not exactly native audio to Cue, but an additional app that you access with their individual links. This is my thoughts anyway.

If it's an audio application, why would you want it to change your source when you select the Audio page? Are you saying I need to add Pandora as a separate icon in the quicklaunch bar across the top? That would be pretty crappy... If I add several audio apps (ipod, grooveshark, spotify, pandora, soundcloud, etc), with your line of thinking I'd have to add all those icons individually, and clutter up my screen.

CDN XTS
03-13-13, 07:44 PM
bungee91 in his thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/283428-cue-improvement-s-problems-suggestions-march.html listed the Software Version for his ATS as 23150273 after the big CUE update. Can someone with that update for an XTS confirm that she/he has the same version number or report otherwise, given I read on this forum that the CUE systems for the three different Cars with CUE may not identical. Thanks.

cblove
03-13-13, 09:15 PM
According to my cue update document on page 9 of 17 it states:

To ensure the software update was successful, review the main menu symbols and check that the climate control symbol includes a snowflake. Next from the home page, press settings>software information and
check the current software part number. If part number 23150273 for navigation vehicles or 23150271 for non-navigation vehicles, the update was successful.

jeffpaletz
03-13-13, 10:26 PM
I had my CUE update today. Everything works great. The dealer forgot to wash the car and fill the tank and when I asked about the gift card he said he thought it would be coming in the mail. They were very apologetic about forgetting the wash and fill and took care of it right away. I'm wondering if others got the gift card from the dealer or not. The improvements are very nice and the dealer did them all correctly. Does anyone know if the Iphone 5 is supposed to work with CUE to read text messages or is that only on windows phones?

danscrim
03-14-13, 07:18 AM
I'm wondering if others got the gift card from the dealer or not.

I got my gift card from the dealer when I picked the car up and had to sign something saying I got it. Dealer also washed and detailed my car. They topped off the gas but it already at 3/4 tank so it wasn't that much gas.

bungee91
03-14-13, 09:43 AM
If it's an audio application, why would you want it to change your source when you select the Audio page? Are you saying I need to add Pandora as a separate icon in the quicklaunch bar across the top? That would be pretty crappy... If I add several audio apps (ipod, grooveshark, spotify, pandora, soundcloud, etc), with your line of thinking I'd have to add all those icons individually, and clutter up my screen. I'm not saying it's the perfect solution, but I also can't deny their thinking if that's the case. Keep in mind prior to the update when Pandora continued playing in the audio screen, it wasn't a toggle-able selection if you pressed either radio or media multiple times, so in my mind it was never really meant to work the way it did. Yes, I have a dedicated Pandora link at the top of my screen.
I'd love to get some feedback directly from Codeman, or someone from the team, however I would still think it's intentional.

AZCADATS
03-14-13, 10:28 AM
I had my CUE update today. Everything works great. The dealer forgot to wash the car and fill the tank and when I asked about the gift card he said he thought it would be coming in the mail. They were very apologetic about forgetting the wash and fill and took care of it right away. I'm wondering if others got the gift card from the dealer or not. The improvements are very nice and the dealer did them all correctly. Does anyone know if the Iphone 5 is supposed to work with CUE to read text messages or is that only on windows phones?

I did not receive any compensation from my dealer, and I"ve read here were many have. In all fairness to them, I called them up last month to see if the update was ready, and they said they just got the update and I was the first to have it installed. So perhaps they were not yet aware of the gift card and full tank of gas. Now I'm wondering if I should give them a call to find out, or wait and see if I receive anything in the mail.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-14-13, 01:58 PM
I did not receive any compensation from my dealer, and I"ve read here were many have. In all fairness to them, I called them up last month to see if the update was ready, and they said they just got the update and I was the first to have it installed. So perhaps they were not yet aware of the gift card and full tank of gas. Now I'm wondering if I should give them a call to find out, or wait and see if I receive anything in the mail.

AZCADATS, if you're concerned, then I do want to recommend contacting your dealership for further assistance. Thank you for reporting your experience so far, and I hope you'll keep us in the loop!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

CDN XTS
03-14-13, 03:47 PM
According to my cue update document on page 9 of 17 it states:

To ensure the software update was successful, review the main menu symbols and check that the climate control symbol includes a snowflake. Next from the home page, press settings>software information and check the current software part number. If part number 23150273 for navigation vehicles or 23150271 for non-navigation vehicles, the update was successful. Thanks cblove for that info. So based on that 17 page document there will be some documentation with that update. Of course, given us Canadian owners have a "more expensive but degraded" XM system:stirpot: (no weather/traffic - not GM's fault) there may yet be a "third" software number after the big update. Will report back on that, whenever I get my update.

AZCADATS
03-14-13, 06:27 PM
AZCADATS, if you're concerned, then I do want to recommend contacting your dealership for further assistance. Thank you for reporting your experience so far, and I hope you'll keep us in the loop!

Katie

Thanks Katie. Are you able to confirm that in fact all ATS owners are eligible for the gift card and gas when their CUE system is updated?

jeffpaletz
03-14-13, 09:24 PM
My dealer called back today and said that they were supposed to give me the card when I picked up the card so he put it in the mail. It was the first day for the service writer who took care of me. I'm very happy with the upgrade to CUE. It works much faster and is more responsive.

cblove
03-15-13, 03:12 PM
Had the CUE update done. My car has Nav. I checked the setting and software number. I do have snowflake and software id is 23150273.

Can someone who has had the Nav CUE update confirm their map id is 22993553?

BTW, tech was kind enough to save my seat position settings, and my radio presets. Gone was the contact list. I had to do the pairing for my bluetooth as the device was gone. No big deal. Also, seat alert worked fine for the lane departure etc worked fine. I had mentioned that otheres had a problem with loosing the seat alert setting and he said that is identified with the RPO codes the tech uses for the update.

bungee91
03-15-13, 03:38 PM
Had the CUE update done. My car has Nav. I checked the setting and software number. I do have snowflake and software id is 23150273.

Can someone who has had the Nav CUE update confirm their map id is 22993553?

BTW, tech was kind enough to save my seat position settings, and my radio presets. Gone was the contact list. I had to do the pairing for my bluetooth as the device was gone. No big deal. Also, seat alert worked fine for the lane departure etc worked fine. I had mentioned that otheres had a problem with loosing the seat alert setting and he said that is identified with the RPO codes the tech uses for the update.

I'm not sure why it deserves big bold lettering? :thepan:
However, ATS Current version #'s for reference (from my car at least, with all known updates)
Software Version: 23150273

So yes, the info is from this thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/283428-cue-improvement-s-problems-suggestions-march.html

cblove
03-15-13, 04:07 PM
It was important to me. Lol. I wanted to make sure the map was updated. I did not see the thread where this data was referenced. Anyway, my IDs correspond. I thank you for the speedy reply. Btw, I also noticed my previously stored destinations were gone as well. I was given the $50 visa prepaid card, xts loaner, full tank of gas, and a car wash during this service.

vwall
03-15-13, 04:08 PM
I still have not received an update letter in the mail. Can I go ahead and schedule the update with the dealer?

cblove
03-15-13, 04:11 PM
I did not receive the letter and called the dealership. I was scheduled right away.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-15-13, 04:13 PM
Thanks Katie. Are you able to confirm that in fact all ATS owners are eligible for the gift card and gas when their CUE system is updated?

I apologize, AZCADATS, I don't have a list available in my resources of the specific customers receiving this update. Therefore, we do recommend checking in with your dealership on this for further assistance. Thank you for your understanding!

And, as always, don't hesitate to contact the specialized Infotainment Customer Support Group if you have any lingering, CUE-specific questions. Agents are available at 855-428-3669, Monday to Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm EST; Saturday 8:00am - 4pm EST.

Best,

Katie

RippyPartsDept
03-15-13, 04:38 PM
the letters are being sent out in a 'rolling' fashion so the dealers don't get swamped with customers

first sold first serve basis for the scheduling of the notifications

that doesn't mean that you can't get in touch with your dealer (as cblove did) and 'jump the line'

inspectorudy
03-15-13, 06:06 PM
If anyone is having trouble re-pairing your phone I was told that the "Old" CUE connection on your phone had to be eliminated before re-pairing after the update. I did it with no problem but the new paring issues a new PIN number and the old paring has a different number.

ewired
03-15-13, 07:10 PM
just FYI you can call the Cadillac Infotainment Team @ (855)4CUE-NOW (855-428-3669)
Thanks RPD

RippyPartsDept
03-15-13, 07:48 PM
You might want to edit that number there RPD:)
thanks for catching that ... i'm still kind of getting used to GM's use of the 855 numbers
there's actually a typo in the CUE manual on page 3 (the first real page after the index)
it has the last four digits as 3609 ... but in the next line has 3669
so thanks for making me double check and catch that
please edit/update in your post too :)

RxATS
03-17-13, 05:35 PM
I know for a fact that I was the first to buy an ATS from my local dealership back in September but still no letter!?! I'm not sure how many XTS or SRX with CUE they had sold prior to my ATS purchase. Tired of checking the mail everyday hoping for my letter. I guess I will have to make the first move and call them.

Also, I'm a little nervous about letting them wash my car. I'm obsessed with this thing and wash it once a week by hand. Am I being overly paranoid, as I am sure they wash their own inventory on a regular basis? I just don't want any swirls or scratches on my baby. Sorry if this off topic for CUE forum, no reply necessary.

RippyPartsDept
03-18-13, 12:01 AM
Rx,
Call your salesperson or ask for the sales or service manager if they're not available. Just be straight up and let them know you are aware of the update and ask to get it taken care of. Also make your concerns aware about the car wash when the time is right and make your wishes clear when you drop off the car too.

I dont know what your relationship with them is but you can't be too careful when it comes to how you want your car taken care of. After they have proven that you can trust them with how you regard your car and how you expect them to care for your car can you let your guard down and assume they know how to treat it.

skochar22
03-18-13, 12:05 AM
driving on highway going about 65-70 mph. Car starts jerking back and forth and loses power. Drop down to 45-50 mph misfire stops but you can feel the car still has no power. Go to the nearest cadillac dealer, name i wont mention. Was told coil # 3 and spark plug was shot. Got it changed. after the service i noticed the car isnt a 100%. (Only on the highway). Going anywhere from 60-75 mph and releasing the pedal then Lightly giving it gas to speed back up it sort of feels like it has no power and as if the car will misfire again. You can feel it in the engine and the vibrations through the gas pedal? Any suggestions on what to do and check? 61,000 miles. 09 CTS 3.6L AWD

RippyPartsDept
03-18-13, 01:22 AM
Often other coils and/or plugs go bad too. Or you could be low on oil. Did you check the dipstick. Don't assume they did.

Sir CussFreq
03-18-13, 10:23 AM
I'd probably start by posting somewhere other than a CUE thread... :confused:

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-18-13, 11:12 AM
Skochar22, please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like any further assistance along the way! Cadillac Customer Service is always available to step in and follow up with your dealer, if you wish.

Since it's been a few pages since I posted on this thread, I wanted to post the contact information for the specialized Infotainment Customer Support group as well! This way those of you with lingering CUE questions can hopefully find this information more quickly. The agents are available at 855-428-3669, Monday to Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm EST and Saturday 8:00am - 4pm EST.

Best,

Katie

CDN XTS
03-20-13, 10:10 PM
Thanks cblove for that info. So based on that 17 page document there will be some documentation with that update. Of course, given us Canadian owners have a "more expensive but degraded" XM system:stirpot: (no weather/traffic - not GM's fault) there may yet be a "third" software number after the big update. Will report back on that, whenever I get my update. Just received my CUE update 12293 to-day and the 12262 Memory Control Module update. Included was car-wash (have received that anytime I took my STS in for service) and they filled up the car and gave me a fancy Cadillac engraved large metal travel mug (probably the Canadian equivalent of the $50 visa card in the US) and offered a choice of a car rental or Shuttle service back and forth. The Software update numbers are the same in the US and Canada for the 2012 model yeas Cadillac ATS, SRX and XTS being 23150273 for Navigation vehicles and 23150271 for non navigation vehicles. I asked and received the 18 page document ID # 3291519 by cblove thinking that was info relating to what changes were made. It's not. It is just the instruction document to the dealer as to how to perform the update in Canada and the US so of no value to us customers. Have not had any real time to play with it and given my car was built on Jan 10/13 with original Software serial # 23124322, there were probably not quite as many changes as others have reported, e.g. I already had the changed icons (although being in Canada not the weather icon). Nor do I have the Pandora Icon (but that may well be due for not having a smartphone yet - although manual reads "Pandora may not be available in Canada or Mexico"). On the other hand I not only have the Climate Icon but also a R.Climate Icon which I had also before this update. I did try to use the new feature to save the CUE info to a USB stick, (freshly formatted NTFS 32GB) but it didn't work, stating to check whether USB stick has enough space and is not write protected. - Certainly not the latter. I would also assume 32 GB is sufficient. Checking devices CUE does show my SD card AND the USB stick. Any feed back by others on this? Does it only work if indexing is completed? BTW, it still shows my playlists and I can select them from the screen. (haven't tried Voice).

bungee91
03-21-13, 09:14 AM
I did try to use the new feature to save the CUE info to a USB stick, (freshly formatted NTFS 32GB) but it didn't work, stating to check whether USB stick has enough space and is not right protected. - Certainly not the latter I would assume 32 GB is sufficient. Checking devices CUE does show my SD card AND the USB stick. Any feed back by others on this? Does it only work if indexing is completed? BTW, it still shows my playlists and I can select them from the screen. (haven't tried Voice).

I'd try a smaller FAT32 formatted drive and see if you have success.
NTFS is less universally accepted, so I'd assume you'd have better success with FAT/FAT32.
Also 32GB is likely WAY more than enough space for saving that info :)

Hoosier Daddy
03-21-13, 09:34 AM
I'd try a smaller FAT32 formatted drive and see if you have success.
NTFS is less universally accepted, so I'd assume you'd have better success with FAT/FAT32.
Also 32GB is likely WAY more than enough space for saving that info :)
I agree that 32GB is way more than enough space, so I cut my drive in half and it still didn't work. j/k

I'm really posting because this is the first I've heard about a way to save the CUE data. That's a great option! I assume this is a new capability hastened by the fact that dealers had to manually save and restore customer data during the recent updates. Is this ability documented in a revised CUE manual yet? I don't have my car yet so am flying blind.

skochar22
03-21-13, 07:42 PM
Often other coils and/or plugs go bad too. Or you could be low on oil. Did you check the dipstick. Don't assume they did.

Thanks for the tip man

CDN XTS
03-22-13, 09:29 PM
SAVING OF CUE DATA - As to the saving of CUE info I phoned the CDN arm of Cadillac and they took down the info - said someone would phone me. Someone did, just to confirm my experience. Will phone back again to let me know if this is just for GM Tech people. Told her, that unless the USB stick had a special software on it to communicate with CUE, how would CUE know? Anyway they will investigate and phone back. In the meantime I will format as Fat32 and try that. On the other hand I know CUE can handle a USB stick as well as an SD card formatted NTSF as I have tried both types formatted as such and used them to play music via CUE. I assumed that 32GB would be far more than it is needed, but being bigger should not affect the download. After all, if I have a drive 10 or 100 times the size Windows needs to function, it will still install and work. And certainly just to place a copy of a file or files on a medium requires that the medium is large enough to hold the info but being bigger should not be a problem. What may be a problem, (in case it also copies all the all the stuff which is being indexed each time the car is started), that indexing need to have been finished before CUE will copy the data. Then of course the error message given is rather poor. I will report back on this issue once I know more. ----- Sorry about the poor formatting, but I can't anymore use any line formatting functions. Can't even start a new paragraph with the enter key. Used spaces to move this to the next line which may or may not work when viewing by others. As soon as I try any such I receive a Window message from Webpage "Are you sure you wish to leave this page?" May be due to having updated IE9 to IE10 for Windows 7 which may need a corresponding change to the web-page to function as intended under IE10 or I have to change some preferences under IE10 - but why just those line related functions?:confused::confused::confused:

RippyPartsDept
03-22-13, 10:07 PM
i'm pretty sure it's supposed to be for the next time there's a cue update so the techs don't have to manually record and set your settings back after the update

bungee91
03-23-13, 09:06 AM
I'm not saying to use a smaller drive just because. I'm saying use a smaller drive so that it can be a native FAT32 file system. Come to think of it though, I believe you can format a 32GB drive as FAT32 so never mind that comment.
I'm just guessing here, but since CUE has to write to the drive I'd still think of a higher success rate without NTFS.

CDN XTS
03-26-13, 09:00 PM
I tried FAT32 - no joy, so Chris' comment may just be it (GM has not phoned back yet - I guess due to the rather poor documentation in general - my only real complaint) (*)) They don't even know. However, in that case a better programmed "error message" would have been in order. If that is the real answer I'm not sure how such would be controlled - a password or a special communication software on the USB stick which could communicate with CUE? (*) Yes, I know many are too lazy to even read the manuals they have, but when even GM car-dealers and the people at Cadillac we are to contact, don't know, then I consider it a problem, of which this particular rather minor issue is but one.

CDN XTS
04-10-13, 04:18 PM
I tried FAT32 - no joy, so Chris' comment may just be it (GM has not phoned back yet - I guess due to the rather poor documentation in general - my only real complaint) (*)) They don't even know. However, in that case a better programmed "error message" would have been in order. If that is the real answer I'm not sure how such would be controlled - a password or a special communication software on the USB stick which could communicate with CUE? (*) Yes, I know many are too lazy to even read the manuals they have, but when even GM car-dealers and the people at Cadillac we are to contact, don't know, then I consider it a problem, of which this particular rather minor issue is but one. HERE IS A GOOD ONE!!! I received a call back from a Canadian Cadillac Rep. who had checked into this on my behalf. Her feedback was that it was for "European Customers to download info for TAX purposes" and is not meant for Canadian Users. I didn't even ask what type of CUE data would be good for the taxman. She also said it's not readable and cannot be uploaded again to CUE. Stating that the CUE reply doesn't make sense, I was again told it's not for Canadian Users. Well there was no use to talk any further. Well WSUFANS reported in another thread, that he had downloaded the info but preferred it to be in better readable format also asking how it could be uploaded again. So it seems to be the info on how CUE is presently set up as to user preferences, which would make sense, and the reason I was looking forward to use this new feature. ---- But "Tax purposes in Europe". WOW. Will CUE in Europe perhaps record all trips with locations so people claiming taxable expenses have proof of trips they can deduct from tax returns, or what? As said I didn't even dare to ask a further question on that. So, given this "official" reply, I sure hope someone from CUE can clearly outlined the use of the new programme line available in CUE after the update. And if this official reply is correct, make changes to the CUE response when trying to download data.

CDN XTS
05-12-13, 06:10 PM
Further to my last two posts. I received a call from GM Canada about 2 weeks after my CUE update, offering me a choice of 2 months extra OnStar, more minutes on OnStar or $50. choose the latter (so Canadians do get that $50. too - if it ever comes now some 4 weeks later LOL). Anyway asked him about that copying of CUE data to USB stick. He said a legal difference between CAN and US. Well just had the car in for some other issue and the CUE technician also downloaded some other CUE updates which didn't change the software numbers, but now my download to USB stick worked. So much for the original official reason I was given for not working. Looking at it, it is just info as to the versions of what is presently on CUE, not just those Numbers which appear on the screen but also other modules info. Not any info on the customer optional programming so of no real benefit to us customers, nor to the service people doing an update to quickly record and perhaps re-install customer setups as assumed by other posters.

CDN XTS
05-22-13, 03:31 AM
Further to my last two posts. I received a call from GM Canada about 2 weeks after my CUE update, offering me a choice of 2 months extra OnStar, more minutes on OnStar or $50. choose the latter (so Canadians do get that $50. too - if it ever comes now some 4 weeks later LOL). Anyway asked him about that copying of CUE data to USB stick. He said a legal difference between CAN and US. Well just had the car in for some other issue and the CUE technician also downloaded some other CUE updates which didn't change the software numbers, but now my download to USB stick worked. So much for the original official reason I was given for not working. Looking at it, it is just info as to the versions of what is presently on CUE, not just those Numbers which appear on the screen but also other modules info. Not any info on the customer optional programming so of no real benefit to us customers, nor to the service people doing an update to quickly record and perhaps re-install customer setups as assumed by other posters. N.B. Still not received the promised $50.00 though. Well, I guess I forget about that as I don't have the name of the person who phoned me and offered it.

rage2021
06-02-13, 11:17 PM
How is everyone finding the CUE responsiveness and usability after the update? Does it still need major improvements?

NJRonbo
06-03-13, 09:09 AM
As long as the system does not cache all my information, then the response is a hearty YES.

Still needs improvement.

TimTown
06-04-13, 12:06 PM
How is everyone finding the CUE responsiveness and usability after the update? Does it still need major improvements?

Surely you joke. How about treating CUE software like software companies do for their installed base for publishing release numbers, automatically notifying you of an update, bugs fixed, features added, known problems, user or CUE auto downloading and installing updates w/o the incredibly bureaucratic GM/Dealer overhead? What's WRONG WITH GM NOT TO RECOGNIZE the obvious cost/benefit to GM AND the increase of customer satisfaction in using the practices so common in the S/W industry? Even my Denon Blu-Ray player updates itself with NO user intervention!! Need we elaborate?

GM has not responded to these points raised by me and others before. What's your response GM?:banghead:

RippyPartsDept
06-04-13, 12:24 PM
i think it has to do with the fact that the software is tied into a moving object that basically is a missile

can your denon bluray player kill someone who's walking across the street? no ... can your XTS4 Platinum? yes

therein lies the difference

bungee91
06-04-13, 01:38 PM
It also has a lot to do with a high probability of breaking the system!
From what I've heard an update can take something like 4 hours. Being that the case a maintainer or charger is probably advised to be put onto the battery for the update.
Now I have NO idea why any update/rewrite with reasonably current hardware would ever take that long, but that seems to be the case.

I also think of all the people who installed an aftermarket tune on their vehicles and clearly missed the well documented step of "make sure the vehicle is in service mode and not accessory mode by holding the start button for 5+ seconds, etc..." and then freaked out when their car didn't start. Considering that's a very small user base and an optional thing to install, updating CUE incorrectly would likely be a nightmare for GM at this point.

Anyhow I'm not condoning GM's lack of functionality for the end user, and also think an update shouldn't take as long as it supposedly is taking to apply, however in the current constraints of that I agree with the dealerships doing the updating.

wrtxts
06-04-13, 07:03 PM
I'm enjoying my $50 gift card, free loaner, free premium car wash coupon, and free tank of gas for my "inconvenience" of having to drop off my car at the dealership!

flying fossil
06-12-13, 04:30 PM
How does one determine/verify the cue software status of their car?

danscrim
06-12-13, 08:38 PM
How does one determine/verify the cue software status of their car?

You can go into Settings -> Software Version (or something like that) and see which version you have. Then compare to others that are on this thread.

The quick way, however, to check if you have the latest version is to look at the Climate Control button. Does it look like a snowflake with red/blue around it? Or does it look the sitting person icon? The sitting person is old, the snowflake is new.

pissedoffwookiee
06-13-13, 10:09 PM
Surely you joke. How about treating CUE software like software companies do for their installed base for publishing release numbers, automatically notifying you of an update, bugs fixed, features added, known problems, user or CUE auto downloading and installing updates w/o the incredibly bureaucratic GM/Dealer overhead? What's WRONG WITH GM NOT TO RECOGNIZE the obvious cost/benefit to GM AND the increase of customer satisfaction in using the practices so common in the S/W industry? Even my Denon Blu-Ray player updates itself with NO user intervention!! Need we elaborate?

GM has not responded to these points raised by me and others before. What's your response GM?:banghead:

The cars do in fact do this, what may not be commonly known is that prior to the major CUE and vehicle update (which is why it took so long to perform and required a dealer visit) there was a minor update that took place. My dealer had to make sure all their XTS and ATS models were out in the open and not indoors or in service bays for about two weeks, and they had to start the cars and let them run 5 or so minutes every 2 or three days to make sure they all had active links to the mother ship in order for each car to download the update. I'm betting thats how future updates are going to happen, this last one had a car update in it too. XTS update took upwards of 2 days to perform.

NJRonbo
06-14-13, 03:07 AM
The engineers that came down to my dealership explained to me that updates would probably not be done via owner download because there were several risks involved with that process. One of the risks would be having to keep the vehicle running and having a driver turn his vehicle off in the middle of a download, or having an update occur while driving or when someone needs to drive.

The impression I received is that OTA updates would not be offered for CUE and that drivers would continue to have to bring their vehicles in for service.

Chuck_S
11-12-13, 11:50 AM
My 2013 SRX is:
Software: 21350273

I have a Samsung Galaxy Appeal and I keep getting the Device is Initializing message.

georule
11-12-13, 01:12 PM
My local dealer "bricked" my CUE yesterday trying to reload the software. They have to get a new one from Cadillac and install it, which obviously is a bit of an owie to GM's warranty costs. So, yeah, there are risks. :) Maybe as the software and software team matures they can get there.

inspectorudy
11-12-13, 01:14 PM
I do not believe there is any safety function or car driving control system controlled by CUE. So if it fails which it has many times for many of us there is no loss of safety involved. I believe it is called an "Infotainment" system along with some convenience control items that are not required for driving. They cannot use this as an excuse to not allow the owners to upgrade their own cars with a caveat about damaging it and that the owner is responsible for any problems related to the installation. With the amount of building anger and resentment from owners over this betrayal by GM I cannot imagine that this has been put on the back burner by management. The ill will they are causing is going to be hard for them to overcome at some point. I hope they get this message and give us a break.

georule
11-12-13, 01:41 PM
Depends on where you live, I suppose. Not having climate control would be a safety issue some places some times of year. My Minnesota dealer didn't even try to give me the car back with a dead CUE in November (a XTS Luxury loaner is comforting me until my new CUE is installed in my SRX).

It's also worth remembering that literally *every* CUE on the road is under warranty at this point. This probably has some impact on GM's willingness to engage in such experiments.

Russianhaxor
11-19-13, 01:15 PM
It's really sad that we're here more than 6 months later and CUE is basically in the same state it was since I got my car in April.

suzesq
12-02-13, 04:26 PM
They do not call it GOVERNMENT MOTORS for nothing!

RippyPartsDept
12-02-13, 05:23 PM
actually THEY don't call it that at all ...

suzesq
12-03-13, 04:59 PM
Guess I hit a nerve there...........

RippyPartsDept
12-03-13, 05:15 PM
ok so it depends on your definition of "they" but with the US Treasury holding about 7% of GM's stock (and not really ever having any influence on the business after the bankruptcy) that "attack" just seems cheap, immature, and slightly disingenuous

in a few more months the US Treasury will hold 0% of GM's stock ... will you still call it Government Motors then?

and before anyone mentions it: so what if the bailout didn't get fully paid back? isn't that the point of a bailout in the first place? in the end it looks like it will have cost about $10bln to save not just GM but a whole economy of businesses that are ancillary to GM ... if GM had been allowed to fail there would have been massive issues ... why would the financially sound Ford urge Congress to save its rivals? Ford might have gone bankrupt after the suppliers went under ...

it was estimated that bailing out GM and Chrysler saved 1.5mil US jobs ... that's a lot of jobs ... and in the end it cost $10bil ?? drop in the budgetary bucket

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2b/U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2011.png/800px-U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2011.png

inspectorudy
12-03-13, 05:25 PM
Wow!
"ok so it depends on your definition of "they" but with the US Treasury holding about 7% of GM's stock (and not really ever having any influence on the business after the bankruptcy) that "attack" just seems cheap, immature, and slightly disingenuous".
Where are the moderators when we need them? You hit a nerve Suze! I've heard "Government Motors since the '50's and it never had anything to do with the bailout. The bailout was only the ice cream on the pie.

RippyPartsDept
12-03-13, 05:34 PM
They do not call it GOVERNMENT MOTORS for nothing!

they do not?
then why do they call it GOVERNMENT MOTORS?

suzesq
12-05-13, 04:20 PM
Was that written by the SEIU?

RippyPartsDept
12-05-13, 04:41 PM
what's that supposed to mean?

inspectorudy
12-05-13, 05:34 PM
Pour yourself a nice cold martini and chill out with the over-the-top defense of GM. They are having a good year so be happy. They have turned out some of the worst vehicles on the planet and some of the best but they are not Olympus. I have always looked at them as I would a major league baseball or football team. You love 'em sometimes and other times not so much. Now they are on a roll with some leading autos but if they stay true to form they will piss off a whole bunch of customers before they realize it. Lets all hope they react differently this time.

RippyPartsDept
12-06-13, 09:55 AM
i'm not defending GM
i'm not the one spouting the "Govt Motors" BS
i'm just trying to disseminate facts to help people understand how ridiculous they sound when they say that kind of stuff

georule
12-06-13, 10:47 AM
Of course, it wasn't *just* GM and Chrysler that got funds in that period. And if you don't cherry-pick the numbers, the entire program is almost certainly going to end up in profit before it is done, even without counting all the jobs saved and tax income from them. It isn't there yet, but the experience with Fannie and Freddie make this an almost certainty.

http://projects.propublica.org/bailout/

inspectorudy
12-06-13, 10:53 AM
You guys just are fixated on the bail out. I have heard the term "Government Motors" since I was a kid in the '50's. It had nothing to do with the bail out. As to a profit for the government it has already been established that the US gov. will lose about $10 billion on the deal after all its holdings are sold. It doesn't matter what happens to GM after that, but the gov will not get all of its money back. Period. (I like to use that word now that it is ok to do so)

RippyPartsDept
12-06-13, 11:31 AM
we're fixated on the bailout? you're trying to deflect and defend others who are fixated on the bailout
and just because you don't equate the term with the bailout doesn't mean that other people using it don't
they mostly are making a snide and ignorant comment (or being disingenuous as I said earlier)

and because the term has been in use for a long time makes it okay?
i can think of quite a few terms that have been in use for a long time that are frowned upon by most sensible people
some of them centuries old

and as I said before and as georule also just said: if the cost of saving a large part of the US economy was $10bil I think we got off pretty cheap
that's one day's worth of the federal budget (basically) ... you wouldn't spend 1/365th of the federal yearly budget to save 1.5mil jobs?

my main point again is to illustrate how ridiculous people sound when they say "government motors"

if you can explain to me how it isn't ridiculous then I'm all ears but saying that you've heard it since the 50's just isn't going to cut it

suzesq
12-08-13, 10:48 AM
This reminds me of the Abbott and Costello Niagara Falls skit.

inspectorudy
12-08-13, 12:40 PM
Or the famous "Who's on first" skit.

georule
12-08-13, 07:27 PM
This reminds me of the Abbott and Costello Niagara Falls skit.

"Sloooowly, I turned. . .!"