: Headlight resealing

Carvone
01-16-13, 03:22 PM
For the ones that have resealed their headlight housings.....what did you use to seal them?

I did both housings early last year and one of them is leaking again, full of condensation inside. I used a marine grade silicon that was supposed to stay somewhat pliable, apparently it must have shrunk in this Florida sun and started leaking again. Anyway, I am planning on doing it again and was curious what you guys use? and if you have seen good results?

Thanks.

BaTu
01-16-13, 07:58 PM
I used a Permatex Silicone Windshield sealer, like any other clear silicone but "runny", and haven't had any issues after 3-4yrs.

tbreezy
01-18-13, 06:28 PM
I used a Permatex Silicone Windshield sealer, like any other clear silicone but "runny", and haven't had any issues after 3-4yrs.

What parts of the housing did you seal?! Looking to seal mine and needed some insight.

1BadCadSTS
01-18-13, 07:08 PM
Not really that hard. Any place 2 different plastics meet seal it...

LAC_STS
01-18-13, 08:01 PM
I did both of mine 2 years ago with just quality clear silicone. I dont see any need to use 3M 5200 (marine stuff) or anything like that.

The key is to seal everywhere. Seal anywhere there is a chance water could get in. On my lights I put a small bead in the crack on the dust covers. And then I sealed where the front headlight lens meets the headlight housing.

If you look at the headlight you can see around the edges there is a rubber seal that is supposed to seal the lens to the housing. On my headlights the seal had shrunk and therefore was letting water in.

tbreezy
01-18-13, 08:18 PM
If you look at the headlight you can see around the edges there is a rubber seal that is supposed to seal the lens to the housing. On my headlights the seal had shrunk and therefore was letting water in.[/QUOTE]

That's this is exactly where I was looking to seal but I was debating if I wanted to separate the lens from the housing (if possible) and seal around the rubber and put it back together or just do like you are suggesting and apply a bead of silicone around the cracks where the lens and housing meet.

LAC_STS
01-18-13, 09:57 PM
I forget but a while ago I looked up separating the lens from the housing. If I remember correctly you would have to hear the whole assy up in order to seperate them.

I wouldn't.

tbreezy
01-18-13, 10:23 PM
I'll be taking this job on tomorrow after I get some silicone to seal it with. Will post how it goes.

LAC_STS
01-18-13, 11:19 PM
Make sure you get all of the moisture out of the headlight before you seal it. You don't want any moisture trapped in there.

You can use a hair dryer or a heat gun (very carefully) to help speed the drying process up.