: TPMS for 1956 Coupe de Ville??

Dollar Bill
01-16-13, 09:25 AM
I am changing all four tires on my CDV from bias ply to WW Radials. While they are off, i was thinking about having aftermarket TPMS installed. I have had slow leaks on my other cars and want to find a way to better monitor air pressure.

Any ideas? Particular aftermarket kits you might recommned?

bigm57ict
01-16-13, 10:29 AM
Why do you want to change them? I know the radials ride better, but they will look different.
When I bought my '57 Mercury, it had radials on it. After switching to bias plys, the car just looked better. It had the proper stance. Of course, I'm a bit of a stickler for originality.

carnut
01-16-13, 11:30 AM
On my daughters first car, I installed valve stem caps that read the pressure by either being green or red on the stem. She not having any car sense or a way to check them found it easy to just glance at each wheel. Cost maybe 10 dollars.

Dollar Bill
01-16-13, 03:37 PM
Why do you want to change them? I know the radials ride better, but they will look different.
When I bought my '57 Mercury, it had radials on it. After switching to bias plys, the car just looked better. It had the proper stance. Of course, I'm a bit of a stickler for originality.

This car is a driver, not a show car, so I don't care about the bias ply, and the DOT numbers show they were made in 1983.

I like originality also, but have safety issues with these tires.

I have a set of Diamondbacks just made with the correct 3" whitewalls and the huge majority of people won't know the difference. The bias ply don't handle as well as the radials, and are not meant for sustained expressway useage.

----------

On my daughters first car, I installed valve stem caps that read the pressure by either being green or red on the stem. She not having any car sense or a way to check them found it easy to just glance at each wheel. Cost maybe 10 dollars.

I have seen these! But forgot about them. I will get some. Excellent idea! Thank you very much!

carnut
01-18-13, 10:00 AM
You can usually find them at a truck stop retail store.