: Got codes. Any bets on the dealer action taken?

Ludacrisvp
01-15-13, 06:18 PM
Car left at dealer january 7th @ 3pm.
Loaner car received (2013 impala ltz w/ v6 vvt)

The next day I called dealer @ 5pm since I had not heard anything from them yet. They provided me the codes below at my request. They said they were still working on it and ended call.

Today the (15th) they called me saying they have about 3.5 hours into diagnosis time but haven't repaired / replaced anything.

My reasons for visiting are the long standing speed limited to 120mph message, adaptive cruise disabling often (showing "radar cruise not ready" on DIC), loose feeling front end over bumps (described here as likely lower control arm bushings), unable to passively enter car on passenger side, transmission acting odd as if torque converter is staying locked too long when around 45mph when you get back on the throttle it seems to kick into gear kinda hard.

U2122 - (loss of communication with radio) they ignore it, to me no big deal.

p0174 - lean bank 2 ... They aren't concerned claiming bad gas likely. Not sure how I feel about this one.

C0179 system Thermal high - excessive braking / tcs application. No big deal to them or me.

B3120 keyless entry antenna 2 performance (shorted to ground or short to battery or open) - this prevents passive entry to passenger door while locked with fob in range. They were unable to reproduce issue - until I stopped in today and showed them directly what it's doing (now they claim they will take another look at it tomorrow) so they haven't done any testing with it. They have 2 options for this fault replace RCDLR or the right front door handle assembly.

B3794 - cruise control function request circuit. They are unable to reproduce issue. For me it happens almost daily causing me to restart the car to get cruise back. There is a 10 step procedure listed for this DTC that says what to do. Depending on what passes / fails they are to replace all or some of these components: BCM, IPM, multifunction switch. They are unwilling to do anything as they cannot reproduce this issue.

Now on top of all this I have a valid service contract that they sell that covers almost everything under the sun less typical maintenance / wear items (it has replaced one MRC shock already and the PPS)

Their big saying is what happens after we replace all of these things and either it still doesn't fix it or it happens again in the future. They don't want to go to the service contract company too many times and end up with a "mis-diagnosis".

Am I wrong in thinking that they should just do the tests and follow the replacements that GM said to do?

Ludacrisvp
01-15-13, 06:24 PM
Forgot to mention they think the front end might be a wheel bearing starting to go bad but they couldn't find any other issues in the front end.

Unable to reproduce anything transmission shifting related / no codes.

Unable to reproduce anything related to speed limited message / no codes.

ddalder
01-15-13, 07:30 PM
Guess work is unacceptable from a Cadillac dealership working on a Cadillac (I'm assuming you did take it to a Cadillac dealer). They are supposed to have the equipment, training and access to the Technical Assistance Center to figure these things out. They don't want to go to the service contract too many times for a misdiagnosis tells me they are not confident in their work. I can understand having problems diagnosing intermittent problems, but some of these don't seem to fall into this category. Be persistent.

Ludacrisvp
01-15-13, 08:02 PM
Guess work is unacceptable from a Cadillac dealership working on a Cadillac (I'm assuming you did take it to a Cadillac dealer). They are supposed to have the equipment, training and access to the Technical Assistance Center to figure these things out. They don't want to go to the service contract too many times for a misdiagnosis tells me they are not confident in their work. I can understand having problems diagnosing intermittent problems, but some of these don't seem to fall into this category. Be persistent.
The dealer says they have spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Techline about the car, with little (no) success.

In my case its a GM Chevy dealer; I have been with them for about 8 years for my service on my Monte and the Deville I had before the STS they seemed capable for those vehicles and my parents have done well with their 2 SRXs with them (and a handfull of other Chevys in the past).

I have tried 3 other dealers already with this car (2 being Cadillac Dealers (Bob Ryan Cadillac, Morries Cadillac) and Gould Chevrolet - now cornerstone).

--
Ryan's is close by (7 mile 1-way) and actively refused to perform a simple task on my Deville (Programming my name into the instrument cluster).
My family has collectively purchased 4 lease return vehicles from them in the last 10 years, my monte carlo was from there actually and my parents 06 SRX.
Their service center is just plain lazy

They claimed Programming my name into the instrument cluster was impossible on the Deville DTS and was only available on the Seville STS claiming it was a misprint in the Owners Manual; they wouldn't even try.
(I took it to a chevy dealer the same day (Goulds) and they did it for free on the spot. Which has changed owners since this experience (now cornerstone) and I have tried them as recently as earlier this month.)
When I had hit a deer late last year and clipped off my driver side mirror and ended up buying a new mirror from Rippy that ended up having a poor reflection (it looked like there was a prism in the glass so everything was severely distorted at night) they did not want to honor new GM parts warranty on just the mirror glass, I had to show up and bug them several times to get anywhere with them. Leaving a 3rd sour taste in my mouth from them in recent years. (2nd being a big issue in how some of the IOUs were handled in conjunction with parents SRX purchase, not to mention a Ford Escape loaner car from a caddy dealer where a caddy was purchased and work needed to be done as part of a sales deal ... to me that loaner should have been a caddy, or at the very least a GM product!)

--
Gould/Cornerstone (1 mile away)

I stopped in while the car had the message on the dash of "RADAR CRUISE NOT READY" and kept it running so that someone could read the code while it was "live" to know for sure (as the speed limited message doesn't seem to leave a code and once the car is re-started the cruise works again most of the time so I didn't want to chance it). This was early afternoon mid week and there were a few people standing around in the service area but they were unable to read the code for me as 'they were too busy' and wanted to schedule a return appointment for the middle of the following week. Someone could have walked back and grabbed a Tech-2 for a few minutes and read the code, it is not hard. I am *really* annoyed that the STS doesn't have the built in code reader of the previous gen did, it also lacks the 'snapshot' feature to aid in diagnostics.

--
Morries Cadillac (formerly Anderson Cadillac) (about 45 miles 1-way)

I stopped in (called ahead even) and they wanted 1.5 hours of labor upfront @ about $150/hr just to look into the speed limited message and when I mentioned a service contract they seemed annoyed but said 'We don't care who its through as long as they will pay CC by phone'. they just had an overall stuck up ******* like attitude. I was surprised as when my parents picked up their 04 SRX from Anderson at the time (same building) the sales and service team seemed top-notch, they even provided a loaner car while some IOUs were taken care of ... a 2005 DHS with all the trimmings (no night vision though), and the loaner is the reason I bought my Deville DTS just based on how the DHS was. This time it was like we don't care just pay us or leave.
---
/End rant.

Perhaps in the end I'll have to give Ryan's another shot? maybe Morries as they did have about 8 STSs in the service bay when I was in there and another pulled in behind me when I got there. I had never seen so many STSs in one place aside from when they were all brand new on the sales floor, and even then they were not that common.

ddalder
01-15-13, 09:35 PM
It doesn't sound like you've had a very good time. I've had similar experiences with many dealerships and there are very few I'll take my personal vehicles to. I've never had a car with the code reader display, but I do understand reasons GM may have eliminated it. As you know, codes can be symptoms of a related, but indirect problem. People who don't understand how to properly diagnose problems will focus on the code and chase a problem that may not exist. I'm sure GM and their service departments had a lot of headaches brought about by customers who bought parts they didn't need, disagreed with the diagnosis of a technician or insisted on service that wasn't necessary.

My mom drives a 2008 Enclave. This is one very interesting vehicle. She was experiencing an intermittent rough idle that set the MIL. I scanned it with my Tech2 and found numerous codes including a misfire in two different cylinders, air bag codes, miscellaneous communications codes and a few others. Since they had recently changed the timing chain, I suspected a wiring harness under the hood may have been damaged or a connector may not have been reseated correctly. I took it back and they said it just needed a fuel system/emissions service. This really had me scratching my head. Yes, for the misfire I could understand. It just didn't make sense for codes in all the other unrelated systems. They told me they have no explanation, but hers was one of many they have seen with this very same set of problems/symptoms. I have an excellent relationship with this dealer and send them >$100K of business annually through my workplace so I'm confident they were not just trying to get a few bucks out of me. Sure enough, emissions service was done (under base warranty) and there has never been another problem since, nor any erroneous codes. Software can be a very unpredictable beast.

I hope you're able to get these problems resolved soon :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-16-13, 12:04 PM
Ludacrisvp, I'm sorry to hear you've been so frustrated with your service and vehicle concerns! It certainly sounds like you haven't had a positive experience, so I would be happy to look into the matter further for you to investigate. Have you contact our Customer Assistance Center hotline at any point?

Please email me anytime with your full name and the last eight of your VIN, and I can explore your best next steps with you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Ludacrisvp
01-16-13, 09:26 PM
Minor update.

Dealer is waiting to order door handle assembly until we can get the cruise under control. (no pun intended)

Once I showed the tech exactly how the door handle works he was able to figure it out. They will replace handle. The person who explained the issue to the tech said the door wouldn't open when you unlocked it with the fob. Not the passive entry system.

As far as the cruise goes their main complaint is that it was a history code not "current". I stopped in today to take the car home with a device to do a snapshot but the device wouldn't program to my car so we went with drive it until message is on (no big deal as once it's on it stays until car restarted). So I leave dealer and start playing with the cruise and about 1/2 mile from dealer it comes on and cruise died; so I turn around and they plug in the tech 2 and still no "current" codes. Supposedly the person that wrote up the service call put down the speed error message as the reason for the cruise not working, apparently completely missing the "radar cruise not ready" message. So the tech line claims that you cannot engage the cruise when speed is over 90mph. So they were apparently trying to diagnose an inaccurate problem. Supposedly now that they have the right error message they will do some research and get back to me hopefully tomorrow.
As of now I have my car, they have not replaced / repaired anything and they have not asked for any payment until they get the right diagnosis.

So I'll keep anyone in the loop as it goes down.

Ludacrisvp
01-19-13, 03:15 PM
So for now the dealers advice is just to not use my cruise as much. They said it is likely disabled because the car thinks someone is messing with it like a kid was messing with it so it was disabled. I call bullshit on this. They say I should only use my cruise one time per trip. The service tech is saying explicitly that he is "not going to throw any parts at it". The radar unit is not showing the clean radar message ever so it's not dirty and I keep the caddy logo clean on the grill so that shouldn't be affecting it either.

ddalder
01-19-13, 03:30 PM
Wow, I wonder how long it took for their service personnel to dream up that one? I'm sure you're as insulted as I would be if anyone every actually expected I might believe such nonsense. Mine has been covered in snow and ice, mud and dirt and I've never received that error message. I do leave mine on all the time so that the frontal crash alert system is active. It definitely sounds like this technician is in way over his/her head. Kind of like the Cadillac dealership that told me the lane departure warning system "goes through the outside mirrors". Guess they didn't read the FSM either.

As I recall, there was another member on here that had the same message you you're getting. They had difficulty determining why, but once the radar head was replaced, the problem was solved.

EChas3
01-19-13, 07:49 PM
Have you spoken with the service manager? If they don't want to work on it, take it to someone that will.

Ludacrisvp
01-19-13, 08:13 PM
Have you spoken with the service manager? If they don't want to work on it, take it to someone that will.

The advisor I'm seeing is their head advisor that I've personally been dealing with for close to 10 years now. I haven't gone over his head just yet as they claim they are still researching this. I'll call / stop in on Monday for an update and if there isn't progress by Tuesday I'll be looking at his boss to make it right. Since it will be 2 weeks on Tuesday that they have had the codes it's leaving.

Ludacrisvp
01-19-13, 08:19 PM
Wow, I wonder how long it took for their service personnel to dream up that one? I'm sure you're as insulted as I would be if anyone every actually expected I might believe such nonsense. Mine has been covered in snow and ice, mud and dirt and I've never received that error message. I do leave mine on all the time so that the frontal crash alert system is active. It definitely sounds like this technician is in way over his/her head. Kind of like the Cadillac dealership that told me the lane departure warning system "goes through the outside mirrors". Guess they didn't read the FSM either.

As I recall, there was another member on here that had the same message you you're getting. They had difficulty determining why, but once the radar head was replaced, the problem was solved.

Yeah I was like "yeah I'm sure that's what it is since kids drive these cars all the time and the cruise is in such an easy place for them to mess with." quite annoyed / insulted by it. When I was on the phone with them on my way in to hear this excuse they said you can just turn off the radar cruise option and run regular cruise instead. How hard is it to understand when I say the cruise is completely disabled when this happens means that the cruise is disabled when this happens? They won't even consider replacing the multi function lever that is what like a $50 part ... I can't imagine what that will say if I suggest to replace what's likely a $1k part being the radar unit ... And then hope that they align it properly too.

EChas3
01-19-13, 08:41 PM
I think both parts cost twice your estimate but why should they care? Cadillac, GM or the extended warranty underwriter foots the bill. If they are afraid of looking bad then they are unprofessional incompetent cowards.

Just be pleasant and persistent. If they can't fix it, go elsewhere. Once the claim is on file, you can still take it elsewhere and have it covered.

Ludacrisvp
01-23-13, 04:27 PM
Stopped in today to see if they had any ideas. No progress made by them during this time. Had them re-scan my car for codes and told them that others have replaced the radar unit for this issue.

New codes:
DTC U2144 00
Lost Communication With Distance Sensing Cruise Control (DSCC) Module

Also an unrelated lean code from both banks at idle the other day.

They claim they will look into this new code.

Ludacrisvp
02-05-13, 03:30 PM
Another update:

I told Miller that I was going to take it to another dealer and the time / labor they did was on them since they effectively refused to fix anything.
They did not do any work on the car just lots of 'diagnostic time'. Still wondering if I will see a bill from them.

---
Dropped the car off at Ryan Cadillac in Buffalo Monday night (hoping that my experience with them will improve compared to previous engagements with them).
Received a 2013 Malibu Hybrid loaner ... interesting car but not something I would buy exactly.

Just got off the phone with them for the things that need to be replaced:

Both front MRC struts (one will be under parts warranty from previous replacement) - Both are leaking bad enough to replace ... wtf? just replaced one not that long ago.
Passenger Door handle - bad antenna
Cruise Control MultiFunction Lever (was previously replaced during sales agreement during purchase of car) - past parts warranty for miles
MAF - this is apparently causing my car to run lean in both banks

---
The service contract company wants to use aftermarket parts for all of this.
(I wasn't aware of aftermarket MRC struts nor was the service guy but they were able to confirm they are available for about $350 each for the front AWD model)
service company is refusing to paint the door handle.

Ryan's said I can pay the difference to get OEM parts instead as the service contract wants aftermarket for all of the parts.
So it should run me about $275 on top of the $100 deductible to get all OEM parts.

---
They are 'blaming' the speed limited message on:

DTC C0228
Left Rear ABS Channel in Release Too Long

This code is set when the following criteria are met:

The EBCM is commanding a valve solenoid to release brake pressure.
The wheel that is commanded to release brake pressure has a speed less than 5 km/h (3 mph) for 1.25 seconds.

who knows if that was the case or not.

-------------------

Seems really odd to me that the replacement front strut went bad so fast when it was supposedly OEM.
But now I'll have 2 new front struts instead of just the one.
When they get it apart they will also look into replacement of the top strut mount bearing plate (supposedly they are $270 each) if they are needed to be done they will try to get service contract to take care of them too.

I think that once this work is all done I will be at about the break even money point on the service contract for all the work done on the car.

I should have the car back by Friday at the latest all ready to go. They are also replacing my fog lamps that keep burning out. (3rd set since I got the car)
He said that dealer replaced lamps are covered under the 12m 12000miles parts so if they go out again in that time they will warranty replace them.

Ludacrisvp
02-05-13, 11:42 PM
Thinking about the fact that it needs both front struts now makes me wonder if the fact that I have the suspension in performance mode 95% of the time makes them wear faster.

EChas3
02-05-13, 11:51 PM
I'd be surprised if the setting matters much. Based on member reports, they typically start going bad around 80,000 miles.

What's with the foglights? I've yet to have a bulb go bad!

Ludacrisvp
02-06-13, 10:15 AM
I'd be surprised if the setting matters much. Based on member reports, they typically start going bad around 80,000 miles.
Just seems odd is all that one strut that was replaced in september with maybe 5k miles on it is bad already.

Wish I knew what the deal was with the fogs. Both caddys that I have had seem to eat fog lamps like they are going out of style.
It was the main reason i went HID fogs in the DTS as they hardly ever burn out.
I am debating / planning on retro'ing some better fog projectors (considering Morimoto Mini-H1 bi-xeon and integrating it with the high-beams too) and go HID for them and never deal with it again.

carter's_sts
02-07-13, 09:59 AM
You realize you just cursed yourself.

Ludacrisvp
02-07-13, 10:32 AM
You realize you just cursed yourself.

My thoughts exactly.

EChas3
02-07-13, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I'm already on borrowed time; the wife's car, too!

Ludacrisvp
02-09-13, 09:39 PM
The cars's ride has improved in my opinion. Kind of makes me wonder if the RF strut was really replaced in September. There is a notable change in ride between touring and performance now. My speed limited message came up twice today. So I stopped in and the abs code was in history again and lean bank 1 as well. I'll drop it off again on Monday and they'll take a look at it. They even said if its something that goes to the service contract they will cover the deductible for it.

EChas3
02-09-13, 10:10 PM
The ABS code could be leading to the speed limited message. I'd expect a recommendation to replace the wheel speed sensor or related brake hardware.

Ludacrisvp
02-15-13, 11:37 AM
They replaced the EBCM for the speed limited message. However now my check engine light is on now. So I haven't had it long enough to know if that fixed it. In the last 6 weeks or so I've had my car for maybe 2 of those weeks ... Feels like I have a Range Rover based on how often I hear they are at the dealer. One could argue this is bad but in my mind the issues it has been having are mostly minor and can or would be ignored by other people. I just like to keep my cars in perfect operation as if they were new. All features must work that the car came with otherwise I'm annoyed by it.

So back to the dealer I go for the CEL. I assume its lean code again but who knows.

The EBCM job was about $1200 I paid nothing (dealer covered service contract deductible since it was in so recently) if the speed limited message comes up again they will replace the BPMV which runs about the same price.

carter's_sts
02-16-13, 12:22 AM
Same here. Cosmetic wise too. I don't even want to know the total amount I've spent having minor body work done on cars over the years. Not to mention fixing minor cosmetic things in the cabin. You wouldn't believe how much that trim around the Nav on the STS costs (-:

I just like to keep my cars in perfect operation as if they were new. All features must work that the car came with otherwise I'm annoyed by it.

Ludacrisvp
02-16-13, 12:58 PM
So code shows both banks lean again.
Dealer re-torqued the intake bolts when they did the EBCM. They are thinking the intake gasket may have been weak / on the edge of going and them torquing it back down was enough to make it go the rest of the way. They did say that some were loose. So it sits at the dealer again. They will start work on it Monday. Sounds like it may get the intake gasket replaced now.

ddalder
02-17-13, 12:33 PM
I think I'd be losing my mind right about now. It's really unfortunate you've been having so many problems. Hopefully they'll be able to get this solved very soon!

Ludacrisvp
02-17-13, 03:19 PM
Yeah it has been an interesting run of frustration.
So far for loaner cars I've been able to test drive some cars and every one of them shows me why I prefer my caddy.
2012? 2013? Impala ... like driving a blind spot with a couch as a front seat. Terrible car, would never want one, a downgrade from the 2000-2005 models (except if you can get the SS engine but still) terrible handling and no connection to the road. My old Deville was so much better than this in all aspects. Car has ok power (was 3.6 DI i think) and brakes are less than acceptable performance. OEM tires are rock hard and have little to no traction on dry roads and they far too easily slip.
2013 Equinox (new body style) just as bad as the impala for traction and tires, way underpowered no ability to get out of its own way. Has some 'eco' button that accomplishes neutering the already weak engine power but doesn't improve economy that I could tell. When traction control engages the system sounds like its going to break everything drivetrain related.
2013 Malibu (new body style) Hybrid - nice bluetooth integration, when playing Pandora via BT it even shows album art on the screen, probably about a 5 inch touch screen no navigation, screen opens to reveal a storage cubby. This hybrid has the autostop feature so the engine turns off at every stop sign and stop light as long as you are in D, manual mode or any other gear placement it will idle normally. Has some interesting dash lights that light up the interior decently some odd bluish green light. The manual shift mode is certainly a gimmick (all of my loaners have had them) they don't autodownshift when you get on it like the STS does so you can be in 6th and floor it and go nowhere as the car will not accelerate in 6th going 55mph compared to the intelligent manual mode in the STS. Not sure which ones were like this but you can shift to manual then 'shift' into any gear you please while moving or not and it doesn't really matter unless its a lower gear than you should be in at the speed you are at. Basically think of it as a "don't shift into a gear higher than this" gear selection. Mileage did not seem all that great as highway miles and hybrids don't do much.
2013 Malibu (new body style) non-hybrid - no BT other than handsfree voice only, no storage compartment behind the screen, no real power sounds like a typical riceburner just high RPM and goes nowhere can't get out of its own way. This one lacks the dashboard lights that the hybrid has.

Seats for all the cars are like cardboard wrapped in canvas or in the hybrid wrapped in pleather.

The new Chevy lineup feels really low end cheaper than cheap plastic, ok fit, less than stellar finish, paint looks ok ... its like the Chevy feels like the Geo line for at least the base model cars, really disappointing. If I ever have another Chevy it will likely be a truck / suburban / tahoe style, but even then I'll likely lean towards GMC Denali or even the Escalade.

ddalder
02-17-13, 03:37 PM
Yes, I think GM is definitely trying to achieve different levels of luxury and quality with Chevrolet being at the bottom. I recently had a Malibu as a loaner as well. I wanted to park it and drive my Bonneville instead. Since it was only for a day, I tolerated it. The CTS is much better than the Malibu, but with the cooler weather now, I'm driving my Bonneville instead. At least it has heated seats, unlike the extremely base CTS which has proven to be very cold to sit on. I have a long list of many other CTS dislikes too, but this isn't a rant thread so I'll bite my tongue :)

Ludacrisvp
02-17-13, 03:40 PM
Lol, yeah... I have considered taking my Monte Carlo out but it has summer only tires and rims that haven't seen snow / salt ever. It has been my summer only car for many years and i've put too much money and work into it to winter drive it.

EChas3
02-18-13, 09:31 PM
Is it any wonder that STS prices have finally stopped their slide? Price out some other equally equipped car.

Ludacrisvp
02-20-13, 08:58 PM
Well I picked my car up again last night. So far, so good. (haven't driven it too much but haven't seen Speed Limited message or CEL).

It might just be the fact that I've been driving loaners for so long but it feels peppier / quicker than it used to.

They did the intake gasket / plenum this time. They said while engine was cold it would leak and be lean, once engine warmed up it would seal itself.

So for those interested about the service contract...

Total paid by contract so far: $ 4,606.43
Total paid by me for repairs: $ 862.99
Price of Contract: $ 2,735.00

Profit / Money saved by having contract: $ 1,008.44

This is over the course of 13,500 miles and 9 months.

You might need to go to the photostream to get larger images or right click and open image in new tab for larger resolution.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludacrisvp/with/8492975127/

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8104/8492974059_dd0231f83b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8494073932_dc3cdc83fb_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8494074214_f2295a0ee7_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8112/8494080570_36c90116fa_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8526/8492974925_55fc41038f_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8527/8492975127_8900fa0a5e_b.jpg

For what is not covered does look like a lot of fine print but its just a lot of them covering their butts.
I don't feel that I am losing out on much if anything in the fine print.

Ludacrisvp
02-25-13, 10:05 PM
Car at dealer yet again another CEL for lean banks 1 and 2. No idea what the ____ is going on with this thing.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-26-13, 01:46 PM
Car at dealer yet again another CEL for lean banks 1 and 2. No idea what the ____ is going on with this thing.

Ludacrisvp,

I’m sorry you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

Please feel free to contact me privately if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Louis (assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

Carvone
02-27-13, 01:20 PM
If it's not your intake and the code is for both banks then have a good look at where the MAF attaches to the air-filter box, they use two weak screws there. I used some sealant on mine and it's held beautifully.

carter527
02-27-13, 01:58 PM
Also dont forget the rubber boot that holds the throttle body to the intake, I had mines crack on my last Caddilac,
(2002 DTS N*). The crack was on the under side of the rubber boot. I sprayed a little brake cleaner around it, the motor stumbled from idle then I knew it was the culprit for the codes. Im most certain this is your problem.

Ludacrisvp
02-27-13, 02:23 PM
Just got off the phone with the dealer they are saying according to the detailed info on the codes its likely that there may have been a fuel issue that set this most recent code.
They were saying it looks like it was registering about 20% ethanol at the time of code set and current fuel appears normal.

However, I will check the area around the MAF as they did replace this component as part of this issue, and I'll look at the airbox, and the rubber boot issue (not sure if that is an issue on the RWD/AWD platform N* though) I honestly don't have a photographic memory of the engine so not sure if that rubber boot is there on this model.

carter527
02-27-13, 04:11 PM
Oh the boot is there, thats how the throttle body connects. its all the same from the front wheel drive or RWD/AWD the only thing different on the front wheel drive is the manifold facing the rear of the motor. when you take your engine cover off you will see it.

Ludacrisvp
02-27-13, 05:45 PM
Thanks ill take a look.

Ludacrisvp
03-04-13, 11:38 AM
The saga continues ....

Haven't seen lean come up again since I got the car back on the 27th.

However the Speed Limited to 120MPH is back ...
Part of me says to just forget it, but the code that is causing this is related to my brake system so its become more of a safety concern to me.
It would seem to be related to my left rear brake and the way I read the code its either the brake is being commanded to release and doesn't or its being told to apply brake but is responding too slow to the brake request. If its the first option I could imagine that could cause excess wear on that brake, possibly leading to a locked up brake/wheel and a brake fire, if it is the second option then car stability while braking could be impacted negatively as not all 4 brakes are working together properly.

ddalder
03-04-13, 02:30 PM
One possibility is to ask the service manager if there is a benefit to having them install a data recorder in your vehicle. We have done this on occasion with some of our fleet vehicles. When the error occurs, the driver presses a button and the recorder will capture specific data for several seconds both prior to and after the button press. This allows them the opportunity to view parameters on a computer and know the conditions present at the time of occurrence. This can be an invaluable tool in diagnosing intermittent problems. The tool itself simply plugs into the OBD-2 connector.

Ludacrisvp
03-04-13, 03:21 PM
Miller (my long time dealer) was going to do that but they couldn't find a working data recorder tool.
They apparently have 2 and one was missing and one would not program to accept my car.

(I am missing the built in snapshot option from the Deville right now)...

I might ask the dealer (Ryan's) about this recorder if they feel they need more information.

------------

Called them about it (Will drop car off Wednesday night) sounds like they are going to replace the BPMV (Break Pressure Modulator Valve).

Ludacrisvp
03-08-13, 06:32 PM
Got the car back today ... cost me $0 ... cost them $500.

They replaced the BCM this time... All the new parts are cool and everything but I would really just like to have it fixed already.
People at work comment on the large amount of loner cars they are seeing and frankly its giving Caddy a bad name/reputation.

ddalder
03-08-13, 06:57 PM
So what did they replace? There are 20+ modules in these generically referred to as a body control modules. Do you know which one it was?

Ludacrisvp
03-08-13, 07:06 PM
So what did they replace? There are 20+ modules in these generically referred to as a body control modules. Do you know which one it was?
From the service order it says:
Diagnose and replace Body Control Module
BCM Loosing communication with other modules, replace and reprogram BCM.
25857315 F-Module $258.42 + $215.95 Labor + $25.91 Misc + $17.77 = $518.05 total paid $0.

Looked up part number on GMPD:
GM PART # 25857315
CATEGORY: Body Multifunction Computer Connector/Module

So that is about all I know.

ddalder
03-08-13, 07:11 PM
I'm willing to bet it was the Instrument Panel Module. I can check the part number later. Very likely the same as mine since we have the same year, engine and many other comparable options.

----------

Yes, that is the Instrument Panel Module.

Ludacrisvp
03-08-13, 07:16 PM
Why can't they just call it what it is?
Would you expect the IPM to really be related to this error?
They previously replaced the EBCM for this (Electronic Brake Controller Module) ... well that is what they told me anyways, I could check the part number for that too.

---
DTC C0228
Left Rear ABS Channel in Release Too Long

This code is set when the following criteria are met:

The EBCM is commanding a valve solenoid to release brake pressure.
The wheel that is commanded to release brake pressure has a speed less than 5 km/h (3 mph) for 1.25 seconds.
---

ddalder
03-08-13, 07:23 PM
Why can't they just call it what it is?
Would you expect the IPM to really be related to this error?
Because that would be too easy LOL. Looking it up at one of the online GM parts sites, the IPM is behind the glove box. It is described as a body control module, but in brackets does state instrument panel module. Likely this just doesn't appear on your invoice. Using the more technical name will likely add no benefit to most customers so I'm guessing they just make a generic reference.

The IPM is involved with many different functions, including being the primary storage location of all installed vehicle options. In my opinion it's certainly possible this could be part/all of the problem.

Ludacrisvp
03-08-13, 07:26 PM
That would explain the random sticker / label laying on my passenger side floor mat.
(looks like the typical price tag sticker at a small town store)

This will also sound crazy but I had programmed driver 2 as CO-PILOT and Driver 1 was my name, after getting it back Driver 2 was showing Leslie (the person that was listed as driver 2 when I got the car) and some of the personalization settings were off / different setting than they were before the car went in (on my driver profile as well).
So somehow the name reverted to an old name that was used and personalization was partially reset.

ddalder
03-08-13, 07:36 PM
That actually makes sense. The Rear Integration Module maintains a backup copy of the vehicle configuration data in case the IPM fails. My best guess is that when the new IPM was installed, some of the parameters were automatically transferred back. Since I'm sure they didn't update this information, it could potentially reappear.

As for the price tag like sticker, I've commonly seen these on various modules so I can understand how that came about.

Ludacrisvp
03-08-13, 07:39 PM
You really seem to know your stuff man... Maybe you should drive down here and work at the Caddy dealer here :)
That is odd / surprising that there is a backup stored of this information.

ddalder
03-08-13, 07:47 PM
That's funny because there was a dealership here that told me the same thing. I'd love to, but I make far more money in my current occupation.

Without a backup of the configuration, there would be big problems. Basically, the IPM broadcasts to all the other modules on the data bus which systems are installed. Without this information, many modules would not behave correctly. Modules perform differently depending on what is actually active in the vehicle at start-up.

Ludacrisvp
03-08-13, 07:48 PM
Can I ask what your occupation is?

ddalder
03-08-13, 07:51 PM
Can I ask what your occupation is?
I'm a Paramedic, although I've spent the past 2.5 years working within our fleet group coordinating maintenance.

EChas3
03-08-13, 08:15 PM
I work with a fellow that does great work in wood as a hobby. I once asked him if he ever considered it as a vocation rather than an avocation. He told me, "I wouldn't want to ruin my hobby."

He is wise.

Ludacrisvp
03-08-13, 08:20 PM
Yeah I can agree. My computer hobby became a career. Now I find myself doing less on the computer and more with cars and other hobbies.

EChas3
03-08-13, 08:25 PM
I once found some hard to delete settings in my wife's car. It was a Hertz rental. They kept coming back!

Repeated saves & system resets (battery cable disconnect) finally drove the stake through the heart of those settings. I wonder if I'd see them again is modules got replaced?

Members using recycled parts should beware!

ddalder
03-08-13, 09:01 PM
Yeah I can agree. My computer hobby became a career. Now I find myself doing less on the computer and more with cars and other hobbies.
Yup! Before entering EMS as my profession I used to write software. People said "What do you mean you don't play computer games?!?". The last thing I wanted to do at the end of the day was to go home and spend 'more' time in front of a computer.

I know several automotive technicians. While their vehicles may be 'safe', none of them have one that's in the condition I'm accustomed to. Of course I definitely don't blame them for wanting to leave this at work and focus on other interests.

carter's_sts
03-09-13, 09:46 AM
This is kind of the same thing......My friends and family get mad at me because I don't keep up on personal email. I keep telling them that I spend so much damn time on work email that I really don't want to spend any more time on email than I have to. Especially with the garbage I get on personal email. :rolleyes:

This forum, on the other hand, I find interesting.

Ludacrisvp
03-09-13, 01:33 PM
The IPM is involved with many different functions, including being the primary storage location of all installed vehicle options. In my opinion it's certainly possible this could be part/all of the problem.
I find it possible that this may have been part of the cruise control issues as well since it was listed as one of the 3? Parts to change out for the issues I had. This is the 3rd (2nd replacement) multifunction lever that has been in the car to my knowledge. I wonder if the bad IPM was mixing up signals from it making then think the multifunction lever was bad.

ddalder
03-09-13, 07:22 PM
The multifunction lever is wired to the IPM so that may well be the case. Having said this, I believe it is much more common to have a defective multifunction lever than an IPM. This is perhaps why they took that course of action.

Ludacrisvp
03-18-13, 03:41 PM
I'm (not so) happy to report that my is, yet again, showing check engine light.
I can only assume we are running lean again... car is at the dealer and I have another Cruze loaner car, haven't heard anything yet from them.
While this helps keep miles off my STS its really annoying!

I haven't seen the speed limited message since the IPM was swapped out though...
I'm sure its just laying in wait like a cat ready to pounce on your unsuspecting foot that is dangling off the bed in the middle of the night.

I don't even know where to go at this point ... low fuel pressure? clogged injectors? bad Heated 02 sensors?

Ludacrisvp
04-25-13, 10:20 PM
The saga continues...

The latest update in the Speed Limited and Check Engine light are:

Replace timing cover and gasket due to oil leak:
(that they claim is the cause of the lean code and in turn the 120MPH message).
This looks like TSB Bulletin No.: 12-06-01-003 Date: May 03, 2012
$599.85 - labor
$38.78 - Gasket p/n 12593627
$102.82 - Cover p/n 89017798
$8.88 - Seal p/n 12563877
$44.86 - Gasket p/n 12563623
$18.07 - Coolant p/n 12346290
Subtotal = $813.26

During the above work someone set the plastic Engine Beauty cover on the ground and someone ran it over and broke it.
(they are waiting on the part for this -- obviously no charge, however I was annoyed they didn't tell me about it and found out when I popped the hood before I left.)
I have a habit of just making a quick scan under the hood for any random tools that may have been left behind... haven't had it happen yet, just overly cautious.

And an oil change:
$65.60 - Mobil 1 p/n 12345885
$7.15 - PF61E Oil filter? p/n 89017342
Subtotal = $72.75

Window issue:
$59.99 - labor
remove and repair inside weather strip.

Exhaust rattle:
NPF - no charge.

Creak / clicking in front calipers:
Remove calipers and lube slides - no charge.

Service Lane Departure system:
Originally just 'reprogrammed the unit'
When I was about to come get the car they ran it through the wash and the message came on again so they called me before I left to tell me.
Replace VDAAWM
Code: B101D-3C
ECU Internal Self Test Communications Failure
These steps seem rather straightforward...
Circuit/System Verification

Verify DTC B101D is not set.

If the DTC is set, replace the VDAAW module.

$275.28 - module p/n 20839068
$227.94 - labor
Subtotal = $503.22

Tax = $35.04
Misc Fee = $27.00

Out of pocket $263.18
Covered by Service Contract = $1248.08

EChas3
04-25-13, 10:33 PM
Sad to see the out-of-pocket but persistence will pay off. I don't believe in 'lemons'. It's a machine and broken machines can all be fixed.

Ludacrisvp
04-25-13, 10:36 PM
Well $75 of the out-of-pocket was the Oil change (I was only @ 49% OLM but they changed it anyways, likely required by the service they did)