: alarm

B1n2fra
01-15-13, 10:00 AM
I was curious does the sts have a shock sensor on it's alarm system. I've hit our tapped my car to see but nothing happened. I'm afraid to hit my car really hard and leave a dent so I have only lightly tested it. If there is one would the alarm go off if the window was knocked out.

curtc
01-15-13, 11:19 AM
Nope, OEM alarm will ONLY be triggered if something opens, ie. a door or the trunk.

Role down a window and then lock it with the fob, then reach in and open the door, it should go off at that point.

B1n2fra
01-15-13, 01:38 PM
So even if I park on the street and a snow plow ripped the whole left side of the car off nothing would happen. Did any Cadillac ever come with a shock sensor, I know my 98 grand prix gtp had a shock sensor that would always go off in a thunder storm.

curtc
01-15-13, 02:23 PM
So even if I park on the street and a snow plow ripped the whole left side of the car off nothing would happen. Did any Cadillac ever come with a shock sensor, I know my 98 grand prix gtp had a shock sensor that would always go off in a thunder storm.

If the door comes open it will ;) The STS is my 4th Cadillac and none have had a shock sensor. Are you certain the security system on that GTP was stock?

ddalder
01-15-13, 02:45 PM
The export (European) STS has an inclination sensor, but I don't know about a shock sensor. Two very different systems. The export STS has a bunch of different components.

Ludacrisvp
01-15-13, 03:27 PM
The export (European) STS has an inclination sensor, but I don't know about a shock sensor. Two very different systems. The export STS has a bunch of different components.
I thought all STS had that sensor ... as I believe the intended function of it is to disable the alarm when the vehicle meets the incline requirement as it is being towed away.
This allows them to repossess the car without you knowing about it.

ddalder
01-15-13, 03:32 PM
No, I don't believe that's correct. The inclination sensor in the export STS is located in the roof center console where the HomeLink is in the North American car. I doubt any car maker would build in features for the purpose of allowing easier repossession. I believe the inclination sensor is to alert the owner in case someone wants to steal the car by using a tow truck since cars now are much harder to start given better anti-theft systems.

Ludacrisvp
01-15-13, 05:40 PM
Hmmm. I thought there's a module in the trunk that did the inclination sensor.

curtc
01-15-13, 05:49 PM
The inclination sensor in the export STS is located in the roof center console where the HomeLink is in the North American car.

Wish I had HomeLink, option was apparently deleted by the original purchaser, just a blank, plastic piece up there :(

B1n2fra
01-15-13, 06:01 PM
If the door comes open it will ;) The STS is my 4th Cadillac and none have had a shock sensor. Are you certain the security system on that GTP was stock?

Yes everything on the gtp was stock bought the car new in 97 and it had a shock sensor. Kinda crazy how Pontiac has a shock sensor but not GM s top vehicle Cadillac

Ludacrisvp
01-15-13, 07:03 PM

Theft Deterrent Vehicle Inclination Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

(image shows it in the right rear corner of the trunk)

Remove the right rear compartment trim.
Remove the theft deterrent inclination sensor (2) from the theft deterrent alarm (1).
Disconnect the electrical connector from the sensor.
Remove the sensor from the vehicle.

Well the sensor is there, but it might just be the actual theft prevention from people jacking the car up. (rather than my previous statement about it disabling the system.)

As you can see Escalade has them as well:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2012-Cadillac-Escalade-Theft-Prevention-582x446.jpg

ddalder
01-15-13, 07:15 PM
Ugh! You're right, the intrusion sensor is in the center roof console where HomeLink is (in applicable vehicles... keep reading). Looking through the FSM, the inclination sensor would be in the trunk, right side below where the OnStar module is in our cars. Reading through the Description and Operation section of the FSM, the inclination sensor, intrusion sensor and theft deterrent alarm siren is only applicable to RPO "UA2" which I believe is the export theft deterrent system. From the FSM:

Inclination Sensor (RPO UA2)
The inclination sensor is monitored by the RIM. The inclination sensor monitors the parked angle of the vehicle. Instances where vehicle angle may change is during jacking up of the vehicle or towing of the vehicle. If the CTD is in the armed mode and vehicle inclination is detected, CTD will enter the alarm mode.

Intrusion Sensor (RPO UA2)
The intrusion sensor is monitored by the RIM. The intrusion sensor is a shock sensor which monitors forceful entry or movement within the vehicle. This sensor is only equipped on vehicles with RPO UA2. If the CTD is in the armed mode and vehicle intrusion is detected, CTD will enter the alarm mode.

Theft Deterrent Alarm Siren (RPO UA2)
The theft deterrent alarm is a theft deterrent sounder used on some export vehicles. If the CTD System is in the alarm mode, the RIM will request the theft deterrent alarm ON.

Wish I had HomeLink, option was apparently deleted by the original purchaser, just a blank, plastic piece up there :(
HomeLink would actually be quite easy to add, depending on whether or not you care if it is disabled with the valet switch.

4THGENCAMAROGUY
01-15-13, 07:59 PM
If the door comes open it will ;) The STS is my 4th Cadillac and none have had a shock sensor. Are you certain the security system on that GTP was stock?My 99 GTP had a factory alarm with a shock sensor as well. My 97 Camaro does too.

Ludacrisvp
01-15-13, 08:04 PM
My 99 GTP had a factory alarm with a shock sensor as well. My 97 Camaro does too.
That '97 Camaro wouldn't happen to be a 4th Gen Camaro, would it? :)

1BadCadSTS
01-15-13, 08:07 PM
That's self explanatory. 93-02 was the 4th gen. I have a 98 SS. It has a shock sensor in the rear under the spare tire cover. There you can adjust the sensitivity.

4THGENCAMAROGUY
01-15-13, 08:15 PM
That '97 Camaro wouldn't happen to be a 4th Gen Camaro, would it? :)It would indeed happen to be a 4th Gen lol

ddalder
01-15-13, 09:13 PM
Thing about GM is that they'll throw the odd option into a few vehicles, never to be seen elsewhere. There are definitely some consistencies between platforms, but lots of variations also.

curtc
01-15-13, 09:54 PM
Thing about GM is that they'll throw the odd option into a few vehicles, never to be seen elsewhere. There are definitely some consistencies between platforms, but lots of variations also.

Like the night vision on the Deville...pretty cool feature.

Ludacrisvp
01-15-13, 10:02 PM
Like the night vision on the Deville...pretty cool feature.

I wished that mine had it quite often.
They could have done the flir system a little better like maybe a wide screen HUD. I would like to see a modern flir system in a new caddy.

ddalder
01-15-13, 10:18 PM
I've been looking at adding night vision to my Bonneville for years and am still thinking about it. The HUD in that car is very poor during the day (seriously lacks intensity) so I'd rather use it at night for wildlife. If the projector will fit in place of the one I've got, it is definitely possible. Mounting the camera would then be the biggest problem. I'd love it in my STS! I'd be curious to know the exact reason GM didn't do more with this.

Ludacrisvp
01-15-13, 10:51 PM
I've been looking at adding night vision to my Bonneville for years and am still thinking about it. The HUD in that car is very poor during the day (seriously lacks intensity) so I'd rather use it at night for wildlife. If the projector will fit in place of the one I've got, it is definitely possible. Mounting the camera would then be the biggest problem. I'd love it in my STS! I'd be curious to know the exact reason GM didn't do more with this.

I've been told that it all boiled down to money. It was about a $5k option that few people ordered and the reliability was low due to rocks impacting the camera. The lens was too expensive to make and wasn't a serviceable part. Normal glass blocks out a lot of infrared light so they couldn't protect the lens well and the screen they used some years didn't help. They did a second revision of the camera mid cycle that might have been serviceable lens. If I did it I would consider integration into Nav screen as video in in conjunction with lockpick. Too bad the display cluster doesn't have the heads down display of the previous STS DTS as you might retro it there. Unless you can figure out two HUDs in the same area.

ddalder
01-15-13, 11:01 PM
I've been told that it all boiled down to money. It was about a $5k option that few people ordered and the reliability was low due to rocks impacting the camera. The lens was too expensive to make and wasn't a serviceable part. Normal glass blocks out a lot of infrared light so they couldn't protect the lens well and the screen they used some years didn't help. They did a second revision of the camera mid cycle that might have been serviceable lens. If I did it I would consider integration into Nav screen as video in in conjunction with lockpick. Too bad the display cluster doesn't have the heads down display of the previous STS DTS as you might retro it there. Unless you can figure out two HUDs in the same area.
What you say isn't really surprising to hear. When I was pricing out new parts, it was extremely costly so this makes perfect sense. I hadn't even considered the problem with the glass on the camera but that would definitely be a problem. The camera was one part that was very expensive, even from a wrecker (and there weren't many to be had).

B1n2fra
01-16-13, 09:44 AM
So is it a definite no that the sts has no shock sensor?

curtc
01-16-13, 10:57 AM

Bounce a corner up and down, if it does have one it should go off, don't think so though.

4THGENCAMAROGUY
01-16-13, 01:14 PM
Bouncing might not set it off. I'd walk around the car and knock on it like you would a door

ddalder
01-16-13, 11:44 PM
No. Not unless you have the export theft deterrent system RPO code UA2 on your Service Parts Identification label. Since Canada doesn't permit European cars less than 15 years old to be imported (except for temporary import under specific circumstances), I'm guessing the US likely won't either.

ddalder
01-19-13, 01:28 AM
So I've done some research into adding the export Content Theft Deterrent system. After snooping around with my Tech2, I believe the option only needs to be turned on through the IPM set-up menu, along with adding the necessary components. I've decided against moving forward with the upgrade.

The intrusion sensor that will activate the alarm in the event of a broken window (or similar) is almost $600 USD by itself. Then there is the inclination sensor, siren and bracket along with appropriate wiring and connectors. What really changed my mind however is the loss of HomeLink. The intrusion sensor mounts in the same area of the roof console as the universal garage door opener. The plate is changed in the console to delete the button openings for the door opener and provides attachment points for the sensor. I really don't want to give up my door opener so unless I can transplant a visor version of HomeLink to my sun visor, I think this is a dead project for me.

Ludacrisvp
01-19-13, 01:37 PM
I wish the homelink buttons were either on the visor like the srx or where the passenger airbag display is like the deville had preferably where the passenger airbag display is.

ddalder
01-19-13, 02:03 PM
I wish the homelink buttons were either on the visor like the srx or where the passenger airbag display is like the deville had preferably where the passenger airbag display is.
I'm currently working on upgrading my headlights, but I might need to look into the SRX visors a little more :)

Ludacrisvp
01-19-13, 03:05 PM
What you doing to the headlights? Find some SLS bixeon AFL headlights to use?

ddalder
01-19-13, 03:40 PM
No, I'm working on installing a pair of the European STS auto-leveling headlights. I've purchased a new forward lamp wiring harness but discovered that the Euro-STS didn't receive many of the upgrades the North American car underwent for the 2008 model year. The fundamental wiring is there, but I'm going to have to make several changes. The under hood fuse block connector is entirely different. Some of the signals passed through the 2007 fuse block are routed through other connectors on the 2008+. Certainly workable, but won't be quite as easy as I'd hoped.

Ludacrisvp
01-19-13, 03:49 PM
Can you just add the leveling motor to the USA housings rather than swapping the whole housing? Doesn't the leveling system use the readings from MRC suspension height sensors or the load leveling sensor in the back for trunk weight? Is there another module to add or is it a reprogram of the BCM to enable this?

ddalder
01-19-13, 04:03 PM
There is a separate headlamp leveling module that mounts on the side of the RH headlamp housing. This controls motors that are located in each headlamp housing. Because of all the necessary components inside the headlamps, there is no practical way to do this without changing the entire assembly (schematics suggest there are four motors in each lamp housing and these are not available as a service part).

The headlamp leveling module of course controls all the actuator motors and determines how to do this by one of two methods. If the vehicle doesn't have F55, there is a sensor mounted on the LF and LR suspension components. These connect directly to the headlamp leveling module and provide the necessary inputs. With F55, sensors are already in place and communicate directly with the suspension control module in the trunk. The headlamp leveling module receives position information from the suspension control module over the high speed GMLAN bus. This simplifies wiring requirements. In both types of installation, there is a connection into the high speed GMLAN bus for the headlamp leveling module. This will be for diagnostic and testing purposes for vehicles without F55.

The nice part to this is since I have adaptive cruise control, there is already wiring in the forward lamp harness for the high speed GMLAN bus. I can't say for sure whether non-ACC cars have GMLAN bus wiring or not, but since nothing else connected to the forward lamp harness requires this, I'm suspicious they may not have.

The option does need to be turned on in the IPM using a Tech2.

B1n2fra
01-20-13, 04:53 PM
It's crazy how an American made car can offer more and better components in the foreign market than in it's own country it's built in. Why does GM limit it's American customers and go all out in the foreign market. Buick is a prime example. Overseas Buicks are ten times better than their American counterparts. I got a 1SG awd V8 with every available option for 2007. It would be nice to have a shock sensor on the alarm, an intrusion sensor, power folding mirrors, and auto leveling headlamps. And whatever else the foreign sts or sls has that the American model is missing

Ludacrisvp
01-20-13, 05:59 PM
The SLS is so much different than the USA/Export version of the STS. They received a significantly more refined and luxurious car than the STS is. Also consider that the SLS cost well into the low $100k USD in China compared to what we have here.

However I agree that its crazy that we don't get some of the same features / options.