: 69 cadillac taking on water!?

SWEENDOG1969
01-15-13, 02:09 AM
Its not like when it rains it comes pouring in like the Poseidon adventure. I just notice that after the car sits for a day or two the top trim on the inside of the windshield is wet(large water drops) and the windshield itself is damp. I had the people that installed the glass (safelite) come out to where I work and "reseal" the windshield. They gave me some b.s. about because of the age of the car it might leak and you'd have to bring it to the shop and leave it for the day again. The windshield isnt even structural in a car this old. I might also note the car had a vinyl top but I removed it and the vinyl top hardware is still sticking out of the roof (still on the fence about replacement of top).

77CDV
01-15-13, 03:44 AM
The windshield frame may have rust through and/or been improperly resealed. I would recommend taking the car to a qualified auto glass shop.

SWEENDOG1969
01-17-13, 10:36 AM
I went to safelite to have the windshield replaced because it had a very small drip right where the piller trim screw is. It was fine for about a month,and then it started to leak again..or maybe its moisture built up like whe a glass sweats?!

cadillac kevin
01-17-13, 02:55 PM
I went to safelite to have the windshield replaced because it had a very small drip right where the piller trim screw is. It was fine for about a month,and then it started to leak again..or maybe its moisture built up like whe a glass sweats?!

No, it's more likely safelite didn't do a good job of cleaning the surface prior to installing the windshield.
My dad had that problem with them on an 84 blazer (this would have been back in the late 80s). They reinstalled the windshield 3 or 4 times, it always leaked afterwards, and they ruined the paint around the glass by getting sealant on it. He finally took it to a shop and they removed it, cleaned the metal (apparently they never removed some of the remnants of the old sealant), and reinstalled it and it didn't leak anymore.

carnut
01-18-13, 01:31 AM
I would talk to the shop manager and explain calmly your dilemma. If you take it to another shop without his knowledge you will not have any reimbursement recourse. In this day of instant posting and places like Facebook and twitter, a shops reputation can quickly be permanently damaged and repair shops know this. Be patient and I'm sure they'll fix it.