: 98 Eldo running rough

dom418
12-28-04, 12:36 PM
Whenever my car sits for a few hours it runs rough upon startup until it warms up but it doesn't rev high or anything. It is not so bad that the car feels like it is going to die out but I was wondering if anyone might be able to guide me in the right direction.

caddydaddy
12-28-04, 03:35 PM
It kind of sounds like it needs a tune-up. Is it due for one?

dom418
12-28-04, 07:47 PM
I don't think so cause it only has 44,000 miles. I am hoping it is only doing this cause of the cold weather. As soon as the temp gauge reaches the middle point the car runs fine. I checked the throttle body and it is clean with no carbon build up. The tach also revs up and down from 500 to 1000 rpm during this process.

blb
12-28-04, 09:09 PM
Listen and check for vacuum leaks. An unlit propane torch can be used around suspect areas to help identify the area of the leak.

BeelzeBob
12-29-04, 02:09 PM
Whenever my car sits for a few hours it runs rough upon startup until it warms up but it doesn't rev high or anything. It is not so bad that the car feels like it is going to die out but I was wondering if anyone might be able to guide me in the right direction.

Sounds like it is rich after a hot restart. Most likely reason is the fuel pressure regulator leaking slightly. Pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator while the engine is idling and watch the vacuum nipple on the FPR for any sign of seepage of fuel...there should be none. Shut the engine off with the vac hose still disconnected. Watch the vac nipple for any sign of fuel seeping out during the hot soak. There should be none. Replace the FPR is there is any sign of fuel out the vacuum nipple as it indicates and internal leak.

dom418
01-17-05, 04:21 PM
Ok, Took the car into the dealer and they told me the car was giving a misfire code. They replaced the plugs, wires and Fuel Pressure Regulator. The cost was over $1,000. The car is still doing the same thing though. I noticed that the EGR tube from the upper right manifold is leaking exhaust gas and has carbon build up around it. Would this cause the engine to run rough when cold? Again the idle was rough enough to set off my service engine light. The dealer said they would fix it for free since they didn't fix the problem the first time.

hungryhippo
01-20-05, 10:41 PM
that could very well be the problem. it could be causing a vacuum leak

dom418
01-21-05, 12:17 PM
Got the car back yesterday. They replaced the malfunctioning EGR tube and everything seems good. Thanks everyone.

matmoeb
01-25-05, 09:18 PM
I had almost exact symtoms with my 96 eldo...Sad part is that it ended up being a leaking head gasket that apparently swelled and sealed itself when warmed up. But a block test told us 4 sure that it was gasket.....Nobody IN TAMPA WILL EVEN FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:disappoin