: CUE Navigation ETA Calculation



st4422
01-13-13, 09:55 PM
When setting up a route in my 2013 SRX, the ETA and estimated travel time seem to be inaccurate or CUE is adding time for coffee breaks and fuel stops, etc. :confused: Today, for a trip that normally takes about 3 hours when driving the speed limit, CUE estimated the time to destination at about 4 hours. There was no construction or unusual traffic conditions. I've had the same result on other routes recently. The calculation gradually corrects itself and by the time the route is complete, the ETA and time to destination are correct. Anyone have any ideas?

codeman71
01-14-13, 11:42 AM
The ETA is calculated based on data provided to us from Navteq which includes things like the speed limit and type or classification of the road that you are driving on. Sometimes, the roads can be programmed with an incorrect speed limit in the Navteq database which would help explain the issue that you're looking for. This would probably be particularly exaggerated with a long route like that. My guess is that this is what's happening.

pever
01-14-13, 11:52 AM
I frequently drive 120 km/hour for 3+ hours on a highway (401) with a posted speed limit of 100 km/hr. Despite that 20% speed increase, the Garmin GPS always nails the time of arrival from the moment I set out, not just when closing into the destination. So maybe it uses the average known speed for me (driving patterns?) or maybe it knows the average traveller speed on that road (it is about 120 in fact).

I have yet to use the ATS nav on that trip but I will this week and I will watch to see what happens.

st4422
01-14-13, 05:14 PM
The ETA is calculated based on data provided to us from Navteq which includes things like the speed limit and type or classification of the road that you are driving on. Sometimes, the roads can be programmed with an incorrect speed limit in the Navteq database which would help explain the issue that you're looking for. This would probably be particularly exaggerated with a long route like that. My guess is that this is what's happening.

So, if this is true, basically it appears that for all the routes I have tried so far (maybe about 10) the data from Navteq are erroneous and the CUE ETA and time to destination are completely worthless. Wonderful. :helpless: