: Hvac control head removal

libbysman
01-13-13, 06:11 PM
Hello All, Happy New Year. I'm trying to remove the radio in order to swap out the HVAC control head. I have the shop manuals, but nowhere in there does it mention how to get the besel around the centre dash ( the piece that goes around the seat heater switches, traction control etc. I did remove the ashtray and found the 2 screws behind it to free up the bottom of the bezel. But I can't figure out how to get the top of the bezel free. If anyone has done this I would really appreciate a quick answer, or refer me to a posting that covers this procedure. Cheers, Brian

JohnJJO
01-13-13, 09:28 PM
There is screw under each button on the sides. Remove buttons u will see them.

libbysman
01-14-13, 02:43 PM
Thanks for replying John. When I pop out the switch button I only see the socket for the switch. Does the switch itself have to be released to find the screws? I'm leery to remove something that I can't get back in. The cover for the TCS won't stay in now that I've popped it out. Is that something I can remedy once I remove the bezel?

jupiter57
01-14-13, 04:25 PM
Thanks for replying John. When I pop out the switch button I only see the socket for the switch. Does the switch itself have to be released to find the screws? I'm leery to remove something that I can't get back in. The cover for the TCS won't stay in now that I've popped it out. Is that something I can remedy once I remove the bezel?

I popped that one off earlier & never got it to go back on!
Anyone know the trick to getting this TCS button to properly connect?

libbysman
01-14-13, 11:11 PM
Either you have a different year Catera John, or you were guessing. I have all the switches out and there are no screws to be seen. I do however have some news for Jupiter57. If you squeeze the two tabs on the TCS and pull out, the whole switch comes out. To put the cover back on it use a sharp instrument to keep the switch from going in as you push the cover back on.
John, I think that bezel has to come out to reveal the screws. I put my TCS switch next to the replacement HVAC control and it looks like the screws are right behind the socket where the TCS switch plugs in. Now that my consol looks like Swiss cheese I've still got to find the missing link. If anyone out there has done this before you would be a real Savior if you would fire along that knowledge to this thread. Thanks all, Brian

----------

I have explored further and found the golden fleece. There are two (2) screws behind the little blanks between the TCS switch and the TRUNK release. Removing these gives access to the screws for removing the RADIO & the HVAC Contol HEAD. Tomorrow she comes out, as I still have to disconnect the wiring to the sockets for all those switches. Thanks for your input guys, its been appreciated. I'll update as this goes along. Cheers, Brian