: Anyone get a flat tire lately?

BKbroiler61
01-13-13, 12:10 PM
I'm talking about a punctured tire that went flat while you were away from home, assuming no spare tire. What did you do? Use the repair kit? Call Service (what time of day was it?), call AAA?

TheCaptain
01-13-13, 12:28 PM
It's been a solid 7 years since I had a flat. Sorry I can't help.
(Also CDN SRX's come with a spare)

erdoc48
01-13-13, 12:45 PM
I think that's why they went to a repair kit instead of compact spare, as a flat is a rare event (although not impossible obviously). I haven't had a flat in more than 10 years of driving. My SRX came with the compact spare option though- it gives me a little more secure feeling, although I'm almost certain it'll never be used.

If you have the repair kit and if it doesn't/ can't work because of sidewall damage or too large of a puncture, you would need to call Cadillac roadside assistance or AAA.

packardv8
01-13-13, 04:55 PM
My wife's '11 has 18" tires and the compact spare option. It picked up a screw in the right rear. I check the TPMS every day, noticed the pressure dropping and got it repaired locally.

My wife's previous car, Saab 9-5 which didn't have TPMS has had two on-road flats in the past seven years. One ruined a tire before it was noticed. It also has the compact spare.

Bottom line, as big and tough as the SRX tires are, if one watches the TPMS, an on-road flat should be a very rare circumstance.

jack vines

Marc NY
01-13-13, 06:43 PM
... Bottom line, as big and tough as the SRX tires are, if one watches the TPMS, an on-road flat should be a very rare circumstance.

jack vinesI agree ... I monitor my tires regularly with the TPMS. I also will use my MyCadillac App and the OnStar App to keep a closer eye on all my important vehicle's information too. I had the light come once this winter so I added air and I watched it to see if it went down to 30 psi again. In the coldest part of winter my tires will vary as much as 3-5 PSI. I try to keep them around 35 PSI.

300:29:1
01-13-13, 08:09 PM
I also find that a flat tire is a rare occurrence. Ironically I just had a nail in the tire on my SRX. In the past, having a spare meant having to make sure it was inflated from time to time. How many people even knew how to properly use the supplied jack and tools? They never seemed to stow in the same way that they came. I agree with Marc on watching the TPMS in the DIC as well as the app. I try to keep my tires at around 37 psi. The logic is, if there's a drop I have a cushion. I have found that the DIC and app are pretty accurate when compared to a digital gauge.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-14-13, 02:38 PM
I'm talking about a punctured tire that went flat while you were away from home, assuming no spare tire. What did you do? Use the repair kit? Call Service (what time of day was it?), call AAA?

BKbroiler61, I just wanted to reply and thank you for kicking off an interesting thread topic! Has this happened to you recently? I would be happy to document your experience or follow up on any lingering concerns for you, so please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further information anytime.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

BKbroiler61
01-15-13, 01:52 PM
Katie - Thanks for your interest. This hasn't exactly happened to me yet but what got me thinking was that my wife was driving her 2011 SRX to work at about 8AM on a weekday. She saw a warning about low tire pressure and stopped at a tire shop near her job. They removed and repaired the tire. So this scenario is just the way it should work. My question is, if it was 8PM instead of 8AM, the tire shop option wouldn't have worked. So I was wondering who has found themselves in that situation and what happened next. It is amazing how apparently uncommon that is.

adamjeeps
01-15-13, 02:07 PM
Call the GM roadside assistance or use a can of fix a flat. I will never use fix a flat on a newish tire because it messes up the inside of the tire and possibly the sensors as well.

allgm
01-15-13, 04:41 PM
The newer cans of fix a flat say Tire Sensor safe. But still I would only use as a last resort and I wouldn't want the person who breaks down the tire to be mad at me.

300:29:1
01-15-13, 04:48 PM
Dont' they include some sort of fix a flat in the SRX along with the compressor,in lieu of a spare tire? I would think that this would NOT be harmful to the tire.

BKbroiler61
01-17-13, 04:09 PM
Call the GM roadside assistance or use a can of fix a flat. I will never use fix a flat on a newish tire because it messes up the inside of the tire and possibly the sensors as well.

I know what the recommended procedures are. I want to hear from people who have followed those procedures. For example, if you called roadside assistance, what did they do, there is no spare for them to install, it's 8:00 pm so tire shops and dealers are closed. What happens then? If they, or you, used the flat fix equipment in the SRX, how did that work out? Somebody must have gone through this process.

Gendronlights
01-17-13, 06:53 PM
What about a blow out? If it happens 50 miles from home on a Sunday evening, where is the best place for AAA to tow it to? Dealer, nearest tire shop, back home. I know the chances of this happening are slim, but I think I would just have it flat-bedded back to my home. Any thoughts on this?

hawkowl
01-21-13, 08:51 AM
Had a nail in one tire; have the spare, but it was a slow enough leak that I could add air to the damaged tire and drive to the nearest tire shop (25 miles away) for a repair. I live in a remote area with severe winter weather (-20F before counting wind chill this am) so would never own any car that did not come with a spare.

adamjeeps
01-21-13, 11:17 AM
My wife drives our 2012 99% of the time, so even if it did have a spare, there is no way she would change it. I don't think she is physically capable of removing the lug nuts. That is why AAA and Roadside Assistance are available.

adamjeeps
01-24-13, 03:17 PM
You all won't believe this but she got a flat this morning!! Shop says the cut is too large to patch. Less than 1,000 miles on the tire and I got to spend $300 on a new Michelin :mad2:

BKbroiler61
01-25-13, 01:46 PM
You all won't believe this but she got a flat this morning!! Shop says the cut is too large to patch. Less than 1,000 miles on the tire and I got to spend $300 on a new Michelin :mad2:

Was she able to drive to the shop? If not, what did she do?

adamjeeps
01-25-13, 04:19 PM
Was she able to drive to the shop? If not, what did she do?

A garage added air. I watched the pressure go down from 30 to 9 on the dash after a 1 minute 1/4 mile drive to the Tire Store.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
01-30-13, 09:08 AM
we sell the GM spare kit (includes spare, jack, etc.) for the SRX for $462.00 plus shipping (GM list price of $641.50). give me a call at 703-647-8670 between 730-4 Eastern

etexlady
01-30-13, 10:40 PM
I had to buy a new tire for my '11 SRX. Had message that the air was low in one tire. This went on for a few days but it was a very slow leak so I didn't feel compelled to rush to the dealership. Plus I had purchased the spare tire kit so that was my security if needed. Turns out the tire had picked up a screw. Of course, the damage was close to the edge of the tire and was not repairable. About $300 to replace.