: '92 Allante - Rusted Cooling Pipes

chrisholland03
01-12-13, 06:54 PM
Hey all --

I have a '92 Allante, 51000 miles that just let go of all its coolant. The cooling pipes that run from the engine to the heater core run below the serpentine belt and up into the firewall. The two pipes connect right below the belt with a two inch piece of heater hose. The pipes are exposed to the underside of the car in this area and have corroded and are leaking.

http://i.imgur.com/2j9We.png

(Part 1 in photos above)

I've checked all around and the two pipes are no longer available and apparently no stock remains. I've checked RockAuto, all the GM parts houses online, had the dealership check for parts in the GM network and there is nothing. Any suggestions on how to remedy the situation?

My thought is to cut out the corroded area (essentially 3-4 inches of each pipe on either side of the connecting hose) and replace with a larger heater hose.

Thanks!

carnut
01-12-13, 07:48 PM
You might try www.allantesource.com in Florida. for used ones. cutting the pipe might work if the remainder is not about to rust thru as well. I would also assume this pipe has a flared end to hold the hose. Cutting it off, you might have to figure a way to flare it. This pipe should be shared with an Eldo or Seville of that era. The Allante drivetrain was a shortened Eldo.

chrisholland03
01-12-13, 07:59 PM
Thanks for your suggestion!

Your assumption is correct -- both ends of the pipe are flared where the rubber hose mates them.

I've left Dick a message and email with photos -- we'll see what he comes back with. Evidently this is a common problem on the 4.1/4.5/4.9 engines that have spent any time above the Mason-Dixon line. I came across two part numbers for the 'regular' 4.5/4.9 pipes- 3530658 and 3530659 that are still available, however everything online says they won't work on the Allante' for some reason. They look identical to my uneducated eye.

chrisholland03
01-12-13, 09:05 PM
Just heard back from Tom @ the Allante Store in San Diego and he has used pipes in good condition on hand. The downside is waiting a week for them to come in. Looks like I'll be back on the road in short order!

Thanks everyone!