: So what now?

Visirale
12-28-04, 01:24 AM
I have my car now, and I get my license on wednesday. But I want to be a really great driver... So here's what I am thinking.

1. Learn to drive my dad's 95 dodge ram turbodiesel 2500, just for the sake of learning manual.

2. Skip Barber does some semi local things, but man that's expensive.

What else can you reccomend to make me a super confident (like enough to race at a track ;) ) driver? I'm in Orlando so I know there has to be some sort of something somewhere that can help me... I just need one of you to rescue me from my ignorance and reccomend it :).

-Ted

davesdeville
12-28-04, 02:24 AM
Know the limits of your vehicle. And practice.

majax
12-28-04, 02:47 AM
A drivers education course and in order to get your license you need to pass the tests of course and drivers ed will help. if you get a good instructor it can be eduacation x 1000. I really liked drivers ed and I learned a lot. After that, drive with your dad a lot so he can point out what you do wrong. The first 10 hours you have your license your odds of an accident are extremely high.

my #1 rule: don't overestimate your capabilities be modest to an extent dont say' to yourself after driving 10 hours 'oh i am a good driver' 1 that causes you to stop trying to improve and 2 it makes likely to get into an accident cause you think you can handle 50mph around that corner.

Racing school is a good idea it will get you familiar with control. I want to go to one :D

my #2 rule/s: signal almost everywhere and keep at least at least! a 3 second follwoing distance in a 55-60 and a 4+ in a 70-80. Oh and drive the speed limit! keyword limit not minimum. It is okay to go 5 miles over if you feel the situation is acceptable for such. I usually do about 5 over on the highway so I dont hold people up, be curteous! Right away is given not taken

Practice your parking well, bad parking it can makes you look like a bad driver and disrespectful/lazy. Try to become better everytime you drive no matter how old.

rule #3: Stop at stop signs and when turning left off a 2 way highway look over your left sholder my drivers ed instructor had a student who made a left turn and a trunk went around her at teh same time she was turning, she is no longer with us. Same as look over your shoulder doing lane changes and dont always trus the mirors, cars have blind spots you need to check. Next do not turn your wheel when turning off a street until you are ready to procede otherwise someone rear ends you adn your turned wheel causes the car to go into on coming traffic.

Any questons I got more where that all came from. :p

Best wishes

Visirale
12-28-04, 09:22 AM
Thanks.

I took drivers ed over the summer, and it was somewhat of a joke. The instructors were pretty good when they got off on their preaching rants, but more often than not, we were just screwing around 4 hours while waiting for our 5 minutes to drive.

I took a defensive drivers course when I was 14 for when I got in trouble for crashing my grandma's Deville without a license :). That got me a headstart on safe driving.

I pretty much drive my dad everywhere now, save his job. He's always critiquing me.

I want to go to racing school so I can get the training for handling in extreme situations. That should be very handy in case of some crazy situation on the highway.

I'm pretty good at your rule #1, always do #2, and do #3 when it's applicable.

Thanks for the advice.

Msilva954
12-28-04, 09:48 AM
Like said above...the #1 thing you can do to help you out is know the limits of the car your driving....everything comes into hand....the tires, transmision, engine,weight of car etc......just from switching cars its a world of difference and believe it or not going from the Michelns I had on the car to the Vogues I have now was big enough difference to have to go at it a little slower on the turns....

RBraczyk
12-28-04, 02:08 PM
Be careful and don't do dumb things. Yes its very easy to mess up, Trust me. Just be careful and wait at least a year untill you go and try to race on a track.

Night Wolf
12-28-04, 03:43 PM
I turned 16 July 1st 2003

I got my permit July 2nd 2003

I got my license Augest 11th 2003

I raced at the drag strip Augest 23rd 2003

good times :)

HotRodSaint
12-28-04, 03:46 PM
Malibu Grand Prix

Beat the fastest time, and you have learned how to control a car.

davesdeville
12-28-04, 08:23 PM
If you mean wait a year to hit the dragstrip I don't know why you'd be worried about that. It's pretty easy to give it gas and hold a straight line unless you're in some really badass car. That said, I haven't ever actually been to the dragstrip being that my cars have all been too slow to care about. I'll go when it opens up in the spring and I have my ETC.

majax
12-28-04, 09:16 PM
Malibu Grand Prix

Beat the fastest time, and you have learned how to control a car.

I dont think it'd be to hard to beat a bunch of Chevrolet Malibus ;) :histeric:

rick-that rear end is way down there

AirJigga25
12-30-04, 11:45 AM
I have my car now, and I get my license on wednesday. But I want to be a really great driver... So here's what I am thinking.

1. Learn to drive my dad's 95 dodge ram turbodiesel 2500, just for the sake of learning manual.

2. Skip Barber does some semi local things, but man that's expensive.

What else can you reccomend to make me a super confident (like enough to race at a track ;) ) driver? I'm in Orlando so I know there has to be some sort of something somewhere that can help me... I just need one of you to rescue me from my ignorance and reccomend it :).

-Ted

Don't drive too fast. Even though its tempting. I got in 3 minor accidents when I was 16 and one major one. I haven't been in an accident since because I'm experienced now, So that first year is important and not being a dumbass is key. Having a nice fast deville is pretty sweet as a first car, try not to bang it up and keep it nice for as long as you can ya know?? Good Luck.

slk230mb
12-30-04, 12:23 PM
I turned 16 July 1st 2003

I got my permit July 2nd 2003

I got my license Augest 11th 2003

I raced at the drag strip Augest 23rd 2003

good times :)

Rick,

What color is your 93. In some it looks red, and in this one it looks steelish... :confused: