: Decision on buying a new SRX please your opinion is needed.

Boatloser
01-11-13, 04:05 PM
My name is Rich. I have driven a Yukon XL Denali since 2007 and before that full size Suburbans. I am getting tired of having all that space behind me as I travel about two hundred miles a day to and from work. I went to a local dealer in New Jersey. I enjoyed the experience as far as handling and ride. What really is making my decision harder is the acceleration and the engine noise coming thru the bulkhead. I can hear the RPM'S rev pretty high when accelerating. This was honestly the only thing that stopped me from my purchase. I felt like I was riding in a lets say Far East vehicle with thin sheet metal. I love the dash in the 2013. I know and understand that I have been driving a bigger vehicle but does any one else agree that listening to the engine shift and go thru its paces is a let down?

Marc NY
01-11-13, 05:10 PM
Hi Rich, welcome to our great site. I too have owned a number of larger vehicles in my day. Yukons, Tahoes, Yukon Denali, Suburbans, Silverados and Enclaves too. The 3.6L engine might be a little louder than what some "might" expect from a Cadillac but I find it to be throaty sounding and very pleasing to hear when I give the SRX a very hard acceleration! I love the power and torque throughout the full RPM range. I would highly recommend the 3.6L engine to anyone. :D

:burn:

st4422
01-11-13, 05:12 PM
I have the opposite problem. At idle the engine is so quiet that I can't tell if it is running or not. It's also very quiet while driving. Usually the only indication of engine/transmission activity is the tach. I have not really floored it much so I can't comment on that situation.

Boatloser
01-11-13, 06:45 PM
I agree at idle the engine is very quiet. I was surprised as I pulled out on Rt 202& 31 and accelerated to get up to speed there is a definitive noise from the engine. I did not any exhaust sound. I could hear the engine wind up thru the gears. I was very satisfied once at a steady driving speed. It was advancing the throttle and listening thru the up shift. Also some people on the forum discussed a lag during shifting. I did not experience that thank goodness. I had a 750L BMW that I sold as it also had a lag in shifting as though the computer was trying to determine what gear to go into. I got rid of the car because of that. It was greatly affected by back road driving not on the highway. My concern is to spend this kind of money and not to be sorry with my choice. The more I talk to actual users I may feel more comfortable in my choice. I am looking at the premium model as it has the better suspension.
Rich

300:29:1
01-11-13, 07:10 PM
I agree at idle the engine is very quiet. I was surprised as I pulled out on Rt 202& 31 and accelerated to get up to speed there is a definitive noise from the engine. I did not any exhaust sound. I could hear the engine wind up thru the gears. I was very satisfied once at a steady driving speed. It was advancing the throttle and listening thru the up shift. Also some people on the forum discussed a lag during shifting. I did not experience that thank goodness. I had a 750L BMW that I sold as it also had a lag in shifting as though the computer was trying to determine what gear to go into. I got rid of the car because of that. It was greatly affected by back road driving not on the highway. My concern is to spend this kind of money and not to be sorry with my choice. The more I talk to actual users I may feel more comfortable in my choice. I am looking at the premium model as it has the better suspension.
Rich

I had an '07 X3 that had terrible shifting with an auto trans. Too much automation. I had it reprogrammed twice and the effects were very short lived. I have found my 2012 SRX to be very smooth, with good and even acceleration. The power is nicely matched to the vehicle. I have not felt that engine noise is excessive, and have also had to look at the tach while idling quietly.

adamjeeps
01-11-13, 07:56 PM
I did not drive an SRX with the premium suspension but I read many reviews that said there was little or no difference with the premium suspension. Also, the front wheel drive gets regular suspension even in premium trim, you must get AWD to get the "upgrade" suspension.

DTurmel
01-11-13, 08:58 PM
I bought my first SRX (2012) back in Nov and during my first test drive I loved how quiet the engine was at idle and loved the exhaust note on acceleration...I personally was not disappointed on the engine sound

My first impression on the transmission response I also thought it was lagging but better when put in sports mode....interestingly I think it got better more I drive it over time....either I got used to it or the transmission is learning and adapting to my driving style

Good luck with your decision and hope you are happy with it.

erdoc48
01-11-13, 10:30 PM
I'm a new owner as well. I haven't found engine noise to be an issue, and the acceleration is more than adequate (don't forget the SRX weighs something like 4200 lbs pulled by a V6, so it's actually pretty decent).

ansoninc
01-11-13, 11:31 PM
I had a 2005 CTS that had what you refer to has "high rev" sound when I sped up to get on the freeway. It was really a little rocket. I was pleased to find my 2012 SRX sounds the same way. I never had any
problems with the transmission in the CTS..
Diana

TheCaptain
01-12-13, 08:59 AM
Some high revving noise is attributed to new DI engines. Even at idle gas is injected at a pressure of 700+psi and makes the engine sound a little extra 'raspy' or dieselish. (tick tick tick)

Boatloser
01-12-13, 09:30 AM
I think my next objective is to drive the vehicle for a longer test ride to try to get all my facts together and make a final decision. I truly love the interior and the new dash is a big WOW factor. Its not the transmission I am worried about but the type of driving I do every day sitting in a car I do not want to hear the process's of the engine. My wife drives an 2012 Outlander and she loves the darn thing. I would not give it the time of day. The engine is loud coming thru the bulkhead and it has a pretty hard ride. She fell in love with it as it fits her behind the wheel and she is comfortable with its body size on the road. In fact my daughter also has one 2007 that we have owned since then and the only service part needed so far was alternator and brakes. Very Very reliable. My Denali is fine but coming out of the BMW and getting in the truck when you step on the brakes it feels like you have none LOL.
I have purchased many cars thru the dealership but not Cadillac. I have always wanted one but could not see myself driving one. I thought it may have had something to do with my age. Now I am over 52 and thinking total comfort with driving ease. We do drive to Florida about twice a year not sure how the kids are going to deal with back seat.
One last question I am 6 feet tall I also purchased two years ago an MDX and found every time I entered the car to sit my head hit the top of the door frame. Is anyone experiencing that? Sorry don't want to be a PIA but you all have the experience that I do not.

Rich

Likely
01-12-13, 10:23 AM
HI Rich...

Just go buy it, you won't be sorry!!!! The 2013 SRX is by far the best SRX built so far. I have an 2010 and am getting ready to trade for the 2013 Premium collection. The 3.6 engine has it all over the 3.0 engine. Really no comparison. I like the throaty sound of the exhaust. Cool interior also.
As i said, Jusy buy it!!!!

miamictsv
01-12-13, 11:22 AM
We just got 2013 SRX Performance collection AWD and my wife love it. Engine noise during hard acceleration is louder then i expected but the thing that bother me the most is how hard you need to slam the door to close. I have 2009 CTS-V
and the doors are actually heavier and very little effort is needed to close them. At 6' you need to test drive the car and make sure you feel comfortable inside and see if any space is left behind you for your kids. If you get performance or premium collection you will get upgraded suspension/ CUE which is worth the price. I would also get the AWD as you live up north. Test drive it in sports mode and i think you will find the transmission fast enough. Interior is by far the best in it's class having seen the BWM X3 and the Audi Q5 and even 2011 ML550. Only Porsche Cayenne is better inside then the SRX but you need to spend an extra 15K and that for me was not worth it. If you find some lack of power don't worry, turbo package and supercharger package are in the works already and in 2 years i will be getting one :)) Like i said my wife love it but the car does have some things that you need to look away and accept it the way it is. I hope this helps :)

DTurmel
01-12-13, 12:36 PM
I think my next objective is to drive the vehicle for a longer test ride to try to get all my facts together and make a final decision. I truly love the interior and the new dash is a big WOW factor. Its not the transmission I am worried about but the type of driving I do every day sitting in a car I do not want to hear the process's of the engine. My wife drives an 2012 Outlander and she loves the darn thing. I would not give it the time of day. The engine is loud coming thru the bulkhead and it has a pretty hard ride. She fell in love with it as it fits her behind the wheel and she is comfortable with its body size on the road. In fact my daughter also has one 2007 that we have owned since then and the only service part needed so far was alternator and brakes. Very Very reliable. My Denali is fine but coming out of the BMW and getting in the truck when you step on the brakes it feels like you have none LOL.
I have purchased many cars thru the dealership but not Cadillac. I have always wanted one but could not see myself driving one. I thought it may have had something to do with my age. Now I am over 52 and thinking total comfort with driving ease. We do drive to Florida about twice a year not sure how the kids are going to deal with back seat.
One last question I am 6 feet tall I also purchased two years ago an MDX and found every time I entered the car to sit my head hit the top of the door frame. Is anyone experiencing that? Sorry don't want to be a PIA but you all have the experience that I do not.

Rich

When I test drove the car, my dealership offered me to keep it for a whole day...was wonderful for giving it a real test and this is the only way to really ensure you are comfortable...thing you cannot achieve on a 20mins test drive....you should try a longer test drive as it seems you are not sure.

I am 6 foot 4 and don't have an issue sitting or fitting in the car.

Boatloser
01-12-13, 12:51 PM
I will give that a try DT thank you for suggesting the idea. Let you know how I make out!!!

TheCaptain
01-12-13, 01:50 PM
I am 6'2" and fit fine. I just have to duck a bit to get in.

edct
01-12-13, 03:50 PM
I just took delivery of a '12 SRX, having traded an '08 DTS. Very happy with it as is my wife. Plenty of room, quiet, and provides. Great ride.

----------

In response to the comment the question on incentives, I rec'd the 5k reduction on sticker, plus 1k on Cadillac loyalty program. This was after negotiating down on the sticker. I also received a fair value for my trade. I wish you luck in your decision.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-14-13, 02:20 PM
Rich, thanks so much for considering an SRX! If you would like the build sheet of a particular SRX you're considering, don't hesitate to contact me with the last eight of its VIN, and I would be happy to provide that information for you. I'm also happy to help research any vehicle questions you have along the way, so email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service