: Cadillac ATS-V On the Way, Will Get Twin-Turbocharged V-6 according Car & Driver

rustybear3
01-11-13, 04:25 PM
...expect outstanding performance, with 060 times below five seconds and a top speed in excess of 170 mph. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/cadillac-ats-v-to-get-twin-turbocharged-v-6-news

rand49er
01-13-13, 11:35 AM
The only way a 3.0TT 380-hp version of an ATS-V would make sense is if there was also a 450 hp (+/-) option, IMHO. The latter is needed to gain bragging rights and to maintain the focus of the perpetually-fawning rags.

EDIT: I see nothing yet of the ATS-V being at NAIAS next week. Hm-m ...

JFJr
01-13-13, 03:24 PM
The only way a 3.0TT 380-hp version of an ATS-V would make sense is if there was also a 450 hp (+/-) option, IMHO. The latter is needed to gain bragging rights and to maintain the focus of the perpetually-fawning rags.

EDIT: I see nothing yet of the ATS-V being at NAIAS next week. Hm-m ...

What would the weight of the ATS-V be, given that the "V" cars have nearly all the options? I don't think a TT V-6 would have sufficient cojones to give the performance that is expected by car guys, and to add insult to injury, it would sound like an insect.

Jud

thebigjimsho
01-14-13, 07:58 PM
I just don't see how a TTV6 will have less than 420hp in a V series vehicle...

JFJr
01-15-13, 09:17 AM
And TT V-6's don't get significantly better gas mileage than the V-8's they're replacing. Example: Ford "Ecoboost" only gets 1 mpg better than the V-8. Another reason to squash the insect.

Jud

BEarle
01-15-13, 02:59 PM
I was at my dealer this past weekend and my sales guy told me there will be no V for the ATS, I don't know why it's kinda stupid since there's the M3,C63,S4 etc

thebigjimsho
01-15-13, 03:22 PM
I was at my dealer this past weekend and my sales guy told me there will be no V for the ATS, I don't know why it's kinda stupid since there's the M3,C63,S4 etc

He's a moron. The V is a definite!

concorso
01-15-13, 10:20 PM
I was at my dealer this past weekend and my sales guy told me there will be no V for the ATS, I don't know why it's kinda stupid since there's the M3,C63,S4 etcThat sales guy is an idiot.

----------

I just don't see how a TTV6 will have less than 420hp in a V series vehicle...Expect the M3 to be around 420 hp. They also claim 240 for their 2.0L Turbo, which is faster in a straight line then the ATS 2.0L 270 hp. Is it the DCT in the BMW helping it along? Regardless, the ATS-V needs 420 at the very least just to loook good on paper. Even then it still might be slower then the M3 with the same advertised hp. An M3 with a DCT and an extra 40 hp will murder the ATS-V with 380 hp and a slushbox. The C63 will most likely get the TTV8, tho it might get the N/A V8. You can be certain it wont be under 400 hp. I cannot accept that Cadillac would fail that hard anymore. This is just another guess from a magazine looking for hits a la Motortrends repetitive claim that the new 'vette would get a 5.5L, regardless of how many times people tried to tell them they were wrong.

rand49er
01-15-13, 11:37 PM
... Expect the M3 to be around 420 hp. They also claim 240 for their 2.0L Turbo, which is faster in a straight line then the ATS 2.0L 270 hp. Is it the DCT in the BMW helping it along? Regardless, the ATS-V needs 420 at the very least just to loook good on paper. Even then it still might be slower then the M3 with the same advertised hp. An M3 with a DCT and an extra 40 hp will murder the ATS-V with 380 hp and a slushbox. The C63 will most likely get the TTV8, tho it might get the N/A V8. You can be certain it wont be under 400 hp. I cannot accept that Cadillac would fail that hard anymore. This is just another guess from a magazine looking for hits a la Motortrends repetitive claim that the new 'vette would get a 5.5L, regardless of how many times people tried to tell them they were wrong.Well stated.

BEarle
01-16-13, 08:30 PM
That's what said, it didn't make sense whatsoever

Hoosier Daddy
02-13-13, 10:27 AM
And TT V-6's don't get significantly better gas mileage than the V-8's they're replacing. Example: Ford "Ecoboost" only gets 1 mpg better than the V-8. Another reason to squash the insect.

Jud
I don't know if you've driven both but the ecoboost is quicker and has better torque down low. I'd still chose it even if it had worse mileage than the 5.0 V8.

----------

I agree the ATS-V needs more than 380 HP but whoever wrote that article doesn't have a clue about what makes a performance car. The GM V8s are much heavier than the turbo V6 would be. Yet they say the reason GM won't put a V8 in is it would steal sales from another model? I might not buy a 380 HP ATS-V but I sure wouldn't buy one that didn't have a near 50-50 weight distribution either.

I don't know if the current V6 would be able to put out 400+ HP but A 3.6 turbo V6 certainly could. A 3.6 with the same HP per CC as the 2.0 would put out nearly 500 HP. And no NA V8 with similar HP can match the low RPM torque of a turbo that was done right.

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 07:22 PM
I don't know if you've driven both but the ecoboost is quicker and has better torque down low. I'd still chose it even if it had worse mileage than the 5.0 V8.

----------

I agree the ATS-V needs more than 380 HP but whoever wrote that article doesn't have a clue about what makes a performance car. The GM V8s are much heavier than the turbo V6 would be. Yet they say the reason GM won't put a V8 in is it would steal sales from another model? I might not buy a 380 HP ATS-V but I sure wouldn't buy one that didn't have a near 50-50 weight distribution either.

I don't know if the current V6 would be able to put out 400+ HP but A 3.6 turbo V6 certainly could. A 3.6 with the same HP per CC as the 2.0 would put out nearly 500 HP. And no NA V8 with similar HP can match the low RPM torque of a turbo that was done right.

No, you are very much mistaken. The LS motors are about even with a large, DOHC V6. Add turbos and plumbing?

As for an Ecoboost V6 vs a Coyote V8, I'll take the V8 anytime. If the TTV6 has any torque advantage over the Coyote, that's great early in 1st. From then, the high-revving and torque from the V8 rules it all over...

----------

And I've got extensive seat time with a new SHO on Brainerd's road course. I'll take the Coyote V8...