: 2012 SRX transmission question

ricksutliffe
01-11-13, 11:04 AM
I have a 2012 SRX 4WD Luxury Edition SRX with the 3.6l V6. While I'm happy with the power and smothness of the 3.6, I'm not as happy with the 6 speed auto transmission. It seems to lag between gears and kind of bogs when downshifting under partial throttle, like freeway lane changing and passing. I don't think this is particular to my car because the SRX i took on a demo ride prior to purchase seemed to have the same problem. I'm comparing it to my wife's 2011 Honda Crosstour 3.5l V6 which changes gears and downshifts much firmer and more pleasantly. Does anyone else feel this way and do you think that it's a dealer serviceable situation?

marks31
01-11-13, 02:35 PM
My 2012 does the same thing if the ECO mode is on. Turn off the ECO mode and it accelerates and shifts without any lags. I leave ECO mode off when driving around town for that very reason.

Mark

phunter1
01-11-13, 02:42 PM
Sounds like the vehicle is in Eco mode? If so, try taking it out of that mode and see if it shifts more to your liking. Eco mode is designed to save gas, so it shifts into higher gears quite quickly, and delays downshifts. Mine didn't shift very well in Eco mode when I got the vehicle, but got better the more I drove it or I just got used to it. In fact, I didn't use Eco mode for the first couple of months I owned my SRX. You can also put it is Sport mode which will firm up the shifts and raise the shift points, or shift it manually yourself. You should be able to find something you like. Personally, I'm quite happy with the trans in mine.

Phil

ricksutliffe
01-11-13, 04:11 PM
The problem is not ECO mode, which I don't like, but it does feel like the shifting lag when in ECO mode. I usually drive it in Sport mode because I prefer the feel of it. The problem I have seems to be mostly when the trans decides to down shift under light acceleration. It almost feels like the engine dies for a second before catching itself, completing the downshift and accelerating. It's actually kind of unnerving. I don't think it's a serious problem and I haven't taken it back to have the service department look at it, but it does annoy me a little. I'm in love with my SRX and this is my only complaint with it. Just wondered if I was alone with this symptom.

phunter1
01-11-13, 08:15 PM
Mine does not do that, so i'd say that it is not normal.

Phil

DTurmel
01-11-13, 10:02 PM
Sounds like the vehicle is in Eco mode? If so, try taking it out of that mode and see if it shifts more to your liking. Eco mode is designed to save gas, so it shifts into higher gears quite quickly, and delays downshifts. Mine didn't shift very well in Eco mode when I got the vehicle, but got better the more I drove it or I just got used to it. In fact, I didn't use Eco mode for the first couple of months I owned my SRX. You can also put it is Sport mode which will firm up the shifts and raise the shift points, or shift it manually yourself. You should be able to find something you like. Personally, I'm quite happy with the trans in mine.

Phil

My experience is exactly the same....it got better over time or I got used to it

paid4c4
01-12-13, 09:33 PM
Having had an Infiniti FX35 with a 7 speed automatic prior to our 2012 SRX4 Premium I don't notice the transmission shifting up or down or down to up. The FX was so bad about shifting the SRX is a pleasure to drive even in Eco.
Bill

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-14-13, 02:17 PM
Ricksutliffe, please let me know if you would like me to investigate your concerns further for you or call your dealership on your behalf! I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and happy to look into this for you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service