: List of problems in your Catera. Get money ready!

car5car
01-10-13, 10:24 PM
Recently I bought 01 Catera with 89K miles (nobody knows, if it is real mileage). I decided to write about my problems because most Cateras have them.
Bad front control arm bushings. (Advance auto parts, ebay)
Bad ball joints. Mine are half-dead.
Bad rear control arm bushings. I'll check them tomorrow, most likely, they are as bad as front ones.
Bad idler arm. (repaired)
Leaking valve covers. (used RTV)
Bad ABS module. ($72 from junk yard)
bad ignition coils (Advance auto)
Bad sway bar link. (Advance auto)
Bad timing belt tensioner/idler pulleys. (Advance auto)
All of listed problems I consider normal for a 12-years old car (except engine)

I also repaired engine, which was overheated, because of bad water pump (owners fault)
I suggest to check listed parts, you probably don't know, that they are bad.

JohnJJO
01-11-13, 12:41 AM
Can u tell me. What's was wrong with idle arm. And I replaced whole front control arms 4 month ago. it was driving so good But shacks came back. Not as bad as it was. I was told its cuz all my rims are bend. And I need new rims. I have steering wheel shaking little bit on highway. When i braking its shake way more. I know little shake can become due to bad balance or bend rims but not when I brake. It's shakes like crazy.and some time pulling to the left or right. Rotors are in perfect condition, brake pads left about 50%. 6 month ago I rebuild my calipers and flush brake fluid, though it will help. So then I replaced control arms and its helped. now its came back. Like I said its not as bad as it was but it annoying. Can't believe that control arm bushing can go out again on Dorman brand control arms that I replaced this summer. Is it really can be the rims.
Thanks

car5car
01-11-13, 07:16 AM
1.Nuts of front bushings have to be tightened when car is down on wheels. Otherwise front bushings will break.

2. Most likely idler arm is bad. Use bid channal locks and move it up and down.

kaustein
01-11-13, 05:07 PM

I have a 13 year old Toyota with none of those issues. Only issue were two O2 sensors which I replaced myself.
7 year old GMC truck that I put $500 for wheel sensors and did the front rotors at the same time.

The Craptera is one of the worst cars. Not just me, but my German GM neighbor who works for GM's European division thoughts

----------

Also you forgot to mention the "bend over and grab your ankles" if you have to take it to a Caddy dealer.

gvjv3
01-12-13, 12:54 PM
:lildevil:I have a 1997 and other than the most common problems it runs great, 5 yrs now with great gas mileage , 125K on it, guess am the lucky one
IT's not a Sport but It's got bling bling :yup:

kaustein
01-13-13, 02:58 PM
Overall looks good. However don't like the silver, side door guards or the wing thingy on the back.

MoistCabbage
01-13-13, 05:13 PM
The side moldings might look better if they were narrower, but all the extra emblems just make cars look busy and tacky IMHO. All too common in my area.

investor74
01-13-13, 08:43 PM
Pimp my Catera.

gvjv3
01-14-13, 12:15 AM
the side silver molding is the stock molding that came with the car, it just has a chrome coating on it, and the wing thingy on the trunk is off a 2000 sport catera, yaa its alittle bling bling but I like it and it sure gets alot of good comments from others here in town, most people never heard of a catera and can't believe its a 1997, most people think it's around 2005 or newer :yup:

kaustein
01-14-13, 10:18 AM
The old people that I hang around with refer to it as not "bling-bling", but "riced out." Not sure if that is a derogatory phrase.

gvjv3
01-14-13, 12:24 PM
their not that old then:D, no one other then me has call it that:halo:

jupiter57
01-14-13, 12:46 PM
The old people that I hang around with refer to it as not "bling-bling", but "riced out." Not sure if that is a derogatory phrase.

HA!
I'm a rather ancient old fart and I would not even consider that "Bling Bling", much less "Ricer"!
I would qualify that as "Personalization" at best, and tastefully done at that.
Heck, I got the wife a '97 & I want to put the chrome wheels & a spoiler on it! (Her Blazer had chrome American Raging Wheels on it, we both loved them!)
I am even considering getting the "facelift" type trunk lid for it as I think it is classier, but in all likelihood, I'll probably just get myself a 2000-2001 Sport before it's over!

JohnJJO
01-17-13, 10:47 PM
is any way i can doit with out removing whole arm with that tool.
and remembered i rent it one time from advance it didnt work, please can u look up for me what the tool part number did u use.
thanks

----------

is any way i can doit with out removing whole arm with that tool.
and remembered i rent it one time from advance it didnt work, please can u look up for me what the tool part number did u use.
thanks
Recently I bought 01 Catera with 89K miles (nobody knows, if it is real mileage). I decided to write about my problems because most Cateras have them.
Bad front control arm bushings. (Advance auto parts, ebay)
Bad ball joints. Mine are half-dead.
Bad rear control arm bushings. I'll check them tomorrow, most likely, they are as bad as front ones.
Bad idler arm. (repaired)
Leaking valve covers. (used RTV)
Bad ABS module. ($72 from junk yard)
bad ignition coils (Advance auto)
Bad sway bar link. (Advance auto)
Bad timing belt tensioner/idler pulleys. (Advance auto)

I also repaired engine, which was overheated, because of bad water pump (owners fault)
I suggest to check listed parts, you probably don't know, that they are bad.

car5car
01-17-13, 10:56 PM
You have to remove control arm.
Check advance auto web site.