Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Maggie IAT's

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  2007V 
#1 ·
I just got an aeroforce gauge for Christmas and have been watching my IATs. They seem to build to 50F over ambient even when driving easy and I've seen 140f when under boost for a while. Just seems high. I was wondering if those are typical temps.

Also when the bypass valve is open does the air still go through the heat exchanger or is that bypassed as well?

Thanks

#3 ·
I watch my IATs and they will sit in the 120s during cruising on a warm day. I use meth injection so my IATs actually drop under boost to into the low 100-110 range. I am also running a 2.6 drive pulling so I'm spinning about 9% faster.

The HEX is down in front of the radiator i think you are speaking about the intercooler which is sandwiched between the SC and the intake manifold. I believe the bypass shoots air down straight into the intake manifold.

#4 ·
One Fast V, can I ask what size of methanol nozzle are using and did you adjust the tune for it? I have a small nozzle on there now and I believe the same size pulley but I would need to verify that.

Yeah, sorry intercooler would have been the better term. Basically the IATs are rising even when not in boost so if the air is bypassing the IC as well then I guess it is just heatsoak from the manifold design, well and the intake and engine bay heat as well.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Regardless of whether or not the bypass valve is being used, the Maggie is still spinning and generating heat and heating up the intake mainfold etc. The intercooler fluid temperature definitely doesn't run much cooler than the iats.

I will find the link for the injector I use for meth but its the cooling mist cm3 nozzle.

#6 ·
That's real similar flow to mine. I just checked and I'm running a the D05 from Devils own, 315cc/min compared to 275cc/min. What is your boost pressure and are you using a controller for the water/meth or just a pressure? Mine just comes on with the the BAP 3psi switch.

Again thanks for the info. I wonder how much water/meth I can give it before it gets too rich.

#11 ·
At 115* the PCM is pulling 1-2 degrees of timing, only 10 or so hp loss. At 150 5-6* and 20-30 loss, at 185 10 plus and 50-60 plus hp loss.

The chiller will bring temos consistantly lower so your tuner can be a bit more aggressive safely and we see 20-50 more rwhp depending on the build/boost.

#13 ·
With My Maggie, I was usually running in the 113* range. With the E Force, i'm running between 52* - 67* from what I've been seeing. Highest it got was 140* while I was cruising on the highway (29* ambient) and the system drained through a leaking fitting on the HEX. I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic the other night on I-95 in Baltimore (accident) and the highest it got was 87*.

Edit: I thought each degree of timing advance with FI was worth a lot more HP than that...more in the 20-45 HP range. It sure as hell feels like that much.

#14 ·
The video shown is at ambient temps in the high 70's. The RX SuperChiller in 100* ambient air temps cools 30-50* below ambient air temps.

In the winter with temps in the near or below freezing, the air-water HE will do a great job of keeping IAT temps cool. but no HE can cool to or below ambient air temp.

:thumbsup:

#15 ·
I used to see 140* if I was sitting in traffic on a hot day then started getting into boost. Now I'm running meth and changed the thermistor in the IAT sensor (reads temps much faster). Normal driving on a hot day is usually under 120*. I'm in NYC so lots of stop n go.

Personally I like to use the smaller nozzle (don't ask me what size). This way I can use full pressure to better atomize the Meth.

I know the search on this site has gotten worse. But if you can find the thread about the "thermistor mod" it might be something your interested in. It basically reads temps faster and give you a better idea of actual temps. If my car is idling with IATs rising, as soon as I bring the RPMs up to 1500, IAT starts to drop 10* in the first few seconds.

Also: LOVE the interceptor. It gives you so much information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.